Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the dealers around me their inventory...lol not sure why..LOL. I am seeing a lot more Limited but none with a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have been watching the dealers around me their inventory...lol not sure why..LOL. I am seeing a lot more Limited but none with a sunroof.
That's an easy answer. I saw some Limited Ascents with an MSRP of $44,000+. That is ridiculous. Most people would opt for the $40,000 Limited, or they would order the Touring.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered the Limited w opt 23, 42920. The touring was more and I didnt like the java interior. Now you have me relooking this.?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I ordered the Limited w opt 23, 42920. The touring was more and I didnt like the java interior. Now you have me relooking this.?
I hated the Java interior in theory, with my magnetite grey metallic exterior. Now, I am loving it thoroughly. YMMV.

Either way, I am thrilled I got the Touring, and glad I decided I wanted the Touring enough to take the interior color I didn't originally like. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's an easy answer. I saw some Limited Ascents with an MSRP of $44,000+. That is ridiculous. Most people would opt for the $40,000 Limited, or they would order the Touring.
It all comes down to the buyer. Some people are ****-bent on getting a specific monthly payment and a 45 MSRP may prohibit that, but 44k might be doable. Other people may not care for the brown, or care about the extra gadgetry, but -really- want a moonroof/nav/leather; a loaded Limited is there for those people. In my experience...people either love the Java Brown leather OR they absolutely despise it.

Another way to think of it is like this:

You can get a loaded Premium for the same price as a stripped down Limited...so why even bother getting leather? It honestly isn't that big of a deal, cloth is much better than it used to be. Answer: People want what they want and don't want what they don't want.

·
Registered
411 Posts
... Answer: People want what they want and don't want what they don't want.
This right there. I ordered my Limited the way I did (see signature), because at the time of order, a Touring was too much. I did love the Java Brown Leather, but that coupled with a few options I wouldn't miss, I went with a well optioned Limited.

Found a dealer who would move more than $500 off price and was happy. Now if September would quickly get here already I would be more than happy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so why even bother getting leather? It honestly isn't that big of a deal, cloth is much better than it used to be.
True, the newer materials are better than they used to be, especially the tighter woven stain resistant cloth. We will only do leather for a couple reasons:
Most manufacturers do not currently offer cloth with heated seats, but more importantly with dogs, nothing cleans up better than leather. We do cover the seats, but the fur that is shed will wipe right up off the leather (that which finds it way through or around the covering) where it will stick into the cloth materials.

Plus I want to know that the hide off of the cows that I am eating medium rare is being used for something :grin:

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can get a loaded Premium for the same price as a stripped down Limited...so why even bother getting leather? It honestly isn't that big of a deal, cloth is much better than it used to be. Answer: People want what they want and don't want what they don't want.
You also have to remember there are more perks about a Limited vs a loaded Premium than just leather. A Limited will have the following features / options that are not available with a Premium, even with the top option package.

-LED Headlights (important to me, and a factor in whether a vehicle has a Top Safety Pick + rating from the IIHS)
-Heated steering wheel and second row seats
-Leather wrapped dash trim (improved over the cheap looking patterned plastic trim on a Premium)
-Higher quality central display screen

Again, as you said, it comes down to whether or not someone wants those features or prefers having a sunroof and navigation on a Premium for a similar price. It is nice that we have options, and people have different reasoning and usages for choosing one over the other.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
304 Posts
You also have to remember there are more perks about a Limited vs a loaded Premium than just leather. A Limited will have the following features / options that are not available with a Premium, even with the top option package.

-LED Headlights (important to me, and a factor in whether a vehicle has a Top Safety Pick + rating from the IIHS)
-Heated steering wheel and second row seats
-Leather wrapped dash trim (improved over the cheap looking patterned plastic trim on a Premium)
-Higher quality central display screen

Again, as you said, it comes down to whether or not someone wants those features or prefers having a sunroof and navigation on a Premium for a similar price. It is nice that we have options, and people have different reasoning and usages for choosing one over the other.
I was simplifying for the example, but yes, you are correct. Its the same way with limited vs touring though. You can go limited for less, but you don't get several features offered that you'd get on the touring. That was part of my point.

However, when dealing with the average car buyer I can attest that the full color MFD has about 0 selling power and (for Georgia) heated steering wheels aren't too big of a deal. Sometimes people will care about the headlights, but comparing a forum (enthusiast level) to average Joe, most don't know and of those that didn't know before hand, won't factor it into the purchase decision anyway. Someone selling up north or out west might have a different list of key selling points.

The main selling points for cars (in my area, general population) are (in somewhat of a particular order):

Leather
Backup Camera
Hands Free
Eyesight/BSD/RAB/RCTA
Navigation
Moonroof

For the safety minded, LED SRF/Eyesight etc and a few other things tend to make their way to the top, but those customers are a little more rare than you'd think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As discussed in other threads, buyers who want a bench seat and luxury/safety options have no choice but to buy fully loaded limiteds. Our dealer said every loaded limited with a bench seat is selling immediately. The inventories bear this out. There are plenty of 7 passenger (captain chairs) Ascents for sale at every dealer, but very few 8 passenger. If bench seat was offered in a Touring, it would not be necessary to buy a $44K Limited.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I hated the Java interior in theory, with my magnetite grey metallic exterior. Now, I am loving it thoroughly. YMMV.

Either way, I am thrilled I got the Touring, and glad I decided I wanted the Touring enough to take the interior color I didn't originally like. :tango_face_wink:
I would love to have the Java interior!!!! I don't need the bell and whistle that comes w/ the touring though

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, I went with the limited because I did not like the Java brown interior of the touring , it reminded me of my grandfather’s Cadillac from the 70s....old & frumpy.... just a subjective opinion of course:angel: .....,I also had several cars that had a moon roof in the past and never used them & thought that they were pointless to have....So why pay pay for that.?... again another subjective opinion:angel: ..... only thing I did want was the HK upgraded stereo .....Not Going to pay $3000 for that feature when I can probably get something nice aftermarket...,
If I could have gotten the black interior (or something besides java or ivory)on the Touring I might have, just might have, it was close , gone with the Touring and ended up with a unwanted moonroof once again....
Almost waited until next year to see if more interior options might be offered on the Touring but I will need a car before that.:tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
160 Posts
it reminded me of my grandfather’s Cadillac from the 70s....old & frumpy....
Any chance your grandfather's Cadillac was a convertible? If so, is it still in the family? If you didn't guess, I am looking for an older convertible Cadillac or Lincoln...brown interior would be AWESOME :grin: I have a 1978 classic Mini, so I figure since I have one of the smallest cars of the 70s, I should get one of the largest...just for comparison of course. :devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts