Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello does anyone know if the push button remote start comes with directions ? Looks like it’s just plug and use.
Thanks andrew

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
All you need to know and more...

Hello does anyone know if the push button remote start comes with directions ? Looks like it’s just plug and use.
Thanks andrew
It's a bit more than plug in and use, but it's not horribly difficult.

Anyway, there's actually two different kits, and I answer all of your questions regarding them, as well as posted links to the instructions to both.

You can find that all here:

Find the one that applies to your Ascent, and you'll find the instructions link in that section.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for info by plug I meant you don’t cut wires, but I see you need the computer to register it so that rules out self install.
But I realize the starlink is probably better.
Can you recommend a dealership you dealt with ? I’m in nyc area also.
Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wish I had both at this point as we are having technical issues with StarLink and are currently unable to remote start the car at all.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hi thanks for info by plug I meant you don’t cut wires, but I see you need the computer to register it so that rules out self install.
But I realize the starlink is probably better.
Can you recommend a dealership you dealt with ? I’m in nyc area also.
Thanks
Andrew
Mine was factory installed, but I exclusively use Liberty Subaru in Emerson NJ, Metric Subaru in Huntington NY, North Coast in Glen Cove or Competition in Smithtown.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depending on cost, I would honestly look at this, if you wanted to have it through an app on your phone (won't need a 2nd keyfob)
https://www.compustar.com/remotes/dronemobile-dr-5400/

I have some friends with a shop that does custom 12 volt audio, video, accessories...They install Compustar products. Our local Subaru dealership has not ordered in vehicles with factory starters for some time (they may be getting some with StarLink). They have Compustar units installed by my buddy in all of the cars that clients want starters in.

We have this installed in my Ford Flex and in my Wife's 2017 Outback. Great product and there are different levels of subscriptions available.
Example: If it is for your kid, you can be notified every time the car exceeds a specific set speed. You can create a "geo fence" and anytime the car leaves that area you will get a notification. With the top subscription, you can also locate the car.

Or you can spend less like us and simply have unlimited range starter, lock/unlock and have feedback returned to the app so you know if it started or not.

I don't know anything about Subaru's system, so I cannot say good or bad. I am just providing you information for a different option. I find that often aftermarket products are superior and cheaper than factor options.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Depending on cost, I would honestly look at this, if you wanted to have it through an app on your phone (won't need a 2nd keyfob)
https://www.compustar.com/remotes/dronemobile-dr-5400/
By your description this is exactly how the starlink works. You can do speed and geofence alerts along with starting and locking/unlocking

The subscription @ $6/month basically is equal in cost to the starlink if you sign up for 7 years up front. But with starlink you can set your AC and seat heaters/defrost as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the remote FOB kit has some online instructions as listed above. It can be installed yourself and acts as if it is not installed until you make it to the dealership to get the FOBs registered AKA works as a pass through so you are not left with a disabled vehicle until you get it programmed. The dealership I contacted will do the registration portion for $59 or theoretically a half hour labor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got cold feet and now am thinking maybe I could do without remote start since I can use Starlink. Does anyone one know if the part is interchangeable? i.e. can I sell it and have it programmed to the buyer's car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got cold feet and now am thinking maybe I could do without remote start since I can use Starlink. Does anyone one know if the part is interchangeable? i.e. can I sell it and have it programmed to the buyer's car?
Do you mean you bought the OE Ascent kit and never installed but are thinking of selling it now? Yes that can be done and the purchaser can still install and get it programmed with no issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts