Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent been experiencing intermittent high idle. On a cold start normally it will race up to 1500 rpm, til it reach operating temperature and it will drop back down to 600 rpm. On some occasion when I shut off the warm engine, restarted after it’s been off for a hour, the rpm will stay up there like a cold start up. Slowly idle will drop back down( a good 40 second) on it’s own, but my question is car coolant temperature is still hot, why idle so high? especially when shifting into gear, I felt the jerk.
The Ascent currently have 2400 miles, no check engine light or any other light. It just kind of strange it happen on warm running engine .
Can any one shred some light? Maybe some updated software.
Thanks
Sonicrex03

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sir, A/C is not even on. Just randomly happen, not sure what, but on my 09 forester even @ cold start high idle, once you hit the gas pedal or put in neutral, Rpm will drop.
Maybe it’s normal for Ascent to run like that. Curious to see anyone’ Ascent did that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our Ascent does this. I do believe reading in the manual why. I believe it has something to do with getting the engine temperature up faster to optimum operating temp. I also know my Crosstrek does the same and lowers as soon as the blue light turns off. In hot weather, the Crosstrek drops the blue light faster thus the rpms steadies out. Even after it ran, it still starts up high, the blue light maybe on or off, but rpms settles quickly. My old 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra did the same thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok good, so at least I know I’m not the only one that see it happen. I guess just let it reach operating temperature before shift into gear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Technically, you can drive the car at anytime. Subaru states you can drive the car when the blue light is on but don’t mash on the gas. Basically, let the car warm up before you tax the engine with a zero to high rate of speed. Gradually getting to the speed limit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts