Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out to control the interior lights in their Ascent? When the car is turned off or when the doors are open the interior light will turn on no matter what. While this seems like a small issue consider a baby sleeping in the car who will get a face full of bright light causing them to wake up. I don’t know why Subaru would remove the option to keep the lights off (available in every other car in the world including other Subaru models) unless of course it’s there and I just need to find it.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Has anyone figured out to control the interior lights in their Ascent? When the car is turned off or when the doors are open the interior light will turn on no matter what. While this seems like a small issue consider a baby sleeping in the car who will get a face full of bright light causing them to wake up. I don’t know why Subaru would remove the option to keep the lights off (available in every other car in the world including other Subaru models) unless of course it’s there and I just need to find it.
No way we've found, but I have been looking at the electronics, and there may be a way of adding a bypass switch.

Regardless, I'd email Subaru and let them know your preference on this. It's possibly fixed with a software update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my Forester I changed the lights over the car seats to be a red led. Gives enough light to see what your doing but never woke up either of my girls.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Is the door interlock switch set to "OFF"? The switch is near the map lights up front. The issue I have is that when the switch is set to "OFF", the map lights stay off, but the reading lights still come on. According to page 290 of the Owner's manual, it states that the reading lights come on automatically when the door interlock switch is set to "DOOR" and a door is opened. It doesn't say anything about if the switch was set to "OFF", but the verbiage for both the map lights and reading lights are the same. It is assumed that if the switch was set to off, the map and reading lights won't come on automatically.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
I found this YouTube Video for a Toyota Truck fix. I’m sure it will work on the Ascent. Also in the video the guy just pushes the wire connector back in the door. If you put a long tape tail on the connector you will be able to retrieve the connector and reconnect the switch in case you want to return it to normal some day
How To Disable Toyota Door Chime - Easy 2 Minute Fix - Key In Ignition Buzzer Disabled

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
That also causes issues with the alarm that no longer knows the door is opened.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
so the rear door open alarm will not show, correct?
That's the theory, but I am not willing to pull mine out to test it. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Good point that could be a safety issue with kids. We most likely will only disconnect ours while camping. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are some nice posts for how to add an interior light disable switch to the '19 ascent that will address this issue. Check out here and here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts