Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just updated my iPhone yesterday, today none of my Apple car play app work, and I can’t stream music through Bluetooth. Apple swears it’s not their problem but after all their trouble shooting I should wipe my phone. I don’t rrally want to do that, anyone have other ideas?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Try this?

I just updated my iPhone yesterday, today none of my Apple car play app work, and I can’t stream music through Bluetooth. Apple swears it’s not their problem but after all their trouble shooting I should wipe my phone. I don’t rrally want to do that, anyone have other ideas?
Remove the car from the Bluetooth list in the phone. Remove the phone from the bluetooth list in the car. Uninstall Carplay, clear Carplay data, and reinstall it. Then, try reconnecting Carplay and bluetooth.

There are supposedly ongoing changes in Carplay to improve audio quality that may have affected operation, and usually, it just requires resetting cached data used by Carplay and bluetooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried deleting the phone from the car and deleted the Bluetooth from phone still doesn’t work. What sucks is we are on a road trip and I can’t stanf the navigation in the car.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just tried deleting the phone from the car and deleted the Bluetooth from phone still doesn’t work. What sucks is we are on a road trip and I can’t stanf the navigation in the car.
Did you reboot your phone? Sometimes after an update an extra reboot works wonders. I'm on 12.1.2 as well on an old iPhone 7 but CarPlay didn't skip a beat after the update.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For the iOS google map to work, does the phone need to be plugged in (via lightning usb cable) or thru Bluetooth?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It needs to be plugged in. Tried several different cords and nothing. Weird thing is my music won’t stream via Bluetooth either it says no media is connected, yet when I check the phone it’s paired

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
It needs to be plugged in. Tried several different cords and nothing. Weird thing is my music won’t stream via Bluetooth either it says no media is connected, yet when I check the phone it’s paired
Uninstall Carplay, clear app data for it and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
While CarPlay can't actually be deleted from the phone, you can go to Settings > General > CarPlay and then "forget" the Subaru. It might help if you haven't already tried that.

...but with Bluetooth not working either, it sounds like there's more to it than that. I can't recall if you need to pair twice (once for phone and another for media?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here... no bluetooth or Carplay connection after updating to 12.1.2. I've done the following as folks have suggested with no success:
- Reboot phone
- Remove phone from car bluetooth
- Remove car from phone bluetooth
- "Forget" the car in Carplay
- Rebooted phone again

After doing all of this, my phone "connected" to the bluetooth and Carplay but the Carplay App on the head unit remains grayed out and my phone immediately unpaired from the bluetooth. My phone is an iPhone X.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Thoughts!!!

Wow, I think you all jogged my memory on something. This may not apply to Carplay, but, on Android Auto, people are having problems when Android Auto is *also* trying to use Bluetooth, and AA's bluetooth connection needs to be turned off (this does not affect regular bluetooth connections when AA is not running).

Try disabling bluetooth in JUST Carplay if possible. The head unit routes bluetooth audio to (a) the bluetooth phone connection or (b) the bluetooth "MEDIA" connection (physical button on your head unit, then select "bluetooth" on screen).

Because of that, AA does not work with bluetooth connectivity turned on in the APP. I bet the same applies to Carplay. Wireless Android Auto and likely wireless Carplay interfere on various cars that use USB only AA and Carplay.

https://www.wikihow.tech/Set-Up-CarPlay-on-an-iPhone

Select "USB ONLY" in Carplay.

While CarPlay can't actually be deleted from the phone, you can go to Settings > General > CarPlay and then "forget" the Subaru. It might help if you haven't already tried that.

...but with Bluetooth not working either, it sounds like there's more to it than that. I can't recall if you need to pair twice (once for phone and another for media?)
FYI, when I updated my iPhone to 12.1.2 IOS it worked with the Apple car play just fine. At least you know it worked for someone.
Same issue here... no bluetooth or Carplay connection after updating to 12.1.2. I've done the following as folks have suggested with no success:
- Reboot phone
- Rebooted phone again

After doing all of this, my phone "connected" to the bluetooth and Carplay but the Carplay App on the head unit remains grayed out and my phone immediately unpaired from the bluetooth. My phone is an iPhone X.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here's an article that might help for those affected.

https://appletoolbox.com/2018/12/carplay-not-working-after-ios-update-how-to-fix/

It was updated on 12/18 so these tips should be pretty current.

Contents

0.1 Related Articles
1 Reset and update your vehicle’s infotainment system
2 Try different USB cables and ports
3 Make sure CarPlay is enabled and not blocked
3.1 Check Restrictions for CarPlay
4 Bluetooth issue with CarPlay and your iPhone
5 How to fix night mode for maps
6 Spotify not working with CarPlay
7 CarPlay Issues with iPhone XS/XR and iOS 12.1
8 No Time? Check Out Our Video!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

There is NO Wireless Carplay support in the car, and the two do not work together.

·
Registered
680 Posts
- Reboot phone
- Rebooted phone again

make sure you hard Reboot phone … powering down and up is not a Reboot

also reboot car radio too

·
Registered
155 Posts
Remove the car from the Bluetooth list in the phone. Remove the phone from the bluetooth list in the car. Uninstall Carplay, clear Carplay data, and reinstall it. Then, try reconnecting Carplay and bluetooth.

There are supposedly ongoing changes in Carplay to improve audio quality that may have affected operation, and usually, it just requires resetting cached data used by Carplay and bluetooth.
Hi Robert, It work as what you said. My iPhone 7 with OS 12.1.2 work with Ascent via Carplay again. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after doing all the various reboots, resetting network settings, turning off Screen Time, etc. I got CarPlay to work again. It worked well for a few weeks then stopped working AGAIN right before a long road trip. After fighting with the infotainment system and my phone for an hour, I was able to resolve the issue yet again. Only annecdotal evidence, but both times it went haywire, I started the car remotely with Starlink and plugged in my phone before hitting the push button start.

Edited to thank folks for all the helpful advice!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So after doing all the various reboots, resetting network settings, turning off Screen Time, etc. I got CarPlay to work again. It worked well for a few weeks then stopped working AGAIN right before a long road trip. After fighting with the infotainment system and my phone for an hour, I was able to resolve the issue yet again. Only annecdotal evidence, but both times it went haywire, I started the car remotely with Starlink and plugged in my phone before hitting the push button start.

Edited to thank folks for all the helpful advice!
I think you're on to something. My experience with CarPlay since its inception is that it doesn't like being connected before the stereo is booted up. You can get lucky, but most failures I've seen are from prematurely connecting. I start the car first anyway to get the engine running for a few seconds. The radio boots up very quickly - much more so than the aftermarket CarPlay head units I've had.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wow, I think you all jogged my memory on something. This may not apply to Carplay, but, on Android Auto, people are having problems when Android Auto is *also* trying to use Bluetooth, and AA's bluetooth connection needs to be turned off (this does not affect regular bluetooth connections when AA is not running).

Try disabling bluetooth in JUST Carplay if possible. The head unit routes bluetooth audio to (a) the bluetooth phone connection or (b) the bluetooth "MEDIA" connection (physical button on your head unit, then select "bluetooth" on screen).

Because of that, AA does not work with bluetooth connectivity turned on in the APP. I bet the same applies to Carplay. Wireless Android Auto and likely wireless Carplay interfere on various cars that use USB only AA and Carplay.

https://www.wikihow.tech/Set-Up-CarPlay-on-an-iPhone

Robert, so maybe this would fix my issue with Android Auto? Works fine for me when I'm alone. Then my husband gets in the car and wants to use bluetooth to play some media. I have to unplug my phone altogether, no Android Auto, to allow him to play his stuff. If I disable bluetooth in Android Auto, will that let me run Waze and him play his podcasts???

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Good question...

Robert, so maybe this would fix my issue with Android Auto? Works fine for me when I'm alone. Then my husband gets in the car and wants to use bluetooth to play some media. I have to unplug my phone altogether, no Android Auto, to allow him to play his stuff. If I disable bluetooth in Android Auto, will that let me run Waze and him play his podcasts???
I've not tried it, but, regardless, so AA doesn't get confused, bluetooth should be turned off in it for the Ascent. You can still have bluetooth connected by the phone. If so, I'd disconnect that and connect the other phone's bluetooth connection.

Then, you MAY be able to run AA, and by using the media button, connect to the other phone for media playback.

But, I haven't tried it. If I get a chance, I will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts