Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caveat: kids ...

On my 2015 Outback my kid left an interior light turned on and it killed the battery - multiple times. I traded up to a 2018 OB and I *think* the newer version has an 'auto turn off interior lights' feature? I even vaguely recall a setting for it ...

I just had the OB system reset (while replacing the radio) and now neither the OB nor the Ascent seem to do this. I'm losin' my mind a little here ...

Anyone figure out how to convince an Ascent to auto turn off interior lights? Also, any chance it works the same way on a 2018 OB?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts

On my 2015 Outback my kid left an interior light turned on and it killed the battery - multiple times. I traded up to a 2018 OB and I *think* the newer version has an 'auto turn off interior lights' feature? I even vaguely recall a setting for it ...

I just had the OB system reset (while replacing the radio) and now neither the OB nor the Ascent seem to do this. I'm losin' my mind a little here ...

Anyone figure out how to convince an Ascent to auto turn off interior lights? Also, any chance it works the same way on a 2018 OB?
In the Infotainment System settings, there's timeout settings.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Does that setting apply to if the map light is turned on manually either intentionally or by say your son's head getting in and out of his car seat? This has happened 3 times already and im just glad i noticed the light was on before I left the car sit for an overnight period. I did convert to LEDs so hopeful it would take a long time to drain the battery if left on...

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Does that setting apply to if the map light is turned on manually either intentionally or by say your son's head getting in and out of his car seat? This has happened 3 times already and im just glad i noticed the light was on before I left the car sit for an overnight period. I did convert to LEDs so hopeful it would take a long time to drain the battery if left on...
LMAO!!! Guess what just happened? Apparently, I left one of mine on all day, and a coworker saw and called me just moments ago.

So... no, the timeout doesn't apply - at least, not within 2 hours of leaving it on. :sad:

·
Registered
492 Posts
LMAO!!! Guess what just happened? Apparently, I left one of mine on all day, and a coworker saw and called me just moments ago.

So... no, the timeout doesn't apply - at least, not within 2 hours of leaving it on.
I wonder if it really matters all that much if you switch out the lights to LEDs? Since they don't draw too much power, maybe you could leave them on (by accident) for weeks before it will affect the battery?

By then I would think you'd realize they are being left on anyway and turn them back off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the consensus is: I lock my ~$45k vehicle that can literally 'see' but it isn't smart enuf to turn off everything drawing power - really?

·
Registered
492 Posts
So the consensus is: I lock my ~$45k vehicle that can literally 'see' but it isn't smart enuf to turn off everything drawing power - really?
Well, I'm glad it doesn't do that! I installed an occupancy sensor light switch in our garage so we wouldn't keep forgetting to turn the lights off in there. But I also work on our cars in there, and guess what happens if it doesn't see me inside or under the car working on something? The lights go off!

I'll tell you what, that gets annoying fast, working on something with both hands and on your back and *POOF* total darkness, LOL. So, I'm glad the car doesn't just say, "meh, I'm off... but there's still current being drawn, hmmm, let me just turn that stuff off." haha.

What they could do, which might happen years down the road, is tie in another sensor or software code into the occupancy sensor in the seats. And IF there is current being drawn or lights still on, and it doesn't detect butts in the seats, THEN it will go ahead and turn those lights off. That would be a cool! :nerd:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd like to figure out what DOES draw power. I went camping and have a tent attachment that requires the hatch to stay open. All lights manually turned off that I can find. Two days later - dead battery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm glad it doesn't do that! I installed an occupancy sensor light switch in our garage so we wouldn't keep forgetting to turn the lights off in there. But I also work on our cars in there, and guess what happens if it doesn't see me inside or under the car working on something? The lights go off!

I'll tell you what, that gets annoying fast, working on something with both hands and on your back and *POOF* total darkness, LOL. So, I'm glad the car doesn't just say, "meh, I'm off... but there's still current being drawn, hmmm, let me just turn that stuff off." haha.

What they could do, which might happen years down the road, is tie in another sensor or software code into the occupancy sensor in the seats. And IF there is current being drawn or lights still on, and it doesn't detect butts in the seats, THEN it will go ahead and turn those lights off. That would be a cool!
If you have a motion sensor and don't have an override or don't turn on the override - that's not the motion sensor's fault. Also, your example is for a device(house) with perpetual power(elec grid).

Once I lock the vehicle, what kind of pants-on-head logic continues to draw power?!?!

·
Registered
142 Posts

Just a thought- What if you wanted to sit in the car and read a book using a map light? Wouldn't it be annoying if the map light turned itself off after 10 minutes or an hour or 3 hours if you wanted to read that long? I've never had a car turn off an interior light that was intentionally turned on by an occupant. The radio yes, lights no.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are plenty of OEMs that have lights turn off after 20-30 minutes, or an hour, or never. It comes down to what they think their customers want and the complexity to give it to them.

Leaving the hatch open probably left a BCM awake which kept the entire bus awake. I would hope they would do a timeout for that, but not surprised they didn't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are plenty of OEMs that have lights turn off after 20-30 minutes, or an hour, or never. It comes down to what they think their customers want and the complexity to give it to them.

Leaving the hatch open probably left a BCM awake which kept the entire bus awake. I would hope they would do a timeout for that, but not surprised they didn't.
This

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another question: Is there any way to turn all the dome lights on without opening a door? Say If it was dark and you needed to see in the back?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another question: Is there any way to turn all the dome lights on without opening a door? Say If it was dark and you needed to see in the back?
This is a good question. The manual lists 'instrument' and 'ambient' light as affected by the dimmer switch - so apparently there is no way to turn a single switch to "on" and have all the dome lights illuminate? I get the logic that each pax gets to decide her/his light being on or off so apparently this was a design decision.

But if you're trying to solve for "... dark and you needed to see in the back ..." just push an individual light to activate it, no?

Again, I'm assuming it was a design decision to give each pax control over her/his light; which is why I'm even more surprised there's no 'auto off' feature.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had the car for just over two weeks, and this has happened to me twice. The dogs bump the rear dome lights with their heads and turn them on. When I leave the car, all of the lights are on, so I don't notice that a dome light was turned on manually (or dogually) and won't turn off after the timeout period. I wish there were a switch to turn them off.

I'll have to look into swapping them out for LEDs. Do those really draw that much less power?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The light bulbs I bought were 0.7W instead of 7W - 10W, so yes they use about 10 times less power!

·
Registered
1 Posts

So... no, the timeout doesn't apply - at least, not within 2 hours of leaving it on. :sad:
My 2020 Subaru Ascent has a feature where interior lights turn off after 40 minutes to prevent draining the battery and the turnoff is automatic. I am having a difficult time finding the way to turn off the interior cargo lights and so this little feature is saving my life until I find out exactly how to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts