Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Forealz posted is what I purchased. Took me about 5 mins to install. The actually light is not as snug as oem light so I just used my wifes black hair tie to create a little gasket that would help keep it in place but even without the gasket i tried open the door hard several times and the light did not come out. If anybody gets these and the logo is crooked or backwards, just use a small tweezers to turn the black cylinder inside to adjust

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great. I don't want these. I NEED THESE. Gonna have to sneak a couple when the wife isn't around ! lol

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
I put those on my old Outback once. My wife made fun of me pretty hard because they shout "SUBARU" at you. I wish they made a more subtle version that only projects the emblem, or just the 6 stars would be ideal IMHO.
I'm sure you could find a way to block it so that only the logo is projected. Lol.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm sure you could find a way to block it so that only the logo is projected. Lol.
I just realized that after I had typed it. Now I have to dig those things out of a box in the garage somewhere... It's time for a little arts & crafts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just realized that my doors have the door step / “puddle” (wired) lights too! But man they are pretty dim...

While I dig the idea of the logo projectors, I think I will likely instead replace the stock bulbs with white LEDs to see if I can get a more useful light output. I believe they are 2825 W5W Bulbs. Ordering a set and will post up before and after pics later once they get here and are installed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just realized that my doors have the door step / “puddle” (wired) lights too! But man they are pretty dim...

While I dig the idea of the logo projectors, I think I will likely instead replace the stock bulbs with white LEDs to see if I can get a more useful light output. I believe they are 2825 W5W Bulbs. Ordering a set and will post up before and after pics later once they get here and are installed.
I may do that as well. I replaced the door lamps with 5000K (real white) leds on my old Outback and they lit up the ground way better than the stock bulbs. I like warm white in the interior, so I will source out warm white LEDs for the inside, while everything on the outside will be pure white. The thing is most "white" LEDs are too bluish. Vendors like Diode Dymanics and VLEDS (my favorite - a step above DD) offer various shades of white which is nice. You roll the dice when you get Amazon/eBay LEDs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I may do that as well. I replaced the door lamps with 5000K (real white) leds on my old Outback and they lit up the ground way better than the stock bulbs. I like warm white in the interior, so I will source out warm white LEDs for the inside, while everything on the outside will be pure white. The thing is most "white" LEDs are too bluish. Vendors like Diode Dymanics and VLEDS (my favorite - a step above DD) offer various shades of white which is nice. You roll the dice when you get Amazon/eBay LEDs.
Cheapest 194 VLED I found was $6 a piece. That seems like a **** of a markup?
I think the Ascent has 13 of those and 2 921's @ $25 a pop. $128 and Amazon has the Auxito 921 Reverse lights and SiriusLED 3030chipset 194s for a total of $37, plus you'll have 7 194s left over. VLED can't be $91 better????

For mid-level VLED LEDs i'm looking a $232!!!
13pcs- WHITE LONG LIFE 360° 14 LED 194
2pcs- 5500K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 36 LED 921

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
VLED can't be $91 better????
That's completely up to you. The best LEDs I have ever seen are Triton V3 from VLEDs (7440 size). I had three sets in my Outback and they were well made and extremely bright. They also cost $300. I often do cheap/fast experiments for no good reason other than to educate myself on what's out there. so I've tried lots of LEDs over the years from various sources. I've used eBay/Amazon with mixed results. But you know exactly what you're getting with VLEDs (and probably Diode Dynamics - I haven't tried them).

That being said, I did buy a 20 pack of "white" 194 LEDS from Amazon to try in my Ascent. They were $7.99 or so. I installed them and I removed them after less than 24 hours in my car. They color they put out was kind of sickly looking, so I've decided to either stick to stock bulbs or get warm white interior LEDs. I also have the YITAMOTOR 921 LED from Amazon that I have yet to install. I expect them to have a blue tint, but that might be OK for back up lighting. I've actually had decent results with warm white LEDs on eBay/Amazon. One thing that I have yet to verify is if the cheaper LEDs flicker more than the more expensive ones (possible quality control issue). Some of the LEDs I just tried in my dome lights would flicker very subtly.

The most difficult quality LED lighting to get for cheap is the "pure white" (5000K) temperature. VLEDs and DD offer those colors and also offer higher power options than most outlets. The cheaper stuff is usually in the 6000K range and they're too blue to me, even though I keep trying, expecting different results. There's still a lot to be desired when you want a quality white LED for little money. Don't even look at Autozone, etc. Those stores are light years behind with the LEDs they sell (for $$$).

I'd say paying an extra $91 for quality bulbs with accurate color that will last the life of the car isn't unreasonable. There are also sales around every holiday - there's 15% off for Labor day right now at VLEDs. But it might be worth it to see if the cheaper stuff satisfies you first, if you want to gamble $20 or so.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im waiting for SuperbrightLED's to get their stuff updated;they have a good catalogue

·
Registered
303 Posts
I went with these LEDs for the doors lights - sold in pairs, bought 2 sets (total of 4 LED “bulbs”) for about $14 off of Amazon. I liked these because the LEDs are only mounted on one side of the PCB (no point in shining light up into the interior of the door...). Just remember to orient the LEDs so that the chips point down towards the clear plastic “lens”.
Plug and play - 5 minutes max.

I kinda like the results so far (stock on the drivers side, white LED on he passenger’s side).

Cheers!
-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with these LEDs for the doors lights - sold in pairs, bought 2 sets (total of 4 LED “bulbs”) for about $14 off of Amazon. I liked these because the LEDs are only mounted on one side of the PCB (no point in shining light up into the interior of the door...). Just remember to orient the LEDs so that the chips point down towards the clear plastic “lens”.
Plug and play - 5 minutes max.

I kinda like the results so far (stock on the drivers side, white LED on he passenger’s side).

Cheers!
-Chris
Could you share the link for those?

·
Registered
303 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I went with VLEDs labor day sale and ordered LEDs for the door "puddle" lights, reverse, and licence plate. I chose 5000K for the color temperatures. I'll likely return the 921 backup light LEDs I got from Amazon since I haven't opened them. Before I get warm white LEDs for all of the interior lights, I'm going to see if my $3.22 gamble from China pays off before I decide. I would've ordered a bunch of warm whie LEDs from Diode Dynamics, but they're not having a labor day sale as far as I can tell. I can wait a bit.

Why did I go with VLEDs for these particular lights? VLEDs does 5000K LED (no blue tint!) very well. They usually have the some of the most advanced designs on the internet and other online stores seem to sell white label bulk Chinese stuff. They're hit or miss, but if you hit you save significant cash. Even though VLEDs is generally more expensive than DD, their brightest 921 back-up bulbs are $10 cheaper a pair than the similar units from DD. I do eventually want to purchase something from DD as they too seem to have a higher standard than other vendors. I'm just waiting for a good opportunity...

Back up (x2): HIGH OUTPUT WHITE 6 LED 921 - 921 - Shop Bulb Number
"puddle lamps" (x4): WHITE LONG LIFE 360° 14 LED 194 - 194 - Shop Bulb Number
license plate (x2): WHITE LONG LIFE LOW PROFILE 1 LED 194 - 194 - Shop Bulb Number

I went with lower power LEDs for the license plates because they don't need to be too bright back there. Very bright license plate lighting can be a little much and light up the ground a good amount. I've tried that and thought it was goofy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.