Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I consider JD Power initial quality a joke, here’s this for your reading pleasure. Subaru didn’t score great.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Time will tell the truth. Without a crystal ball all we can do is speculate on historical data. To me that survey result seems like a joke with Dodge and Chevy being labelled as reliable.

I think the initial quality of the Ascent’s and most Subaru’s is quite good. I do worry about the long term high mileage on our drivetrain with the small turbo engine and CVT.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The head unit for Subaru has been a consistent problem for both of our Ascent and Crostrek. We’ve replaced the Ascent once. Both have quirks and glitches that are definitely reportable but still operates on a daily basis. Coupled with some people having engine issues with the Ascent plus the recalls of late for just my two modeled cars, I can see why Subaru is down on the list.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I can only speak to my experience so far with my 2019 Limited purchased 9/18. I have had zero problems and no trips to the dealer other than for routine service and recalls.

The fit and finish are as good or better than any car or truck I've owned since 1969. There have been no leaks, rattles or odd clunks. At about 20,000 miles everything works like new including the sun roof that gets used a lot during good weather and the tires are hanging in there too.

My gas mileage when I was driving more was at or slightly above the rated mileage.

I have to admit that I actually LOL'd when I read the top brands on the JD Powers list yesterday.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'll have to say ( and you all know of my well-documented issues with the car over the first year of ownership), I've been pretty fortunate I haven't had anything significant happen since the end of last year. So had I been surveyed, I would have had to report unfavorably for regarding initial quality, but since the beginning of 2020 I haven't had anything major with the car, except my Android auto doesn't like to stay connected regardless of what cord I use. I mentioned before, I appear to be an anomaly in general with the amount of initial issues I had, but you have to look at the entire population to get accurate data.

Still, oddly enough, after 9 months, exactly zero issues with my Jaguar F-Pace. So as I said, I'm an anomaly for certain!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,846 Posts
I can only speak to my experience so far with my 2019 Limited purchased 9/18. I have had zero problems and no trips to the dealer other than for routine service and recalls.

The fit and finish are as good or better than any car or truck I've owned since 1969. There have been no leaks, rattles or odd clunks. At about 20,000 miles everything works like new including the sun roof that gets used a lot during good weather and the tires are hanging in there too.

My gas mileage when I was driving more was at or slightly above the rated mileage.

I have to admit that I actually LOL'd when I read the top brands on the JD Powers list yesterday.
Ditto other than my fuel economy is actually higher at a hair over 23 mpg in general rural driving. :)

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
216 Posts
These surveys are often very subjective, and owners who are not satisfied with a vehicle for a particular reason are probably more likely to consider something a problem, despite any efforts to make responses objective.

We're pretty happy with our Ascent. The CVT programming is goofy and I'd probably be apt to report that as a problem if I were more frustrated with the car or wanted to "get back at Subaru" for some reason. The driver side ventillated seat is making a fan bearing noise and I need to bring it to the dealer for that. That's probably something I'd need to report on the survey. The car will not find an OTA software or map update when connected to my home WiFi, but I was able to install via USB. I won't carry it to the dealer for that, but it's probably something I'd report on the survey (infotainment problems). We have the shifter console trim sqeak and various other interior rattles that I'm not terribly impressed with...mostly things like dash material creaking that's fixed with some "adjustment" of the material (pushing on it). I'd probably report that, though I think it's probably something "they all do". I'm particularly sensitive to squeaks and rattles, so others may not even hear these things.

Ours is a Feb 2020 production car, so these issues are definitely "initial quality" issues that I'd report on the survey.

·
Registered
154 Posts

The only unbiased testing and surveying is conducted by Consumer Reports. Like them or hate them, they don't take any money from industry and they publish test results that are empirical (other than things like comfort which are subjective but even there they take measurements and use standardized different sized test drivers). I mostly weigh the CR Results over other magazines and websites in my purchase decisions. The CR downgrade the Ascent received between the initial 2019 review and the 2020 review was attributed primarily in a decline in the electronics rating. When you look at the other models that I was comparing like the CX-9, the others received similar downgrades in the same category. I'll wager that CR's top rated Telluride will experience a similar drop in score when the April 2020 rating are released. I check in on the Telluride forums and they're not all still elated with their purchases.

You know what's missing from the jd powers ranking? A second graph stack ranking how much each of the manufacturer's pays jd powers annually. That will never happen but it's the only way that the first graph can be judged.

Also, they survey after 90 days off ownership. I'm pretty critical and worked on cars all my life but unless something is an outright fail, I'm not going to know what's wrong in 90 days. Due to the quarantine, our Ascent has spent it's first 60 days in the garage except for my weekly start it and drive it to keep it running outings. If I get a jd power survey I'll have to say everything is perfect since nothings going wrong in an unused car.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what's missing from the jd powers ranking? A second graph stack ranking how much each of the manufacturer's pays jd powers annually. That will never happen but it's the only way that the first graph can be judged.
I could be wrong but the impression I get from jd power is they’re paid to skew results to whichever manufacturer pays best. So if Subaru wanted to make the top of the list they’d pay jd power to send out a survey that’s going to ask questions that they’ll specifically do better on. I’m actually thankful Subaru isn’t high on this list

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've always thought there should be two or three separate ratings. I realize there are many subcategories within an overall rating, but it is sort of unknown how heavily weighted some categories are. Such as the infotainment system: imho I could care less about it, I preferred my previous vehicle that had no screen. I don't use siri or carplay. I realize of course this is important to many people. I would prefer to see 3 ratings: mechanical, hardware, software. However, I'm no expert and these companies have been doing this a long time.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
216 Posts
Alex on Autos just created a video on this survey which, as he describes it, has caused the internet to explode.

He does make a good point about alleged payment for ratings. If true, why would Dodge be #1 and Chrysler be near the bottom?

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Alex on Autos just created a video on this survey which, as he describes it, has caused the internet to explode.

He does make a good point about alleged payment for ratings. If true, why would Dodge be #1 and Chrysler be near the bottom?
Each brand needs to pay. Additionally, there's reports that each dealership needs to also pay. Also, considering the crossover in parts and technology between Dodge and Chrysler, the divergence in ratings speaks volumes.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So they pay jdpower for the data then use that data to get better results next time. Like focused studying for the SAT’s. Worst part is when the manufacturers advertise the results like they really mean anything other than “hey look we build basic cars for the masses”

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'll have to say ( and you all know of my well-documented issues with the car over the first year of ownership), I've been pretty fortunate I haven't had anything significant happen since the end of last year. So had I been surveyed, I would have had to report unfavorably for regarding initial quality, but since the beginning of 2020 I haven't had anything major with the car, except my Android auto doesn't like to stay connected regardless of what cord I use. I mentioned before, I appear to be an anomaly in general with the amount of initial issues I had, but you have to look at the entire population to get accurate data.

Still, oddly enough, after 9 months, exactly zero issues with my Jaguar F-Pace. So as I said, I'm an anomaly for certain!
The i-Pace is being offered with $20K discount plus the $7,500 federal tax credit. A good deal if you need one.

·
Registered
998 Posts

It's interesting that Land Rover and Tesla always end up at the bottom, no matter the method of testing or scoring.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The i-Pace is being offered with $20K discount plus the $7,500 federal tax credit. A good deal if you need one.
Honestly, I think if people who were considering Tesla model X drove an I-Pace, that they would sell quite a few of them. There's no marketing for it, I've never seen an advertisement for one anywhere. Granted it's not as big as the model x, but these cars are as much a status purchase as it is a necessity for most people.
I would consider getting one if I were in the market now, but there aren't a lot of charging stations in Western Mass, where I spend a lot of my time.

.....An all electric Jaguar, brought to you by Lucas electronics, the inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper, and self-dimming headlights..... :).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honestly, I think if people who were considering Tesla model X drove an I-Pace, that they would sell quite a few of them. There's no marketing for it, I've never seen an advertisement for one anywhere. Granted it's not as big as the model x, but these cars are as much a status purchase as it is a necessity for most people.
I would consider getting one if I were in the market now, but there aren't a lot of charging stations in Western Mass, where I spend a lot of my time.

.....An all electric Jaguar, brought to you by Lucas electronics, the inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper, and self-dimming headlights..... :).
Lucas, Lord of Darkness we used to say.

I converted quite a few Jaguars, MGs and Triumphs to 12v AC Delco starters and alternators. Also put a Chevy 327 into a Jaguar XKE once. It was amazing how much some owners will put up with to own the car of their dreams.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts