Subaru Ascent Forum banner
43K views 103 replies 28 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
#1 ·
I have been trying to figure out why the music in my 2020 Touring keeps skipping. The dealer referred me to Subaru HQ, as he can’t figure out the problem. When my iPhone 11 is connected via Bluetooth to the car, the music (iTunes) keeps skipping. I can see the timer for the song being held a few seconds (on the screen of the car) and then rushes to catch up to the iPhone. It also seems like the tempo is all wrong with some songs. This happened with my iPhone 8 and also when the phone was attached to the car with proper usb cable. This is our first Subaru, purchased in November and we love it, but not being able to listen to my music is not good! Already brought car in for updates to tech in late December. Any ideas? Thanks Subaru community

#3 ·
What version of iOS are you running? What you are describing sounds like a data issue.

#4 ·
I don’t know about our Ascent but my Crosstreks have the same issue and it’s been widely known in their forums. It’s like the head unit computer or the phone has a hiccup because it’s doing other things in the background. I don’t notice it when connected by the lightening cord using Apple Play. Music wise, we generally use USBs and don’t have problems skipping for the Ascent/Crosstrek. There is a lawsuit concerning the head unit for the Crosstrek.

#5 ·
What year Crosstrek? Also, since it does not happen with any other Bluetooth devices, that would suggest that the issue is iOS related, and not the head unit.

#7 ·
Please go into settings, General, system information, and let us know what firmware version you are running. Do you have navigation?

#11 ·
I will check the firmware version and reply shortly. Yes, there is navigation.
Thanks to all for helping.
And BTW, my nephew had the make a wish foundation send him to snowboard in Colorado when he was a teenager, and had Leukemia. I went with him on that trip. Thanks for repping them. I’m happy to donate.

#15 ·
I will check the firmware version and reply shortly. Yes, there is navigation.
Thanks to all for helping.
And BTW, my nephew had the make a wish foundation send him to snowboard in Colorado when he was a teenager, and had Leukemia. I went with him on that trip. Thanks for repping them. I’m happy to donate.
Thanks so much!!! And glad I can do what little I can. Wish I could do more.
Software version Rel_UA.19.36.70
I am pretty sure they installed firmware for a different vehicle. But, since you have Nav, you can check yourself at this link. I suspect you will find that the version you should be on is:
  • Rel_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA
  • Maps: North America_2017.03_7181_28/12545/272294/19719
  • Publication date: 2019-12-17 12:08
You can install it yourself with a 16GB+ USB 3.x thumb drive, by following the instructions on the bottom of this page:
Let me know if you need help. I can walk you through wherever you're stuck.

#19 ·
I have been having the same issue with my 2020 Limited. I am on the most up to date ios release and have updated the car's firmware via USB. I went to the dealer and they did not have an answer. It is happening to me in any app over bluetooth. All the media I play is downloaded to my iPhone, not streamed.

I will be eager to hear if you find a fix to the skipping as it is quite annoying.

#17 ·
Check out the version numbers first. If it's wrong, I'd email or call your dealership and let them know.

#20 ·
Mac OS Catalina will not let me install the Map update Portal. Is says “Map Downloader Installer” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information. Anyone else have this problem?
Versions are:
Rel_UE.19.22.70
NA 2017.03_6401_28/1254/272294/16226
Which are different from the MY Subaru website.

#21 ·
Mac OS Catalina will not let me install the Map update Portal. Is says “Map Downloader Installer” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information. Anyone else have this problem?
Versions are:
Rel_UE.19.22.70
NA 2017.03_6401_28/1254/272294/16226
Which are different from the MY Subaru website.
Yes, I ran into that this weekend. Try moving the installer to your desktop and right clicking then selecting open. It eventually gave me an option to continue.

#30 ·
Update to the skipping issue. I went to my dealer and he brought me to the service Dept, the supervisor there said I need to use apple approved (only apple) usb cable to connect my phone to the infotainment system. His answer was direct and seemed that he’s heard of this problem a lot lately. So I haven’t heard anY skipping since then but I’m not a fan of apple car play and I don’t like the fact that I can’t use Bluetooth with the Ascent. Bluetooth is SUCH a standard feature. Im not happy about this and I probably wouldn’t have bought the car had I known this before. Secondly, I showed my dealer the difference between the nav version currently on my car and the one Robert sent (thanks Robert). He told me that the one on my car is the correct one. I don’t believe him. This might be my first and last Subaru. Other than that, I really like the car, but Bluetooth makes my life easy (for the last 10 + years with my Fords).

#31 ·
I would be glad to walk you through updating your head unit properly. Also, please message me the dealership name and the names of who you dealt with.

#32 ·
As for the skipping, it's not Bluetooth or the car, but interaction with the iPhone. It's a common iPhone/car problem with the 13.x releases.

#33 ·
I highly suggest that you take your car to my friends at @Liberty Subaru , and I ensure you they will take great care of you.

#35 ·
Some people have had better luck on different versions of release 13. I have an Android phone, so I cannot test. Sorry.

#38 ·
If you're ever on the island, I can also directly help. I am updating mine tomorrow or the next day, and have a USB stick ready already. I work in Mineola, live in Suffolk.

#41 · (Edited)
I don't use Carplay but had a thought about the skipping problem: Has anyone tried turning off Show Notifications in your Bluetooth>Subaru BT iPhone settings? Could incoming notifications be causing the skipping?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
#42 ·
Interesting idea. I do know that incoming notifications on my phone, even if Android Auto doesn't alert for them, causes audio ducking for each notification, regardless of whether AA is going to show a notification or play a sound. .

I don't use Carplay but had a thought about the skipping problem: Has anyone tried turning off Show Notifications in your Bluetooth>Subaru BT settings? Could oncoming notifications be causing the skipping?

View attachment 3179

#44 ·
This issue cropped up for me this weekend. 2019 Premium no-nav. It was in for service last week and they did the latest software update. Using Android phones via bluetooth. Downloaded audio files skip every couple seconds. It's like a mini buffer that throws off the tempo. It wouldn't just cut out the audio. I haven't really started troubleshooting it yet. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.