Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys so I tried to contact Injen about the throttle controller because I believe the Ascent would benefit from a Eco/Normal/Sport mode. They never responded back and I just decided I would just purchase the Subaru version hoping it works. If not I would give it to my wife. Today I received it and it took me about 10 mins to install( 5 mins to hide wires). Voila it works! I have yet to play around with all the modes but eco mode 5 seems the most comfortable right now but eco 6 might actually produce some great MPG numbers because driving through the city the car never saw more than 15% throttle. Sport mode is pretty crazy I dont think its needed but if you thought acceleration was crazy stock, sport mode turns it into a Ferrari(okay not Ferrari but it does amp the car up). I wouldnt jump out to buy it yet until I test a little more and maybe we can get Injen to join the forum and give a group rate and it would make a great xmas gift/or request! Tomorrow I have to take about a 50mile drive and ill let you know if this thing will actually help fuel economy because then it pays for itself in the long run.
Heres a quick picture of where I put it for now. and Link to model purchased.https://www.injen.com/x-pedal-pro-throttle-controller-includes-plug-and-play-harness-adapter-and-controll-module-7.html

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning took a 45 mile drive to my parents house and was in traffic the whole time. Usually Its a smooth ride and takes me 55min today the traffic was stop and go. Usually with traffic like this I'll see 21mpg but after using eco mode 6(which I think Is the best mode to really say it's a real eco mode) I saw 28mpg which is way better than expected. My avg speed was 30mph. So far this controller works and I actually like the drive better. Everything feels smoother and driving in traffic is so much better without the jumpy throttle. The car never feels underpowered because once you give a certain amount of throttle the car will go. I think people will like eco 5 more but it doesn't really feel that much different than normal. Here's a screen shot of my drive. That's what traffic looked like the whole way. Still waiting to get a good highway drive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I usually play Guinea pig. I'd say the device is worth it buy if more people say they want it. I'll contact injun and see if we get a forum discount. My next mod will be exhaust tips. I think the exhaust tips on the ascent are too small.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This just remaps the pedal to throttle body control right? So 50% pedal can be 25% throttle?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This just remaps the pedal to throttle body control right? So 50% pedal can be 25% throttle?
Yes exactly and I know people will say just use your foot and stop pressing the gas so hard but it's easier said than done. What I like is how smooth the car drives now, I'm usually misjudging how fast I'm really traveling and sometimes I have to brake abruptly because traffic is stopping suddenly. With the throttle controller all my take offs are super smooth and the overall drive seems enjoyable so far. It's only be one day so I'm still giving it more time before I say yay or nay.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes exactly and I know people will say just use your foot and stop pressing the gas so hard but it's easier said than done. What I like is how smooth the car drives now, I'm usually misjudging how fast I'm really traveling and sometimes I have to brake abruptly because traffic is stopping suddenly. With the throttle controller all my take offs are super smooth and the overall drive seems enjoyable so far. It's only be one day so I'm still giving it more time before I say yay or nay.
I'm with you. The pedal seems to be programmed to be closer to an on/off switch so it feels more powerful but you need more of a logarithmic pedal to make better use of the 0-20% throttle where you can get better mileage.

From what I understand it *shouldn't* have any impact on cruise control but did you notice anything when you were able to use cruise control?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with you. The pedal seems to be programmed to be closer to an on/off switch so it feels more powerful but you need more of a logarithmic pedal to make better use of the 0-20% throttle where you can get better mileage.

From what I understand it *shouldn't* have any impact on cruise control but did you notice anything when you were able to use cruise control?
Did not use cruise control yet. On my way back home tonight I'll give it a try if there is no traffic. I can tell you that on eco 6 it's easy to keep the car at %18 or under and still have a safe and comfortable drive. I consistently saw around 10 to 12% cruising and as a test I switched to normal mode while trying to keep my foot as perfectly still as possible on the pedal and throttle percentage went all the way up to 25% instead of 12%. I am pretty sure that's where most people live at or even higher and dont even notice and it's really hard and time consuming to keep looking at the meter and adjust your foot, the throttle controller pretty much takes care of that for you. L

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
You know, this is interesting. My wife's 2016 Honda Pilot has a pretty aggressive tip-in with the accelerator, bringing the V6 screaming to life. It's very sensitive. I actually enjoy driving the Pilot in the Honda version of X-Mode in "Snow" settings. The throttle is significantly less sensitive.

I think it's all we've become accustomed to: my wife says that she really has to touch the pedal to get going in my Outback (though it is a 2.5, it's still a lighter car).

This is interesting to have such high numbers, even in stop-and-go traffic. I'm going to subscribe to the thread and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You know, this is interesting. My wife's 2016 Honda Pilot has a pretty aggressive tip-in with the accelerator, bringing the V6 screaming to life. It's very sensitive. I actually enjoy driving the Pilot in the Honda version of X-Mode in "Snow" settings. The throttle is significantly less sensitive.

I think it's all we've become accustomed to: my wife says that she really has to touch the pedal to get going in my Outback (though it is a 2.5, it's still a lighter car).

This is interesting to have such high numbers, even in stop-and-go traffic. I'm going to subscribe to the thread and keep an eye on it.
I'll definitely keep posting and hopefully have a real review in a about a week. But so far it seems promising. It's funny that mention xmode because the throttle controller in eco mode might actually help you out in bad weather conditions. I know xmode on our cars turn off at 25mph but now it's like you can have xmode on at all times and help you drive safer in snow conditions. If I saw correctly there is a snow mode on the throttle controller to help reduce skid.

·
Registered
646 Posts
@RichieRich

Do you have a model number? I did some very quick googling the thread title + subaru but didn't see any quick and easy "that's the one to get" results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think it's all we've become accustomed to.....

Exactly.

Although we are all prone to filing our complaints rather early, the truth is that we're all also remarkably adaptable creatures. A few days, hours, or even minutes behind the wheel, and we've already modified our behaviors (and expectations).

This is perhaps a little less obvious now, but back in the 70s and 80s, it seemed that cars from the three main areas of the world - Europe, USA, and Japan - had drastically different "feels" for how they drove. You'd never mistake a Mercedes or BMW's outputs versus a Cadillac or Toyota: put your foot on the gas pedal in the Cadillac as you would a Mercedes, you'd end up at hyperlegal speeds in no time - feather the brakes in the BMW as you would the Toyota, and you've just blown by the stop-sign. :grin:

Even so, there continues to be some differences discernible today, even with "everyday" makes/models. My brother-in-law was in town a few months ago for a quick day's worth of business, and we loaned him my wife's '16 WRX. His reply in handing the key back was that the car was nuts - he'd never experienced something so eager to leap off the line up to 30 MPH. :smile_big:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@RichieRich

Do you have a model number? I did some very quick googling the thread title + subaru but didn't see any quick and easy "that's the one to get" results.

Thanks!
I ordered mine from amazon(used a gift card to buy) but part number is PT0002. If you go on amazon it states many versions. Mine said for 2006-2016 wrx. But it as long as is says PT0002 should all be the same.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Might this have an impact on future warranty issues?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might this have an impact on future warranty issues?
Any modification can void warranty but this is a plug and play part which can be remove if any issues unrelated were to occur. They would have to prove the part is directly related to the issues. Changing your interior lights can void some parts of warranty. Anything you do is at your own risk in the end. The chances of this causing an issue is probably very low, but I'm the test dummy so I'll keep you guys updated

·
Registered
217 Posts
Any modification can void warranty but this is a plug and play part which can be remove if any issues unrelated were to occur. They would have to prove the part is directly related to the issues. Changing your interior lights can void some parts of warranty. Anything you do is at your own risk in the end. The chances of this causing an issue is probably very low, but I'm the test dummy so I'll keep you guys updated
Lets hope its a test GURU not a dummy.

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
659 Posts
These "pedal commanders" have been around ever since drive-by-throttles came out. I had one from AVO Turboworld. AVO is a Japanese product company. They make all kinds of things for WRX, STI, LGTs. I had their throttle controller. Sure, it changes things a little bit however ... it is still all based on factors on the original throttle mapping. It's a piggy-back if you follow me. It is doing what it does by modifying an existing (lets call it a bad map) Subaru Map. This is done in general way and it treats all car the same. (Ascents in this case)

Well the AVO controller did exactly what it said it would do. (3) different street settings and one for off-road. But after the initial "hey ... this is cool", you realize a turd, no matter how many ways you polish it ... is still a bad map.

This is where tuning, real tuning comes to the table... that looks at individual as cars, not wait ... I mean cars as individuals, NO WAIT, I mean pro-tuning. Either remote or physical. Oh, yeah ... someday COBB will fix the bad map with an AP application for the Ascent. But so far we haven't seen it. COBB stage or shelf tunes will still treat all cars the same, it will just maximize what the "car" can do based upon the platform as general hole.

I kept the AVO less than a month and 30 days later I was working with Extreme Racing Tuning. Ed will Tune Ascents one day. That day will only come when someone is interested. Then Ed will crack the ECU for you and down the rabbit hole.

True, any real ECU tuning leaves a mark.

But honestly, I would be logging or recording data. Just like @RichieRich did with the hood-scoop-K&N thing. I would be concerned about all kinds parameters and not just AFR readings. I have no idea if RomRaider has a definition for the Ascent yet. That would be one for the RR forum.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts