Subaru Ascent Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I think Eco 7 means, "I want to be passed by a Ford Fiesta, or maybe a Model T off the line!" /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Off the line each eco mode feels the same sort off but once u pass like 30mph that's were things feel super slow. Highway passing power is definitely limited on eco 7 and . If you have ever driven a crosstrek, that's what eco 6 and 7 feel like. If you can get use to manual mode then I would have no doubt eco 7 would be really doable and I could see 35mpg mixed. I've been using manual mode alot more often. I wish the ascent could shift using the gear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before my MPG (mostly in traffic and city), was 17.8 , (I always get low), now I see it 20.4. I never used to get beyond 18 since the day 1, (4 months old with 4k miles on it), Long drive I was able to get 22 not as advertised 27 though:(, but my speed was always around 70 MPH.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So I finished my tank on ECO 3 and my mpg was 23.7mpg. I did ds`to a lot of idling but I do feel I would have gotten in the 24's on eco 4. There were many times where I was over 30% throttle on Eco 3. I'm going to switch back to normal mode and see what my mileage is like now and how much of difference im really getting.

·
Registered
896 Posts
So I finished my tank on ECO 3 and my mpg was 23.7mpg. I did ds`to a lot of idling but I do feel I would have gotten in the 24's on eco 4. There were many times where I was over 30% throttle on Eco 3. I'm going to switch back to normal mode and see what my mileage is like now and how much of difference im really getting.
I'd be curious to see what going back to normal does for you, especially since you mentioned Sport mode also yielding good results. I'm about 200 miles into Eco 3. I like the way this mode drives. It's very smooth and still feels powerful. My home is at 850 ft and my office as at sea level more or less. In the morning when I arrive to work the dash has been reading 21.1, then after getting back home (in heavy traffic and a slight incline), it goes back down to 20.9. This is *maybe* a tick better than I'd get in normal mode. Time will tell...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
I'd be curious to see what going back to normal does for you, especially since you mentioned Sport mode also yielding good results. I'm about 200 miles into Eco 3. I like the way this mode drives. It's very smooth and still feels powerful. My home is at 850 ft and my office as at sea level more or less. In the morning when I arrive to work the dash has been reading 21.1, then after getting back home (in heavy traffic and a slight incline), it goes back down to 20.9. This is *maybe* a tick better than I'd get in normal mode. Time will tell...
So started off with a great trip on normal. Temp was warmer than usual at 52, compared to the last few days being in the 40's to 30's. No traffic and a 32 mile drive got me 26.4mpg. If I was on ECO 3 I honestly think I would get the same number maybe just a tad bit higher because when I go up inclines I notice in normal mode the shifting is a little harsher which probably means I'm giving a little too much throttle and the car is downshifting where in eco modes I probably stay in watever gear im in. I got a hair cut with my son and after I hit rush hour/xmas shopping heading back to the shopping center. That's where normal mode failed. I went from 26.4 down to 22.8 very quickly. Ill see what I get in the end but I have a feeling it will stay in the 22mpg range. I don't like the way the car drives in normal mode though. I would say if you have patience normal mode is fine for the highway but use eco mode(4-5) for city driving to maintain great numbers.

·
Registered
896 Posts
First full tank on Eco 3 included 5 workdays of my typical commute plus going out to eat, etc. In other words, 99% of what I normally do not including road trips, camping, etc.

I yielded 20.5 MPG - a 2.5% gain over "normal mode". If I can reproduce these figures over the next couple of tanks, then I think I've got my overall results covered. There's no way I'd drive on Eco 4 or higher due to the major reduction in any kind of driving enjoyment. I actually like the smooth power delivery in Eco 3. It's something I can live with long-term. That being said, if 20.5 is my real-world result, then at 15k miles a year and $3.60/gallon I'm projected to save $66 in one year. Is that worth limiting the performance of the vehicle? Probably not. YMMV

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Just finished my tank on normal and got 22.6. If i was on eco 3 id probably be 23.5 to 24mpg. I know I can get more on higher eco modes but like rockthebeef said its not worth going that high and eco 3 seems to be the sweetspot, plus i like the way eco 3 feels. Normal mode from what i see has no problems getting good highway mileage but its the city mileage that it lacks. I'd say switching from normal to eco mode once you hit the city streets is probably the best bet and its not that hard to switch when you need to. 23.5-25 is higher than subaru states the car should get so im satisfied with the outcome of eco 3. I've said this alot but if you go past 70mph switch to manual mode and shift to 8. your mpg will jump up without a doubt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Back to using eco mode and I'm about 90 miles in and im getting 25.9mpg. I've been using eco 2 for highway driving and once I get off the highway I've been switching to eco 5. So far it's been a good combination.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
So last update for throttle controller. It's been 950miles on eco 3 mostly with about 100 miles of testing for the CVT and I'm averaging 23.9 mpg. 70% highway, lots of remote starting and moderate idling. Its hard to say what the increase is but I'd say over normal throttle its about a 1 to 1.3 mph. In higher modes I'm sure I could go more but eco seems the most practical for everyone.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a little update. As previously stated in my last post, I got 20.5 (2.5% improvement) on Eco 3 after a full week of my normal commute. (all MPGs are hand calculated at fillup)

My last fillup was on Jan 2 - my first day back to work since 12/21. We didn't leave town or anything this winter break, which was a nice change actually. I did more suburban driving than normal and got 19.3. I don't know what to make of this data, but let's say that followed my 2.5% improvement from then I would've gotten 18.8 without the throttle controller. Obviously this is extrapolated but is reasonable.

My current tank is reading 21.8 on the display with my normal commute mixed in with one trip to the zoo. The San Diego Zoo isn't far from my house but I did get the car out on the highway a little more than usual.

I'm at 5500 miles right now and will continue to see what Eco 3 does for me. I'm going to remove the throttle controller before my 6k free oil change/software update. When I get the car back from the dealer I'll probably try a couple tanks without the controller to see if my MPG decreases. Then maybe a few more on Eco 3...

If I can improve by 10% (22 average up from 20) then I'll continue to use it. If it's only getting me a marginal improvement, then I'm going to uninstall it and just enjoy my horsepower. :grin:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have a little update. As previously stated in my last post, I got 20.5 (2.5% improvement) on Eco 3 after a full week of my normal commute. (all MPGs are hand calculated at fillup)

My last fillup was on Jan 2 - my first day back to work since 12/21. We didn't leave town or anything this winter break, which was a nice change actually. I did more suburban driving than normal and got 19.3. I don't know what to make of this data, but let's say that followed my 2.5% improvement from then I would've gotten 18.8 without the throttle controller. Obviously this is extrapolated but is reasonable.

My current tank is reading 21.8 on the display with my normal commute mixed in with one trip to the zoo. The San Diego Zoo isn't far from my house but I did get the car out on the highway a little more than usual.

I'm at 5500 miles right now and will continue to see what Eco 3 does for me. I'm going to remove the throttle controller before my 6k free oil change/software update. When I get the car back from the dealer I'll probably try a couple tanks without the controller to see if my MPG decreases. Then maybe a few more on Eco 3...

If I can improve by 10% (22 average up from 20) then I'll continue to use it. If it's only getting me a marginal improvement, then I'm going to uninstall it and just enjoy my horsepower.
Curious to see what you get on normal mode. I usually drive at night when the temps are really low, around 33-37 degrees according to car so it takes a long time for my car to warm up. It's been cold the past few days in NY so my mpg dropped a little. I'm also still on my stock intake filter(cleaning people threw my aem filter out by accident ) so I have to buy a new one. Not sure if the filter makes a difference though

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Just a little update. Decided to take the throttle controller off for a bit. Either just finished tank number two with everything back to stock. I cant break past 21mpg. I'm stuck around 20.7 mpg and that's with most of my driving highway. It seems with the addition of aftermarket intake filter, throttle controller nets me better a good amount. On the throttle my avg is around 23.5.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Prior to my 6000 mile free oil change, I pulled the Throttle X controller and I still calculated 20.9 MPG. After the oil change, I filled up again (9.252 gal) and measured 20.0. I usually don't put much weight into MPG after a service. With a full tank I went to LA this past weekend, and with all of that traffic, the computer was saying 25.5 MPG upon the end of the return trip. I probably added another 80 miles since then and filled up this morning - 23.7 MPG calculated (24.6 display). After my commute to work in light traffic, the computer was reading 30 MPG. I know that will average back down after a couple hundred more miles.

Current thoughts: The Throttle X controller MIGHT be doing something for me, but it's not significant enough to stand out in any way. I'm going to leave it off for now and observe the next couple of tanks. I may re-install it to re-test it, but I'm not expecting anything much. I can drive without the controller installed and still feather the gas pedal down to 2% throttle if needed. I think the controller helps more if you have a heavier foot. I think my right foot compensates no matter how the throttle is mapped. My goal with this device was to try and get me into the 22 MPG average range. It didn't do that, but my mileage in general is slowly creeping up. If you're one of those people who is getting horrendous mileage, this might help.

If anybody wants to try this thing, mine might be for sale soon. Or even now(?) - PM me...

·
Registered
56 Posts
For me more than MPG, I enjoy the throttle response whenever needed :). But eco 5 to 7 gives me about 10-15% gain MPG. I just put my car in service for 6k. Let me see how it behaves.

·
Registered
896 Posts
For me more than MPG, I enjoy the throttle response whenever needed :). But eco 5 to 7 gives me about 10-15% gain MPG. I just put my car in service for 6k. Let me see how it behaves.
Yes, good throttle response is important. I found Eco3 to be very liveable, but that only got me a 2.5% increase over a few tanks. My acceptance critieria for this was a 10% gain on no higher than Eco3 (for 22MPG average). Anything higher than Eco4 and up was just too soul-sucking for me to want to live with.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Sorry for my bad grammar last post. Typing on my phone and rushing is never successful. Back on Eco 4 to see what the difference is and to be fair on normal I decided to block all the eco displays on the car with black tapeand drive normally. Best I got was 21.1 mpg. Now I will do the same on Eco 4 and wait until gas light to come on to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I cheated and took a quick peak to see what the mpg is looking like after about 150 miles. On eco 4 I'm showing 24.3mpg, and that's after being stuck in standstill traffic for about 3 hrs because whiteout conditions yesterday. So I'm sure it was higher before that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Finally finished my tank on eco 4. Not as high as I thought it would be but still a decent increase. 22.8 mpg but to be fair I was stuck in 3 hr standstill traffic during a small snow storm, and traveled city streets more frequently compared to my best normal test run of 21.1 which was 95% highway with little to no traffic. Just got my new intake filter and I'm going to see what the increase will be.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts