Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. The install was easy and I love the final look. Many thanks to this post for ideas!

You can see the before, during, and after pictures in this album.

I've also attached one picture to the post just for the impatient.

It was a very straight-forward installation, but I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have!

·
Administrator
8,802 Posts
Wow, nice choice of location! Nicely done!

·
Administrator
8,802 Posts
I would LOVE pics of what's behind the panels, if you have those as well. And, I wouldn't mind pinning this as a reference for everyone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great questions! I will get some more pictures perhaps next week and update the album and post. That would be a good opportunity to replace the included Ethernet cable with a longer one.

Removal of the center console panel is easy:

1. Start with the cubby under the stereo head unit. Gently lift the front of the rubber mat just a little, and you will notice there is a plastic lip there under the rubber mat.
2. Use a thin trim removal pry tool to release/pop the cubby tray upward.
3. Now you can use your hands to grab the front of the center console plastic panel, and pull upward gently to release/pop up.
4. Now use your pry tool at the other end of the panel, at the rear of the car, under the rear-most straight edge of the chrome accent, rearward of the curve that is to the right of the parking brake lever.
5. Once you release/pop up this part of the panel, the rest will pop out easily by just using your hands along the edges working your way forward from the rear, toward the cubby tray.
6. Unplug the wiring harness for the parking brake lever by depressing the tab and then pulling the harness downward; it's a little tight.
7. Now you can pull the whole panel out easily by just moving it forward into the cubby tray area a little until the gear selection handle fits through the opening while lifting the panel away. You can remove this while the gear selection handle is still in the Park position, no problem.

As you'll read in my photo album, and I'll add pictures of this later, the location where I installed the knob is the only place on the entire panel where it will work. There are no other places where both the underside connectors, and the obstructions from below, will allow the length of the button controller to fit. You don't even get a 1/2" of variance in either direction from where I installed it. So be sure to double check and triple check its placement before you start drilling the holes!!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Cool, I went looking on Amazon for reviews, I saw this image.. Not mine, One of the reviewers. This is where I would put if I were to install one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wouldn't work for me because my top row is full with the stock controls. Some people have just removed the tailgate memory control and ordered a new blank to use in that position, but I didn't want to do that.

The console location is much easier to reach to adjust, and especially for an emergency when you need to press the button to correct sway.

The bottom row of buttons are smaller and angled, so it won't fit there, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts