Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent Touring with 1200 miles on it was purchased in April of 2019. A few days ago I started the Ascent and began to pull forward and I'm not going anywhere. Put in park and tried again (with more throttle), then I noticed the PARK dash light was on and the Electronic Emergency Brake was activated. Odd, not sure why I would have done that. With a shrug I was off. The next day I was stuck for sometime in a drive thru line so I powered off the motor for a couple minutes. When I started up again, I saw the PARK light come on by itself. Now I know I didn't set the brake or accidentally brush up against it. Yesterday it happened again as I started the car to leave work. Anyone else have a similar experience? The dealer was unfamiliar with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should check to see if the auto vehicle hold feature (AVH) is enabled. If it is then turn it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I have been using the AVH feature and leaving it on. I had heard that may save on transmission wear. Normally, I do see the AVH light on and the little under lying "o" when I start the vehicle. And normally it disengages when I tap the brake or the gas to proceed. It sounds like this may be confusing the E-Brake and a bad idea.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From the manual:

Under any of the following conditions, the Auto Vehicle Hold function will be automatically released and the electronic parking brake will be automatically applied.

. The Auto Vehicle Hold function has been in operation for 10 minutes.
. The driver’s seatbelt is unfastened.
. The ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position.
. The vehicle is stopped on a steep slope.
. The Auto Vehicle Hold function is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine seems to be tied to the AVH, when the AVH comes on and I then put it in Park, the emergency brake comes on. I have gotten in the habit of pushing the brake switch whenever I shift from park, I don't even look anymore to see if it is on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the manual:

Under any of the following conditions, the Auto Vehicle Hold function will be automatically released and the electronic parking brake will be automatically applied.

. The Auto Vehicle Hold function has been in operation for 10 minutes.
. The driver’s seatbelt is unfastened.
. The ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position.
. The vehicle is stopped on a steep slope.
. The Auto Vehicle Hold function is malfunctioning.
That would account for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mine seems to be tied to the AVH, when the AVH comes on and I then put it in Park, the emergency brake comes on. I have gotten in the habit of pushing the brake switch whenever I shift from park, I don't even look anymore to see if it is on.
Thanks Ncnuke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts