Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to install the auto dimming side mirrors? Ordered at the dealership, out of stock. When it arrives, hoping to install it myself with not having to schedule, wait for appointments..

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I went through the install this weekend and took some photos for ya'll. It was pretty straight forward, using the above pdf. Side note, I thought it was odd that the passenger mirror was missing the spring clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
So I went through the install this weekend and took some photos for ya'll. It was pretty straight forward, using the above pdf. Side note, I thought it was odd that the passenger mirror was missing the spring clip.

Nice! Been reading from Outback owners (i assumed the install process was pretty much the same) that it was an easy install too. Many also mentioned that the most confusing part was trying to figure out how/where to use the screwdriver. They were able to just pull it out without using it.

How was the actual mirror removal for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty easy. I think the screwdriver was used more to move the mirror completely up, than to actually remove it. I ended up using my fingers to pop the mirrors off. In the 3rd pic, you can see the plastic fingers and how it attaches to the white piece inside the side mirror assembly. It was more annoying to reattach them, as you had to line up everything and try not to pinch the orange/blue wires.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Pretty easy. I think the screwdriver was used more to move the mirror completely up, than to actually remove it. I ended up using my fingers to pop the mirrors off. In the 3rd pic, you can see the plastic fingers and how it attaches to the white piece inside the side mirror assembly. It was more annoying to reattach them, as you had to line up everything and try not to pinch the orange/blue wires.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
how do you like the new mirror w/ approach lighting?
These things are great! In previous cars with only an auto-dimming rear view mirror, it was always annoying to have a glare-free rear view while simultaneously getting blinded by the side views reflecting a [insert pickup truck]'s blue headlights. Now that's all mitigated.

The approach lighting is a nice feature, but when I'm approaching my car in the dark, I usually use the fob before my proximity turns the lights on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you like the new mirror w/ approach lighting?
Autodimming is pretty nice. Now I'm not blinded by the side mirrors. Although I'm still not sure how I feel about the border around it (or the rearview, for that matter). But it works well enough.

As for the approach light, meh. I think in the stock photos it shows a nice light casting on the ground? For me, it casts the light across the body of the car and doesn't really seem to do much. I know it's due to how I have the side mirrors positioned. If I remember to, I'll try to take a photo of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so if I'm understanding this correctly all the existing wires are already there and available for the auto-dimming and approach lighting even if it did not come equipped? My Forester XT had the auto dimming and I;ve been spoiled, would love it back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
so if I'm understanding this correctly all the existing wires are already there and available for the auto-dimming and approach lighting even if it did not come equipped? My Forester XT had the auto dimming and I;ve been spoiled, would love it back.

You're correct. The wires are all there hidden behind the mirror. If you get the auto dimming mirrors, you'll just have to remove the old ones and connect the new mirrors. But your Ascent does need to have the dimming rear view.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's awesome! yes I do have the rearview, as someone mentioned before it's defeating having it there only to be blinded on the corner of your eye. Boom! found my first purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Quick question on this subject:

I haven't yet received my new mirrors I've ordered, but I'm planning to replace the approach light white LED bulbs to red ones, as I did for all interior bulbs already (astronomy enthusiast here, caring for dark adaptation if I need to get stuff in the car).
On pictures above, I see a little cover box on the back of the mirror, at what looks like the LED location.
If anyone has looked there already, could you please tell me what type of bulb it is ? I'm guessing typical 194 bulb but would like to be sure before ordering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
just a side question; which models have the auto dim side mirrors as standard?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.