Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one isn't just a phone reflector. It's much better than that. Guess I didn't make that clear in my first post. The HUD has a projector which displays the image up on a screen. The phone is down to the left of my steering wheel. The HUD mirror software mirrors on the projected screen what is on my phone. It's pretty darn cool!

It is even bright enough to show just fine here in the AZ sun!

I did shoot some video, but haven't had time to combine the shots and upload to youtube. When I do, I'll post the link here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ooo, fancy! Need some linkage on where us copycats might be able to get one of our own :D I especially like the idea for running Waze when I might not wanna use Android Auto, but with a doohicky like that, I could probably find all kinds of geeky and idiotic things to do with it :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the video of it in action

Link to the product page.
https://hudwaycast.com/

I do like that while running waze I can see the screen without looking over and can also change radio stations and such without losing my maps.

Reactions: Roblesfam5

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you find it distracting to look through a second piece of glass with the rim in your eyesight? That would seem to tire your eyes.

That display is great. Not having to take your eyes off the road to see the navigation screen is amazing. Thanks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it's not distracting at all. They way it is placed it just barely hovers over my hood. So when looking at the road I'm still looking forward and I glance down slightly to look at the HUD. But even looking through the 2nd piece of glass is okay as it's a high quality piece and not distorted.

Now that I've had it a while I've got the hang of setting it up when I get in the car. USB Tethering mode works best on my phone. Still need to set it as the default to see if it will totally auto-hookup when I plug it in.

I really like the speed display combined with my radar detector so I know how much I need to slow down if I get a warning. Just wish I had a way to display the speed limit next to the speed on Torque!

First install will be a lot of trial and error though to get it to show up. And occasionally I still have to fiddle to get it working.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did you look into the “jailbreak” for your Android? It allows your AndroidAuto to control and use all apps from your phone.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the HUDWAY cast and mirrorlink work together to provide that out of the box. Once I installed MirrorLink and enabled it, did the magic settings dance and started the Hudway cast app, the phone screen appears on the HUD.

Now that I've set my default USB mode to "USB Tethering" sometimes it'll just appear when I plug into the car. Other times I still have to swipe down to the USB settings and manually set USB tethering. Most of the time now that's all I need to do. Occasionally I have to fiddle more, unplug and replug and restart the cast app.

I'm so used to it now after 2 weeks that it's well worth the fuss!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
That's pretty cool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.