Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not bad its small enough I doubt it will impact cooling much. Look up the GMC Bison project.
The GM design discussion around front end bumper and lightning is interesting.

I don’t think people realize how some of these added things can have big impacts on cooling. Yours looks pretty good but if your pushing it hard in hot temps maybe just be aware that the bar could be impacting cooling some.

Looks super clean though!! Probably one of the best I’ve seen so far. Just don’t run it on public roads. I watched two CHP pull a truck over last week running his light bar on a major highway. I can only imagine the discussion was not very pleasant.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not bad its small enough I doubt it will impact cooling much. Look up the GMC Bison project.

I don’t think people realize how some of these added things can have big impacts on cooling. Yours looks pretty good but if your pushing it hard in hot temps maybe just be aware that the bar could be impacting cooling some.

Looks super clean though!! Probably one of the best I’ve seen so far. Just don’t run it on public roads. I watched two CHP pull a truck over last week running his light bar on a major highway. I can only imagine the discussion was not very pleasant.

If they’re running a LED bar or a HID kit without proper aligned optics/reflectors on the road they deserved it.

I saw that episode, then I saw the attached vehicle on social media. It’s supercharged too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

The grill has about 10 openings and you covered 1-2 openings. That's potentially 10-20% of the opening has been covered. So yes, it's significant enough to be questioned. If we want to be scientific, follow my suggestion below to quantify it.

To measure it, you can compare the oil temp data (seen on small dash screen) of before and after the install. If there's an increased in oil temp (because the cooling system can't keep up), like 5degF, I think it's confirmed to be questionable. However you can't do this test until the summer when the engine temp is critical in hot weather.

What's the video discussed about?

·
Registered
542 Posts
My fluid temps has had no impact based on scan gauge/obd numbers before and after. But outside of a lab environment where I can control temp, air flow it would be impossible to tell. Im very certain this install, and mine won't have any measurable or significant impact on cooling performance and will be within temp range. I'd imagine a black hood would transmit more radiant heat onto the intercooler and cabin than a white Ascent. But I'm sure its within the temp range. I'll update in the Summer.

I'd assume Subaru designed/tested the cooling system in worse case scenario (fully loaded, towing, uphill in the summer in Arizona with AC going).

That video discussed one of the best aftermarket companies working with an OEM and all the OEM requirements and testing that goes into everything and every scenario. Really informative video. That Bison will probably see low speed off roading/rock crawling so they decided not to put a LED bar in the lower grill.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The grill has about 10 openings and you covered 1-2 openings. That's potentially 10-20% of the opening has been covered. So yes, it's significant enough to be questioned. If we want to be scientific, follow my suggestion below to quantify it.

To measure it, you can compare the oil temp data (seen on small dash screen) of before and after the install. If there's an increased in oil temp (because the cooling system can't keep up), like 5degF, I think it's confirmed to be questionable. However you can't do this test until the summer when the engine temp is critical in hot weather.

What's the video discussed about?
So AEV is a high end after market custom truck builder they have built some really impressive stuff. What I found interesting in the Bison development discussion video is how humbled the AEV owner was after teaming up with GM engineers to develop a parts kit for a Special GM offering called the Bison.

One thing he talks about is how much he learned about air flow and the impact bumper design and placement of winches and lights have on critical air flow for cooling. He even eluded that all his future bumper designs will for sure have more thinking/design around this aspect even if he doesn’t have access to a million dollar wind tunnel test facility.

To see a guy like that who is highly respected in the vehicle modification biz that humbled over super small details that apparently have big impacts on performance of it becomes pretty obvious just how much design and work goes into the shapes of these modern grills and bumpers. So any thing we add/bolt on that potentially alters air flow on the front end could have sizable impact on cooling performance.

I don’t think many of us realize how even a light bar could impact cooling where it might even pose a problem if your in conditions that are pushing limits.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My fluid temps has had no impact based on scan gauge/obd numbers before and after. But outside of a lab environment where I can control temp, air flow it would be impossible to tell. Im very certain this install, and mine won't have any measurable or significant impact on cooling performance and will be within temp range. I'd imagine a black hood would transmit more radiant heat onto the intercooler and cabin than a white Ascent. But I'm sure its within the temp range. I'll update in the Summer.

if you can update your experience, that's scientific enough to answer the concerns.

In Houston, my Limited have been running approximately 200-205degF oil temp, probably operating between 2000-4000rpm w/o any load. So the coolant is probably in the range of 190-200degF.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That tiny strip of lights seems too small to affect the airflow into the radiator.

Guys on the Ford Superduty forum have all sorts of lights on their trucks. And they tow really heavy. No one has ever reported an overheating issue. And these are folks who watch their temp gauges carefully when pulling a 20k lb trailer up an 8% grade up at 9000 feet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like the images have been deleted. Mind re-sharing? Also, how did you mount it? Directly to the plastic? Special mounting brackets? Wanting to do the same but can’t find anything online for mounting recommendations.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
This was an old post and pics are gone, so I am wondering if the light bar was mounted in the upper or the lower grill? The Ascent's lower grill looks perfect for it, and just wondering if anyone can comment who saw the original post?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts