Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of your might have read, when I tried to change the overhead map light and install a LED bulb, I accidentally intruded the light socket into the ceiling panel. The dealer wanted $45 to fix this. I decided to do this myself. Basically the panel is held in with two 5/16" bolts. After you loosen the bolts, any sort of plastic trim removal tool can be used to pop the panel out from the brackets. Note that this cover also has cutouts in the front for the Eyesight cameras so do be careful. I managed to blow a fuse while replacing one of the puddle lamp bulbs in the door. I will detail this below as well.

After I removed the panel, I found the missing socket just loose up there. It's held in with a twist lock flange. So my mistake was to use a twisting motion instead of a purely pulling potion when attempting to remove the bulb. The socket was easily reinserted by putting it back in place and rotating it so the twist lock is engaged.

Here you can see the missing bulb socket on the left. The right bulb had been successfully changed already.

Here you can see the two 5/16" bolts that hold the trim panel to the ceiling:

This is what it looks like after I pulled the trim panel off:

You can see the empty socket where the bulb holder came off:

Here's the new LED bulb inserted into the bulb holder. Look closely and you can see the flange that engages and locks the bulb holder in place when you twist it:

Here it is after I inserted the bulb and bulb holder back in place and twisted it to lock it:

So after I put all this back together, I proceeded to replace the rest of the halogen bulbs with LED units. It went pretty easy EXCEPT when I was all done my interior lights and my remote key fob did not work! Now what???

Well it turns out that because I had used a needle nose plier to remove the puddle lamp halogen bulb in the door, I had inadvertently shorted the contact with the metal part of the needle nose plier. I googled the problem and found out that there's a fuse by the driver's left knee inside the vehicle. It's a 10 amp fuse.

Here's the interior fuse panel opened up with a red box around the fuse that was blown:

I thought I was in for a trip to the Subie dealer but it turns out Subaru was kind enough to give us some extra fuses and a fuse puller. These items are located on the underside of the main fuse box on the driver's side engine compartment just rear of the battery.

Here's the underside of the cover with the spare fuses:

When I replaced the 10 amp fuse, all the interior lights as well as my remote buttons, started to work again. Success!!!

So there you have it. Lesson learned. Be careful when using metal tools around the bulbs. Don't twist the bulbs when you're removing them. Just use a pure pulling motion.

Hopefully this helps someone and prevents them from making my bonehead mistakes!

·
Administrator
11,128 Posts
Amazing write-up!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming this didn't affect the Eye-Sight at all? Jigging around so close to the sensors is a little... unnerving.
No the cover is just that - a cover. The key is to make sure when you put the cover back, that you push up against the headliner to make sure the retention tabs are engaged. I check the cover and fit by standing at the front of the vehicle and then looking head on at the Eyesight lenses and I could tell the cover cutout was not centered because the retention tabs were not engaged. I taped on the cover from below each lens and the cover popped back into place with the Eyesight lenses now centered. If you look at the pic I posted with the cover off, the Eyesight cameras are housed in a metal frame. I doubt you're going to affect the system by removing and reinserting the cover. Besides, if there was an issue you'd know it by the way Eyesight acts or more likely, the system would tell you there's an error.

You can see in this pic that the Eyesight system and lenses are housed in metal. This pic is with the plastic cover off:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks so much for this post. Liberty subaru fixed the light issue under warranty, and Staten Island Subaru pointed out that something is rolling around in there, but would not fix it. we were afraid the bolts held the cameras in place, but you very clearly pointed out that is not the case so now we will fix the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks to the led: Today I took off the cover to locate the moving piece that staten Island Subaru said was in the cover and making noise. Turns out liberty Subaru did not leave something in there when fixing a non working socket- but they did break a wire plug clip. The problem was if the little piece that engages and disengages to go from eyeglass holder to conversation mirror somehow does not get engaged, then it swings around and makes noise that sounds like something is rolling around in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts