Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Touring....Took delivery at the end of July. Only 500+ miles so far but that includes a shopping trip to Denver yesterday..Maybe 150 miles with a lot of stop and go city driving in South Denver. Initial impressions:

Good:
1) It's a great highway cruiser. Very comfortable, quiet. It will be a wonderful roadtrip car.
2) Gas mileage has been acceptable with tank fills hand calculating at 21.86 MPG, very close to the EPA average on a new engine. I'll take it.
3) Despite the size, the new global architecture is a welcome change. Corners better than my 2019 Outback 3.6R. I know that's not saying much but it is an improvement.
4) Initial build quality has been impressive.

Bad:
It's an awful stop and go city car. The stumbling/bumbling from a stop light is beyond aggravating. It behaves differently nearly every time. Sometimes I accelerate like I have a raw egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Starts out relatively smoothly and then the CVT stumbling starts, especially until you get above 30 mph. Sometimes I accelerate hard and the RPM's rocket up and it's a very unpleasant, rough experience. The fake shifting is so much more obvious than in the 6 cylinder 5th gen Outbacks I've owned.

We'll see how the Ascent matures as it breaks in but the invasive CVT is not fun...it's the only thing I don't love about the Ascent....

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
2020 Touring....Took delivery at the end of July. Only 500+ miles so far but that includes a shopping trip to Denver yesterday..Maybe 150 miles with a lot of stop and go city driving in South Denver. Initial impressions:

Good:
1) It's a great highway cruiser. Very comfortable, quiet. It will be a wonderful roadtrip car.
2) Gas mileage has been acceptable with tank fills hand calculating at 21.86 MPG, very close to the EPA average on a new engine. I'll take it.
3) Despite the size, the new global architecture is a welcome change. Corners better than my 2019 Outback 3.6R. I know that's not saying much but it is an improvement.
4) Initial build quality has been impressive.

Bad:
It's an awful stop and go city car. The stumbling/bumbling from a stop light is beyond aggravating. It behaves differently nearly every time. Sometimes I accelerate like I have a raw egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Starts out relatively smoothly and then the CVT stumbling starts, especially until you get above 30 mph. Sometimes I accelerate hard and the RPM's rocket up and it's a very unpleasant, rough experience. The fake shifting is so much more obvious than in the 6 cylinder 5th gen Outbacks I've owned.

We'll see how the Ascent matures as it breaks in but the invasive CVT is not fun...it's the only thing I don't love about the Ascent....
I did not have those bad experiences with my 2019 Limited. I now have about 30,000 miles on my Limited. I am in Denver and travel highways and city every day. I expect your experience has more to do with the break in, but certainly it is appropriate to keep an eye on it, closely follow the break in protocol and if it continues to communicate with the dealer. Document your experiences closely in as much detail as possible.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I purchased a 20 limited in may. About 1500 miles on the car. I like everything about the car other then the fuel mileage, could be better as I think the fake shifting is affecting the mileage and the cvt program definitely needs tweaked along with the turbo tip in. The cons you described are spot on. Very rough from 0 to 30. I keep speaking of my old 10 outback that was so smoooth. Hopefully with everyone kind of complaining of the same thing Subaru might get the picture and give us an ecm or tcm update. All in all great car, love it! I think we as a group can make it better! Subaru LISTEN UP!!!!! Lol!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
We have a March 2020 build Touring with nearly 5k miles on it now and our list matches yours nearly exactly. It's a wonderful highway car and we're lucky that we don't have a lot of stop and go because it is often pretty aggravating. I will say that I'm starting to get used to it and have gotten pretty good at predicting what seems very unpredictable at times. Using manual mode also smooths it all out (save for the steps in the ratio, obviously). I go back and forth between manual and auto mode...and I'd say that I use each about half the time around town.

I really encourage you to write to the SoA customer service email about your dislike. I have as well (and have posted it here). They won't do anything to fix it if they don't know that it bugs owners.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I posted my large letter twice now as they said they never received the first one. Is it common they just don't care to acknowledge your concerns or even get back to you without you threatening them as I did in my second letter. I figured they would at least get back with you?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the CVT gets better. My '19 did. Initially it was holy cow, WTF? After a few thou it settled down. Around town mine is perfectly smooth (no fake shifts) and mild mannered keeping up, moving with the traffic, and even driving a bit more aggressively. I can usually hit traffic speed on an highway or interstate on ramp without fake shifting kicking it. A bit more than that in town or on the on ramp and the poorly executed fake shifting kicks in. There still is of course the initial lag in accelerator response starting off from a stop or near stop. That remains. I learned to put the pedal where I think I will want it and wait for the power to come rather than goosing it, which seems to be counterproductive.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You do get used to the CVT (and it gets used to you as the programming learns). Now I accelerate smoothly all the time.

Ironically when in Texas visiting relatives I drove their Lexus RX350. My "subaru foot" made the thing lurch and hunt for gears. I had to adjust my foot to make that luxury car behave properly.

So yes, the Subaru throttle response is definitely quirky, but you do get used to it!

·
Registered
2020 Touring
25 Posts
I'm at 3 weeks and 600 miles on a 2020 Touring and have not experienced this. I think part of it is how you handle the throttle, I tend to be more aggressive with it from my BMW days and frankly I'm surprised how responsive it is. I wish the engine sounded more like an engine, but the overall powertrain has been better than I expected.

Really odd how each manufacturer handles their throttle start, each brand I've driven over the years takes some learning on how to best drive the car.

I do agree that gas mileage isn't great and I hope it gets better as the Ascent breaks in. At least is is regular gas and I'm really not driving much thank to the pandemic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts