Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who have preordered . Did you got better price with invoice or going through Costco. My guess since Ascent is new it will take few months to get one at invoice .

Is Edmunds good place to start for prices in the Northeast area ??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. When i bought my 2016 3.6L Outback they were in high demand/low supply in the Denver area. It was explained to me that Subaru put the 3.6L in only 10% of the Legacy sedans and Outbacks so they were hard to come by. One dealer quoted me MSRP (Mike Shaw), one $1700 over invoice (Groove). I then went through Costco and got a quote around invoice (if not a bit lower, don't remember). I then contacted Heuberger in CO Springs and they beat the Costco quote by a fair amount, also under invoice. On a side note, the guy from Groove called me back to check in. I told him I was getting it through Heuberger but would have gone with him if he had at least been close. He said "we would have matched their price". Too late. I do take my car there for all warranty and maintenance so they are making some $ from me.

If you are in one of these areas that are quoting MSRP or near it I would get on the Costco site. Pick a zip code near you but closer to a bigger city as they have more competition. You will then hear from one or more dealers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For anyone who have preordered . Did you got better price with invoice or going through Costco. My guess since Ascent is new it will take few months to get one at invoice .

Is Edmunds good place to start for prices in the Northeast area ??
I mentioned I had a costco membership before ascent was in the costco system and I was offered the invoice price.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. When i bought my 2016 3.6L Outback they were in high demand/low supply in the Denver area. It was explained to me that Subaru put the 3.6L in only 10% of the Legacy sedans and Outbacks so they were hard to come by. One dealer quoted me MSRP (Mike Shaw), one $1700 over invoice (Groove). I then went through Costco and got a quote around invoice (if not a bit lower, don't remember). I then contacted Heuberger in CO Springs and they beat the Costco quote by a fair amount, also under invoice. On a side note, the guy from Groove called me back to check in. I told him I was getting it through Heuberger but would have gone with him if he had at least been close. He said "we would have matched their price". Too late. I do take my car there for all warranty and maintenance so they are making some $ from me.

If you are in one of these areas that are quoting MSRP or near it I would get on the Costco site. Pick a zip code near you but closer to a bigger city as they have more competition. You will then hear from one or more dealers.

Good luck.
Your first two mistakes were going to Mike Shaw and Groove. Neither dealer is "price competitive." The parts/service department at Mike Shaw is great, but the sales department adds a "market adjustment" to their vehicle prices. I have found AutoNation Subaru West to be the most competitive and will even match Heuberger pricing.

Are you trading in your 3.6 Outback? It is a high demand vehicle. I imagine you would get more for your Outback from AutoNation than Heuberger on an outright sale to the dealer, but I may be wrong. Please let us know how much under sticker they purchase your Outback 3.6 for when the time comes. I am guessing $6,000-8000 below original MSRP.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your first two mistakes were going to Mike Shaw and Groove. Neither dealer is "price competitive." The parts/service department at Mike Shaw is great, but the sales department adds a "market adjustment" to their vehicle prices. I have found AutoNation Subaru West to be the most competitive and will even match Heuberger pricing.
Its good to hear Autonation Subaru West is more generous. However the Autonation Subaru in Maryland would only give me a discount of $1300 off the MSRP. They refused to go lower than that. At the rate they are selling I am thinking I should not pre-order and wait till more Ascents hit the show room before I purchase. Seeing the talk of estimated delivery dates in July/August makes me think a better time to buy would be in November or December.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Its good to hear Autonation Subaru West is more generous. However the Autonation Subaru in Maryland would only give me a discount of $1300 off the MSRP. They refused to go lower than that. At the rate they are selling I am thinking I should not pre-order and wait till more Ascents hit the show room before I purchase. Seeing the talk of estimated delivery dates in July/August makes me think a better time to buy would be in November or December.
I ordered with AutoNation here in California and was quoted at MSRP? Planning to try to negotiate when the car arrives based on what nearby dealerships are doing but it brings me hope to hear that they are below MSRP elsewhere. Maybe. Going rate locally for someone not willing to wait might just be MSRP. :plain:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ordered with AutoNation here in California and was quoted at MSRP? Planning to try to negotiate when the car arrives based on what nearby dealerships are doing but it brings me hope to hear that they are below MSRP elsewhere. Maybe. Going rate locally for someone not willing to wait might just be MSRP. :plain:
I contacted nearly every dealership in CA. Only one came in about $500 off MSRP, the rest were either MRSP or at the time didn't have pricing.
I got mine at invoice, but only because of a typo the dealer made. Granted they tried to fast talk their way out of it.... but I kindly reminded them they had already taken a cash deposit and it would be bad bad bad to try and get out of it.

I read somewhere in one of these threads that Cypress Coast Mazda Subaru may be willing to come down at least $1000, perhaps more if you REALLY haggle it out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Calimom- I ordered with Bakersfield and will get the car delivered to my house at about $2500 under MSRP. It’s about $1000 more than Berman and Grand, but the shipping from Illinois to CA offsets the savings, so I was ok with it.

Until someone else proves me wrong, Bakersfield has the best pricing in CA (excluding Gregor’s price mistake deal that can’t be replicated - I’ve tried).

·
Registered
965 Posts
I contacted nearly every dealership in CA. Only one came in about $500 off MSRP, the rest were either MRSP or at the time didn't have pricing.
I got mine at invoice, but only because of a typo the dealer made. Granted they tried to fast talk their way out of it.... but I kindly reminded them they had already taken a cash deposit and it would be bad bad bad to try and get out of it.
It's going to be what the market dictates. Everyone in my local market is at MSRP right now. So I'm selling the car at MSRP. I've done a couple of things on my own for repeat customers of mine that will get me yelled at when the cars come in, but I've been yelled at before.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Calimom- I ordered with Bakersfield and will get the car delivered to my house at about $2500 under MSRP. It’s about $1000 more than Berman and Grand, but the shipping from Illinois to CA offsets the savings, so I was ok with it.

Until someone else proves me wrong, Bakersfield has the best pricing in CA (excluding Gregor’s price mistake deal that can’t be replicated - I’ve tried).
gobears157 and I ordered from the same dealer. I wonder if we'll pick ours up at the same time :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Interesting about Heuberger or other dealers that ship/deliver. I don't understand why it's relevant, since they're going to require shipping. Why would a dealer in my neck of the woods (NJ) care about the Heuberger deal? It probably costs the same in the end once shipping's involved. My issue is my trade in, so that's not really a viable option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts