Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Awesome, I upgraded last night.

So question. Can you still be playing pandora in the background while the maps program is running?

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Awesome, I upgraded last night.

So question. Can you still be playing pandora in the background while the maps program is running?
Yes. Works perfectly.

I have Waze running on CarPlay with the Waze beta and iOS12. Still a few bugs, but works well overall (including the roadside hazard alerts).
The only feature I haven’t seen yet in the beta is the speed limits and current speed . I’m assuming that will be added eventually. My kids seem to enjoy calling me out when the current speed turns red!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our car arrived this past Monday and we have already updated our Apple stuff and used CarPlay. We are able to use Siri to control our HomeKit devices from the Ascent. Thermostats, garage door opener, lights, and door locks. First time using CarPlay... blown away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think i am in the minority here but I prefer Apple Maps. I've never had an issue with it and i like the way the map looks a little better. I've never tried Waze but will definitely check it out once it comes out of beta.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think i am in the minority here but I prefer Apple Maps. I've never had an issue with it and i like the way the map looks a little better. I've never tried Waze but will definitely check it out once it comes out of beta.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just used google maps ... in carplay - it works ! :) .. but radio volume turnoff completely during directions , and it takes a long pause before and after notification too ...
with Apple Maps you radio volume still on background (i like it better)

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Apple maps tends to send me to the wrong side of a building or park, but other than that it’s pretty ok. Definitely give Waze a try. Since it’s ‘social mapping’ it’s always being updated with traffic conditions so the eta and routing is about as accurate as you’re going to get.

I just hope Waze doesn’t delay their release too long and let people get frustrated with an imperfect google maps. On the flip side, google maps will receive regular updates and only improve with time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Apple maps tends to send me to the wrong side of a building or park, but other than that it’s pretty ok. Definitely give Waze a try. Since it’s ‘social mapping’ it’s always being updated with traffic conditions so the eta and routing is about as accurate as you’re going to get.

I just hope Waze doesn’t delay their release too long and let people get frustrated with an imperfect google maps. On the flip side, google maps will receive regular updates and only improve with time.
I've been using Waze on and off since they were still an Israeli start-up. Google bought them back in 2013 - https://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/i...a-boost-to-its-location-and-mapping-business/ - but thankfully they have been able to continue relatively independent operations and improve over time. I did expect to see Waze social features migrate to Google Maps and Waze get phased out over time, but perhaps (hopefully) not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, Glad to see Apple finally using Google for some GOOD. I always gave my iPhone friends crap for being late all the time or in the wrong spot due to Apple Maps! Welcome to 2018 :)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't get Google Maps to work on Carplay in my 2018 Outback Limited. Wonder what the difference is? Maybe it has not been released to Colorado yet.
Its there once you update to IOS 12 (Unless your running an Iphone 5S or lower). This is the first go around for the Google Maps app. It will only get better with time. Hopefully this will make apple step up Apple Maps instead of just letting it die a slow death.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Big fan of certain "alerts" from Waze, that's usually my go-to...

But I do like how Google Maps will show me the path that I can click on to show me alternatives; Waze locks me into the three choices and that's it.

Good example is the GSP here, which splits to local and express lanes. Sometimes Waze has me try to change from Local to Express or vice-versa even though the times are practically identical. I'd rather just keep on in my lane.

For me, the timer on Waze is a little misleading... I have a choice between two toll roads to/from work or an urban route through the city. The city route is only 10 miles and the highways are about 15-20, so Waze likes to route me through the city since it's the "closest" route. But, in terms of "easiest" drive, I'd rather take one of the better highways even if it takes a few minutes longer.

I would like to have the functionality to set a preset favorite every single day so I can see how long it takes, and have the other two routes to give me alternatives, but sounds like not many do that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts