Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an Ascent forum but I find there are a lot of helpful members on these these sites.

My son is 16 and getting his license in 1 week. I just got a ballpark quote from my Liberty Mutual Insurance agent for $3500 a year to add him to our policy. Yes, that is $3500 to add him. I have to wait until he has his actual license to get a detailed quote. He is a straight A student, has taken the Alive at 25 and driver's ed courses. My wife and I have good driving records. We have 4 vehicles (2005 Pilot - soon to be 2019 Ascent, 2016 Outback, 2006 Jeep Wrangler, 2002 Ford Ranger)

This is crazy. Have any of you with young drivers had better pricing from other insurance companies? We live in Colorado. I plan to shop around and am looking for suggestions. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts
I know this is an Ascent forum but I find there are a lot of helpful members on these these sites.

My son is 16 and getting his license in 1 week. I just got a ballpark quote from my Liberty Mutual Insurance agent for $3500 a year to add him to our policy. Yes, that is $3500 to add him. I have to wait until he has his actual license to get a detailed quote. He is a straight A student, has taken the Alive at 25 and driver's ed courses. My wife and I have good driving records. We have 4 vehicles (2005 Pilot - soon to be 2019 Ascent, 2016 Outback, 2006 Jeep Wrangler, 2002 Ford Ranger)

This is crazy. Have any of you with young drivers had better pricing from other insurance companies? We live in Colorado. I plan to shop around and am looking for suggestions. Thanks for your help.
Some of the STI and WRX drivers in our local car group (ranging from 18ish to older than me) are getting great rates from Ameriprise Insurance. I do not know if they serve your area, but some of the full coverage prices for people less than half my advanced age was as cheap as what I am paying (and I have had zero claims and zero accidents on my record ever... "ever" being 34 years of driving 21 cars, one van and a motorcyle over 3 million combined miles).

If they serve your area, I'd give them a try.

Ironically: Ameriprise wants TWICE the amount State Farm currently charges me. YMMV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their reviews are pretty rough. I guess you will find that about any/most insurance companies. I am going to contact State Farm as I have a client that works there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try Amica Mutual... that's who I'm using right now and they are great. It's also good to switch insurance companies every so often as they know people get complacent and they never lower your premium as they should be doing as your car gets older.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used to have Liberty Mutual years ago but then also switched after we bought our house to AAA. Am now able to bundle auto, home, umbrella, and earthquake insurance all together with some expected discounts. I was already a AAA member previously as well. In particular, I think we saved a decent amount by switching. Not sure what their rates would be like for you where u live though.

“New” drivers are tough cause even though it sounds like you and your family are safe drivers and low risk, statistically, that age group is always more costly due to relative inexperience. But you already knew all that...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Try Amica Mutual... that's who I'm using right now and they are great. It's also good to switch insurance companies every so often as they know people get complacent and they never lower your premium as they should be doing as your car gets older.
Amica also got the top rating in Consumer Reports. I have State Farm now, their rates seem high to me so I’ll be looking to switch as well.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Our family has recently gone through this whole ordeal. We had Safeco, which has since merged with Liberty Mutual. Our rates for 6 cars (4 kids) was around $10,000/yr. We were with Safeco for over 10 years, so we were subject to the annual rate creep up which insurance companies use.

Off to insurance shopping; we found a carrier that was half the price in Denver, Travelers Insurance. However, they do not really cater to young drivers. Our rates are now $5,000/year for 5 cars. Quite a savings. Our cars are 2017, 2016, 2013, 2012, 2004 models.

Now down to the nuts and bolts. My youngest son recently got married and moved out - he got the best rates from Geico and then he switched to Esurance. Insurance rates in Colorado are extremely high due to hail and uninsured motorists. Our policy just renewed and our agent said it would be going up from anywhere between 12-25%, and it did.

I would purchase insurance through an insurance broker who can shop 30 different companies for you right on the spot. We heard about one on the Tom Martino show - Compass Insurance. They save people thousands!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use GEICO and my grandson is on our policy and even after one accident, it only added about $700 to our annual costs. The adjuster that helped fix the car after his accident was great to deal with also.

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 10 of 10 Posts