Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somehow who likes to keep everything running smoothly. Is there any maintenance that is required or suggested for the intercooler? This is my first vehicle with an intercooler.

I've lightly vacuumed the top where the fins to not bend the fins. I've periodically removed larger bugs that get sucked onto the top. A few fins have bent and I've reshaped them with tweezers as best as I could manage.

At some point, I would think it may need to be removed for deep cleaning. Anyone taken out the intercooler on the Ascent yet?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,276 Posts
There's a thread on here for someone who makes an intercooler screen to save the hassle of what you're doing.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I'm somehow who likes to keep everything running smoothly. Is there any maintenance that is required or suggested for the intercooler? This is my first vehicle with an intercooler.

I've lightly vacuumed the top where the fins to not bend the fins. I've periodically removed larger bugs that get sucked onto the top. A few fins have bent and I've reshaped them with tweezers as best as I could manage.

At some point, I would think it may need to be removed for deep cleaning. Anyone taken out the intercooler on the Ascent yet?
Search Scarlett

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
$135?!? Good heavens! I just cut up a piece of metal window screen and folded the edges of it over the intercooler. It does the job and is barely visible unless you look for it. Total cost: $0.00 and about 25 minutes...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a thread on here for someone who makes an intercooler screen to save the hassle of what you're doing.
Yes, I have seen the intercooler screen for sale on this forum. I'm a customer for the lower grill guard he makes. The intercooler screen is great for larger bugs and stuff but small stuff still will get through and inbed inbetween the fins. At some point the cooling efficency will get affected.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
We need someone to delete their intercooler and do a before and after dyno. We can compare the hp with and without the intercooler and then create a formula based on the percentage of the heat transfer surface that’s covered to calculate when deep cleaning is necessary.
But no, there’s no service necessary on the intercooler. When you do clean it be gentle, which it sounds like you already are. I bent some of my fins with a pressure washer; it’ll never be the same...

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
I heat soaked the Ascent, and couldn't climb a hill that should have been easy for the beastie. Granted, I wedged a wheel in a rut, but I've powered out of worse. I got winched a few feet (not even a car length) out of the rut, and then struggled to flat ground, where I sat for almost half an hour waiting for others to make their way up. The car cooled considerably by then. The next climb was steeper, slipperier, and rockier. The Ascent breezed up it like it was nothing.

Granted, this was on a steep off-road trail in an off-roading park, and at the extremes of what the Subies can do (we picked the most extreme trails that were suitable for Subaru's "lifted" line's ground clearance (eg: Crosstrek, Forester, Ascent, Outback).

·
Registered
691 Posts
We need someone to delete their intercooler and do a before and after dyno. We can compare the hp with and without the intercooler and then create a formula based on the percentage of the heat transfer surface that’s covered to calculate when deep cleaning is necessary.
But no, there’s no service necessary on the intercooler. When you do clean it be gentle, which it sounds like you already are. I bent some of my fins with a pressure washer; it’ll never be the same...
I think base models 'maybe' don't have intercooler .. if you can find one

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will help you unbolt yours. Plus I will pay half the dyno. So your our huckleberry......upward and onward..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts