Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days in the Colorado mountains have demonstrated that snow and ice builds up in front of the rear wheels in the wheel well to an inordinate degree. The spacing is very small (at least on the Limited) so when snow accumulates it has no place to go and quickly turns to a larger ice chunk. Typically the tires will route out the build up which in fact still occurs but very slowly resulting in wear and tear on the tires themselves along with grinding noises during the process. Even if I am able to loosen the large piece by hitting it with my foot, the piece can not dislodge due to its size. Today I had to break it up with a tool and then manually pull out the now smaller chunks. I never had a vehicle in which this occurred like this. The rest of the wheel well handles build up in a reasonable fashion and I can simply dislodge the bulk after a wack of the foot. I wonder if this has to do with the door size?

I guess I just have to be more proactive when it snows and store a narrow metal tool to assist in the breakup when necessary.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know if the clearances are the same for both wheel sizes. If the clearances are the same, the wheel size is certainly a factor.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've read someplace where tire diameter are pretty much the same; 20" vs 18" wheels.
Try using a deicer like this, as well as WD-40 before heading out;
Spray De-Icer
Not sure if it would work prophylactically or after the fact. I will try this or a facsimile and let the forum know if it made a difference. I would not want to get spray on the rubber since I do not know if it would deteriorate the compounds.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The tire diameter is the same regardless of wheel size.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The last few days in the Colorado mountains have demonstrated that snow and ice builds up in front of the rear wheels in the wheel well to an inordinate degree. The spacing is very small (at least on the Limited) so when snow accumulates it has no place to go and quickly turns to a larger ice chunk. Typically the tires will route out the build up which in fact still occurs but very slowly resulting in wear and tear on the tires themselves along with grinding noises during the process. Even if I am able to loosen the large piece by hitting it with my foot, the piece can not dislodge due to its size. Today I had to break it up with a tool and then manually pull out the now smaller chunks. I never had a vehicle in which this occurred like this. The rest of the wheel well handles build up in a reasonable fashion and I can simply dislodge the bulk after a wack of the foot. I wonder if this has to do with the door size?

I guess I just have to be more proactive when it snows and store a narrow metal tool to assist in the breakup when necessary.
This is part of the Subaru love thing. Same thing has happened with all of mine. Like you say, taking the "pro-active" approach. Park your car in the sun.

🧡

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is part of the Subaru love thing. Same thing has happened with all of mine. Like you say, taking the "pro-active" approach. Park your car in the sun.

🧡
Colorado sun and 10° is still 10°. Small concern, I will deal with it. In the meanwhile I loved being able to pick up and go in the middle of a driving snow storm without fear of getting stuck (I always have EM supplies with me).

·
Registered
629 Posts
So ... I think the Ascent is even worse due to the "texture-fuzz" on the wheel well liner vs plastic. Any ... "release agent" is not going to be effective. The wheel liner is like one side of velcro. The ice is the other side.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So ... I think the Ascent is even worse due to the "texture-fuzz" on the wheel well liner vs plastic. Any ... "release agent" is not going to be effective. The wheel liner is like one side of velcro. The ice is the other side.
Sadly, I was thinking the same. The snow just sprays there and stays. I hope this becomes a consideration for the engineers when considering the material four years from now. The same material or very similar is in the engine compartment and supports growth.

I will just have to keep up with knocking it off.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
I constantly had this problem on my 2010 Outback, and would have to stop to kick ice off, because it was making the car vibrate when it rubbed against the tires.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have no experience with this stuff but I was wondering if the new hydrophobic spray products would be of any help preventing this build up.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I
I have no experience with this stuff but I was wondering if the new hydrophobic spray products would be of any help preventing this build up.
Will be looking at that approach but I figure there are some limitations due to the texture of the well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used a 2 part spray once on some tennis shoes. The finish didn't last very long, but when it did work, it was amazing how nothing stuck to them. Maybe a spray-on coating like Plasti-Dip, undercoating or a bedliner spray would work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts