Subaru Ascent Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Intake filter on. Nice weather and smooth traveling sports mode 5. 29.1 mpg on a 23 mile drive 70mph. Might leave in sports from now . Seems like breathing mode might help this car

·
Registered
896 Posts
Intake filter on. Nice weather and smooth traveling sports mode 5. 29.1 mpg on a 23 mile drive 70mph. Might leave in sports from now . Seems like breathing mode might help this car
Did you install a drop-in filter, A CAI system, or replace the box with a cone? Just curious. I've also played with intake filtration in other cars and have found no gains. I may get a Pro Dry filter for the Ascent though since I still have a bottle of cleaner of them.

I'm not sure if the short drives you've been posting lately can be considered as meaningful data since one snapshot can only suggest a trend, but does not confirm it. It does seem though that you're getting better results out of the throttle controller than I am. If it works, it works...

I still have mine uninstalled and am still on my first tank since I had the 6k oil change. My display is saying 21.2. Before I began experimenting with the throttle controller my display would be teetering between the high 19s and low 20s in similar driving conditions. I'm getting "results" without using the throttle controller - crazy! I will likely go another two tanks this way to ensure confidence in my own findings. Then I may re-install it for another few tanks to establish more data. YMMV.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Did you install a drop-in filter, A CAI system, or replace the box with a cone? Just curious. I've also played with intake filtration in other cars and have found no gains. I may get a Pro Dry filter for the Ascent though since I still have a bottle of cleaner of them.

I'm not sure if the short drives you've been posting lately can be considered as meaningful data since one snapshot can only suggest a trend, but does not confirm it. It does seem though that you're getting better results out of the throttle controller than I am. If it works, it works...

I still have mine uninstalled and am still on my first tank since I had the 6k oil change. My display is saying 21.2. Before I began experimenting with the throttle controller my display would be teetering between the high 19s and low 20s in similar driving conditions. I'm getting "results" without using the throttle controller - crazy! I will likely go another two tanks this way to ensure confidence in my own findings. Then I may re-install it for another few tanks to establish more data. YMMV.
Just a drop in. My friend has an sti Intake which looks like it would fit the ascent with very little modification but I have not tried yet. I drive about 30- 80 a day so I get thru a tank within a week. Still on sports mode just to allow the car to relearn the drop in so my data on sports mode is not legit I think. But on sports mode it's been about 100 miles now and it's still at 26.9mpg. The weather has been awesome in NY the last 3 days and I've been driving way more highway than city lately. I'm sure the 26.9 will not last though but it's been really fun in sports mode.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Just an update, after installing a drop in AEM filter I was able to achieve 24.7 mpg with about 60% highway 40%City Sports 7(Highest Sport setting on throttle controller). Going to leave it on Sports 7 for a while and see if I can keep replicating the same numbers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well I was planning on getting the fuzzy dice after my Ascent gets in but not now that it wont be covered by the Subaru warranty....:tango_face_wink::smile_big:
I did not care one bit. I must have fuzzy dice. If a car I'm driving doesn't have fuzzy dice, it feels like I'm driving a rental. In fact, in order to be more comfortable, I often bring my fuzzy dice on trips so that the rental feels more like home. I am thinking of starting a fuzzy dice club.

Edit: So how hard is it to change from one mode to another? Is it something that can be done on the fly, or do you have to pull over, or even turn the car off and back on? Never used one of these gadgets before. Seems ta me if it's as easy as just pusking the little up/down button there's no reason ya can't just switch between multiple modes as driving conditions change. If it's more involved than that though, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the bucks to try it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I did not care one bit. I must have fuzzy dice. If a car I'm driving doesn't have fuzzy dice, it feels like I'm driving a rental. In fact, in order to be more comfortable, I often bring my fuzzy dice on trips so that the rental feels more like home. I am thinking of starting a fuzzy dice club.

Edit: So how hard is it to change from one mode to another? Is it something that can be done on the fly, or do you have to pull over, or even turn the car off and back on? Never used one of these gadgets before. Seems ta me if it's as easy as just pusking the little up/down button there's no reason ya can't just switch between multiple modes as driving conditions change. If it's more involved than that though, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the bucks to try it.
Its all on the fly, but if you plan on switching frequently and you don't mind the wire being seen then mounting it right above the gear shifter is your best bet for easy and safe access. I have mine to the left of the steering wheel and when I kept switching from sport to eco depending on what kind of traffic I was in it was a little inconvenient but once I switched it to the gear shifter it was pretty easy and comfortable. For some people its not netting them as much as they hoped but im getting around 2-3mpg extra without trying or driving like a grandma. If I drive like a grandma I can stretch out the fuel economy a little more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
128 miles since trip reset on sports mode 7. 70% highway and 30% city. Heat is on at 72 degrees front and rear. Seems like sports mode is doing me justice. I dont seem the number dropping much from here. I think the benefit of sports mode is the fact that I don't have to give it much pedal to cruise at 65-70mph so it's almost like I'm coasting the whole ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
128 miles since trip reset on sports mode 7. 70% highway and 30% city. Heat is on at 72 degrees front and rear. Seems like sports mode is doing me justice. I dont seem the number dropping much from here. I think the benefit of sports mode is the fact that I don't have to give it much pedal to cruise at 65-70mph so it's almost like I'm coasting the whole ride.

@RichieRich - do you use 'fuelly.com' to report your mileage and consumption? That would be a great way to monitor and share your overall performance. I just signed up but forgot to see what I needed when I filled up today. also no iOS app for it, so it may take me a while to get that into the habit

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
@RichieRich - do you use 'fuelly.com' to report your mileage and consumption? That would be a great way to monitor and share your overall performance. I just signed up but forgot to see what I needed when I filled up today. also no iOS app for it, so it may take me a while to get that into the habit
Yea I've used it before with previous cars, but it can get annoying if you don't remember to put in data. Plus I never grab a receipt from the gas station so I have to look like a loser and take a picture of the meter because I'll forget everything by time I make it home. Ill use it now and put in my last two trips since I wrote those down if it makes it easier for you guys to see the data.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Just an update, after installing a drop in AEM filter I was able to achieve 24.7 mpg with about 60% highway 40%City Sports 7(Highest Sport setting on throttle controller). Going to leave it on Sports 7 for a while and see if I can keep replicating the same numbers.
Recall the filter model number? Maybe a link?

·
Registered
10 Posts
+Elebenty billion for this little device. Sports 7 helped quite a bit with that 1300-1800RPM hesitation/lag/stumble/lurch nonsense that's on other threads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm interested in trying this throttle device. Can't find one that says fits 2019 Subaru Ascent. Anyone help here for link? I have a Pedal Commander on my 18 O.B. 2.5 and love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Model # for Injen Throttle Controller

I'm interested in trying this throttle device. Can't find one that says fits 2019 Subaru Ascent. Anyone help here for link? I have a Pedal Commander on my 18 O.B. 2.5 and love it.
Just search for Injen PT0002.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For the AEM filter just replace or do we need to do any modification?. Am getting terrible MPG .. with INJEN with normal and sports mode but it is better if I am eco 7 but I need power as well ..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Have not posted in a while but I'm still doing pretty good with mpg. Now that the weather is warmer I have switched to eco 1 which doesnt kill the thrill of the ascent's power and I'm still returning excellent numbers. The screenshot of 23.6mpg over 4200 miles would be ever better but 1500 of the miles were testing different vehicle modes where I didnt even go past 21mpg. My mods are AEM filter, stock intake net removed, and eco mode 1. Super happy with my results , and I can usually get about 400miles before I have to fill and I still have about 4 gallons in the tank so I can stretch the numbers out even more. Most of driving has been 20 min trips back and fourth to work

101 - 120 of 122 Posts