Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had and tried countless remedies to fix this problem and nothing so far works
Sometimes it works perfectly
Sometimes it doesn’t work at all
Anyone know who owns the Modem
Is it owned by Subaru or AT&T
Could that possibly be the problem

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
What type phone? There's a signal quality setting on most Android devices that will make it connect and disconnect from both WiFi and Cell (and swap back and forth).

Have had and tried countless remedies to fix this problem and nothing so far works
Sometimes it works perfectly
Sometimes it doesn’t work at all
Anyone know who owns the Modem
Is it owned by Subaru or AT&T
Could that possibly be the problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an iPhone 10
When the signal is there no one has trouble connecting to it
Everyone’s device connects
Problem is the signal is not always there. Never the same twice. We leave the house and it has a signal almost immediately and connection is perfect.
next time we leave it has no signal at all. Same place same time and you never know for sure if your going to have a connection. Number of calls to AT&T and conversations with my Subaru dealer and no one has any ideas that we haven’t tried already. That’s why I asked about the modem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Strange, I was just going to see if anyone has used the built in hot spot. I recently went back to AT&T and was wondering if it was worth it

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I have an iPhone 10
Problem is the signal is not always there. Never the same twice. We leave the house and it has a signal almost immediately and connection is perfect.
next time we leave it has no signal at all. Same place same time and you never know for sure if your going to have a connection. Number of calls to AT&T and conversations with my Subaru dealer and no one has any ideas that we haven’t tried already. That’s why I asked about the modem.
One thing that some people suggested worked with an iPhone was to totally delete the wifi profile from the phones, rename the hotspot in the car (make sure it does not conflict with any other hotspot or wifi router name you use, such as your home's or the phone's hotspots) and use a simpler password (no special characters, not too long). Re-pair the phones to the hotspot.

Strange, I was just going to see if anyone has used the built in hot spot. I recently went back to AT&T and was wondering if it was worth it
Works great for me... had it since day one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Works great for me... had it since day one.
[/QUOTE]
I'm just trying to see if it's worth it. I see on the website it's $20 extra a month and while I would rather not spend $20 a month on something I don't really use that often because I myself have unlimited data, my kids have old cell phones of mine that just use Wi-Fi with no SIM card. This would be helpful with them being able to use their phones in the car without having to buy them a SIM card and spend even more money

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I'm just trying to see if it's worth it. I see on the website it's $20 extra a month and while I would rather not spend $20 a month on something I don't really use that often because I myself have unlimited data, my kids have old cell phones of mine that just use Wi-Fi with no SIM card. This would be helpful with them being able to use their phones in the car without having to buy them a SIM card and spend even more money
I think it would work fine for that. I bring a no-sim spare phone (I use it for video and photo editing) and a few other simless wifi devices, and it works well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it would work fine for that. I bring a no-sim spare phone (I use it for video and photo editing) and a few other simless wifi devices, and it works well.
I have a question about the Hot Spot. Does the AT&T hot spot serve as a way to connect a PC to the Internet? I know dumb question. I am looking into a MiFi but if the Hot Spot on the Ascent would serve the purpose of internet connection then I would skip the MiFi.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a question about the Hot Spot. Does the AT&T hot spot serve as a way to connect a PC to the Internet? I know dumb question. I am looking into a MiFi but if the Hot Spot on the Ascent would serve the purpose of internet connection then I would skip the MiFi.
Yes. It basically creates a "Wi-Fi" signal from a mobile network

·
Registered
48 Posts
works like a home wifi and you can connect up to 8 devices I believe, and speed will very base on your plan, prepaid or postpaid

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an iPhone 10
did you try the setting to broadcasting 5G signal instead of 2.4G?

·
Registered
48 Posts
GHz, not G. We're going to create massive panic and confusion if we don't specify gigahertz 😂
Same .The "2.4G" and "5G" numbers in Wi-Fi are radio frequency bands. 2.4G is short for the 2.4GHz band, and 5G is short for the 5GHz band, same as your dual-band or tri-band router shows, can't be that difficult to confuse...

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Same .The "2.4G" and "5G" numbers in Wi-Fi are radio frequency bands. 2.4G is short for the 2.4GHz band, and 5G is short for the 5GHz band, same as your dual-band or tri-band router shows, can't be that difficult to confuse...
Well, I was confused. I wasn't sure if you were talking about 2.4Ghz wifi, or 5G telecommunications standard.

To add more confusion to the pile, I understand the head unit is only capable of 2.4Ghz on a 4G network. No 5G, no 5Ghz.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I was confused. I wasn't sure if you were talking about 2.4Ghz wifi, or 5G telecommunications standard.

To add more confusion to the pile, I understand the head unit is only capable of 2.4Ghz on a 4G network. No 5G, no 5Ghz.
well, please go through the settings in your headunit thoroughly. the subaru headunit can broadcasting either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi signal, but not simultaneously at same time. And,
Just to clarify, the headunit can only receive AT&T 4G LTE signal, not 5G. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an iPhone 10
I have been having the same problem over the last year... sometimes our devices will connect (a variety of iOS products from iPhone 5s to the 8, iPad 2 to 6th Gen) and sometimes they won't.

What's more, on a device that won't connect (or was connected but drops), if I go into wi-fi settings and manually attempt to (re-)connect to the network, it will prompt me for the password, which - whether I enter it manually or have shared from another device - I will be told that it's the incorrect password.... but here's the strange part: if I hit cancel and then just let the device sit, in a few minutes it will eventually re-establish the connection on its own.

I have tried both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz settings, I have changed the SSID to something very unique, I have made the password very simple (no special characters and only one capital letter), and nothing has solved the issue. Additionally, it occurs just as often on my kids' iPad mini 4's as it does on my iPhone 8 or 6th Gen iPad. It can even happen when I'm sitting in a parking lot for an extended period of time (i.e. no change in cell towers, signal strength, etc.). Notably, however, my wife's laptop (2nd Gen MacBook Air 7,2; 2016) has never dropped wi-fi in the car, or at least she's never pointed it out... although she doesn't use her laptop in the car more than a few times/year, so consider the sample size there.

I think I've eliminated device-specific and cellular/LTE signal-quality issues, which would seem to indicate an issue with the modem itself. That said, I don't know if this equipment is covered under the vehicle warranty, but even if it was, I don't know how I'd go about demonstrating it's faulty to a Subby repair tech who probably doesn't have any training on the IT/comm's devices.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just to add to this and bump it up in hopes of a solution...our wifi hotspot has rarely worked correctly. We couldn't get a signal sitting in our driveway or on any of the major freeways and interstates or metropolitan areas. We have android phones, on our last vacation I missed an assignment because I couldn't connect my laptop at all, the hotspot would connect fine but had no internet service.

And for some reason it won't connect at all to our kids fire tablet, the hotspot isn't even recognized. We finally gave up on it and canceled it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts