Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may be meaningless but WTH,so I was messing with the “magic” screen and found it interesting the “steering: 0%” displayed.According to the info screen my steering wheel is properly straight. But I’m wondering if this is used for when a vehicle gets an alignment.
Turning the wheel left will display a - #%,turn it right it will display #%

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
831 Posts
I saw that and my best guess was that Eyesight needs to know the current steering angle in order to make a correction during a curve and also the steering tracking headlights may use this.

Reactions: Luis Padilla

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Eyesight uses the steering angle in calculations for sure. It was the reason my eyesight turned off when I was on the beach. It decided it didn’t like that I was going straight with the steering pointed -30°ish

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried posting a video of it in action but it wouldn’t load up.
Totally makes sense that it’s connected to the Eyesight cameras.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I never bothered to look at that particular data item, but are you sure it's not torque sensor data? Steering sensors monitor torque applied and position.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
I never bothered to look at that particular data item, but are you sure it's not torque sensor data? Steering sensors monitor torque applied and position.
Since its displayed in +/- degrees I'd assume its a position sensor rather than just torque applied. Could stick the front end on a lift and steer back and forth to test?

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Since its displayed in +/- degrees I'd assume its a position sensor rather than just torque applied. Could stick the front end on a lift and steer back and forth to test?
Torque is also directional. I'd presume it too would be reported as plus (let's pretend left) and minus (let's pretend right) pressure to differentiate in which direction input torque was being applied (I don't know which applies to which direction and can't look at the moment).

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Torque is also directional. I'd presume it too would be reported as plus (let's pretend left) and minus (let's pretend right) pressure to differentiate in which direction input torque was being applied (I don't know which applies to which direction and can't look at the moment).
I agree. I was mostly refering to the units used - degrees rather than force. I cant imagine torque being very easy to convert to an actual steering angle as it will change drastically based on speed and the surface you're driving on. I'm almost curious enough to jack up the front end and see but not quite!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts