Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So... some of the insurance carriers now have the Ascent in their database. Travelers, for instance. Geico didn't, but let me fill in the info. Travelers was 30% less than Geico, but, Geico seems to price me pretty high. State Farm did not yet have the info to rate and quote as of Tuesday.

So, it's looking like it's nearing time when we can get some insurance quoting done to know what the other part of our financial impact may be.

HAS ASCENT:
  • Travelers
  • Esurance
  • Progressive (but does not have the trim level breakdown)
  • Liberty Mutual

WILL QUOTE BUT DOESN'T HAVE:
  • Geico

DOESN'T HAVE, WON'T QUOTE
  • State Farm (expected to have soon)

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Call a broker before buying

OOOOH, I just noticed that some of them have no idea how many airbags and what safety systems are in the car. I suggest calling an agent or broker before buying insurance, and making sure that every airbag, collision avoidance system, blind spot monitoring, etc, is tracked and included in the discount matrix for their tiering for quote.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So... some of the insurance carriers now have the Ascent in their database. Travelers, for instance. Geico didn't, but let me fill in the info. Travelers was 30% less than Geico, but, Geico seems to price me pretty high. State Farm did not yet have the info to rate and quote as of Tuesday.

So, it's looking like it's nearing time when we can get some insurance quoting done to know what the other part of our financial impact may be.

HAS ASCENT:
  • Travelers
  • Esurance
  • Progressive (but does not have the trim level breakdown)
  • Liberty Mutual
WILL QUOTE BUT DOESN'T HAVE:
  • Geico
DOESN'T HAVE, WON'T QUOTE
  • State Farm (expected to have soon)
Every year I get new competitive rates for auto and home. For many years Shelter has beat everyone else in the Denver market. Still true for 2019. So far no problem with any home or auto claims I have filed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,464 Posts
Old thread.

That said, I would never "carrier hop" with any frequency because I bundle auto, homeowners and umbrella for discounts...and my real estate taxes and insurance are escrowed by my mortgage holder. That means to change carriers I have to pony up money to pay a new homeowner policy upfront that first year while waiting for any rebate of unearned premium from the previous carrier, if there is any. But I do monitor things and will make a change if there is a good reason to do so. That last happened when my younger daughter turned 16 and our carrier at that time significantly raised our auto rates ... they went from being the lowest to being one of the highest. It was several thousand dollars better to change, even with the pain of writing out a check for the homeowners. (which is paid annually) Our current carrier (CSAA via AAA) has remained very competitive. I spot check every couple of years because that's the prudent thing to do, but my current carrier would have to have a major rate increase to make me blink and do things all over again.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Old thread.

That said, I would never "carrier hop" with any frequency because I bundle auto, homeowners and umbrella for discounts...and my real estate taxes and insurance are escrowed by my mortgage holder. That means to change carriers I have to pony up money to pay a new homeowner policy upfront that first year while waiting for any rebate of unearned premium from the previous carrier, if there is any. But I do monitor things and will make a change if there is a good reason to do so. That last happened when my younger daughter turned 16 and our carrier at that time significantly raised our auto rates ... they went from being the lowest to being one of the highest. It was several thousand dollars better to change, even with the pain of writing out a check for the homeowners. (which is paid annually) Our current carrier (CSAA via AAA) has remained very competitive. I spot check every couple of years because that's the prudent thing to do, but my current carrier would have to have a major rate increase to make me blink and do things all over again.
All of my asset insurance is bundled the same reason yours is. When I shopped around, I requested quotes for the discounted bundled price for same coverage. It has turned out that not only that my carrier continued to be less expensive but I was able to have more robust auto coverage. The other quotes seemed to get competitive only if I accepted one of those driving monitoring devices - no thanks. I also had a lower premium with a lower deductible.

I mention the monitoring only because most folks understandably like to keep life simple and once a decision is made leave it alone. Most rates increase from all carriers as we become more risk adverse and of course advertising is very powerful. In addition many policy holders do not compare apples with apples. I am working with my 17 year old son over time to teach him how to evaluate these policies. Now that open enrollment for our health policy is in play, it is another opportunity for a lesson. We have an excellent health insurance plan through my wife's employment that we have had for decades so we are very familiar with it and can readily explain all of it to him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts