Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our first long road trip today and had some infotainment issues. After one rest stop and getting back in the car the touchscreen was not responding. Both the native Subaru screen and Apple CarPlay. Everything still seemed to work as long as you could get to it either with physical buttons or using the phone when in CarPlay. At the next stop after shutting down and locking car and coming back 10-15 minutes later it was back to normal. Then when we got to our destination we were there for about 10 min and got back into the car to go to dinner. The infotainment screen was frozen at the starlink logo and nothing would work at all. Then after dinner it was back to normal. Car is an October
build 8 passenger limited. Anyone have any similar experiences? We have had no problems until now.

Another infotainment question that is mostly unrelated. When you push the steering wheel phone button without iPhone plugged in it takes you to Subaru phone screen. If iPhone is plugged in but you are in Subaru interface it takes you to CarPlay phone app. However if you are already in the CarPlay interface somewhere (but not the phone app) the button doesn’t do anything. So only way to get to phone when already in CarPlay is via Siri if you want to avoid reaching for touchscreen. Is this the behavior that others see? Seems odd to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright so on the trip home yesterday more touchscreen unresponsiveness. It would sometimes fix itself but we could go long periods where the screen would not respond to touch. Physical buttons would work though. Anyone have any issues with this? Oct build so should have pretty current firmware but hopefully there is an update to fix this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had similar issues. No real way to diagnose them as they are random except for my Amazon Music issue that I can reproduce but no one at Amazon seems to care to fix.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Try all of these...

Try this:
  1. Update your system's firmware (v4.18.11.50 for non nav, v4.18.20.50 for nav).
  2. Ensure the SiriusXM setup is complete and your radio is registered.
  3. If you have nav, download your "region" (state).
  4. reboot the head unit by holding the "not power" button for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this:
  1. Update your system's firmware (v4.18.11.50 for non nav, v4.18.20.50 for nav).
  2. Ensure the SiriusXM setup is complete and your radio is registered.
  3. If you have nav, download your "region" (state).
  4. reboot the head unit by holding the "not power" button for 10 seconds.
Thanks.

1 and 3. This can be done from within the head unit correct? Do I need to get car on a WiFi network?

2. I completed the online registration of the Siriusxm trial. Anything on the head unit to do?

4. Is this the same as a factory reset? If not is there a factory reset?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Thanks.

1 and 3. This can be done from within the head unit correct? Do I need to get car on a WiFi network?
Yes, they can be done from the head unit, and yes, you need to connect to your home wifi (or create a hotspot with your phone). It will fail or the buttons will remain unclickable if the signal isn't strong enough.

2. I completed the online registration of the Siriusxm trial. Anything on the head unit to do?
Make sure it recognizes your subscription in the settings.

4. Is this the same as a factory reset? If not is there a factory reset?
No. Factory reset is Settings->Factory Reset and restart is a reboot of the head unit's computer, which is performed by holding the "Power" button (volume/mute/pause knob) for ten seconds.

Let me know if there's anything I missed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^^

Awesome thanks. I have a big recertification exam tomorrow and haven’t had any time to tinker but then I will try to do all this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As of December 3rd there is a firmware update for head unit issues. This must be done at the dealership. Hope it solves all of the problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As of December 3rd there is a firmware update for head unit issues. This must be done at the dealership. Hope it solves all of the problems.

I had this update done this week, my main issues were the headunit freezing related to the Bluetooth and phone. It's very intermittent, before and now, and doesn't happen with every call, in or out. The error appears on the phone main menu and displays handsfree system is loading.

Feedback from Anyone who has ap plied the update?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

I had this update done this week, my main issues were the headunit freezing related to the Bluetooth and phone. It's very intermittent, before and now, and doesn't happen with every call, in or out. The error appears on the phone main menu and displays handsfree system is loading.

Feedback from Anyone who has ap plied the update?
Can you please share more details?

What type phone, what version of the OS, and USB only or are you using Carplay/Android Auto?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

I'm not the daily driver so but my wife is. We both save the exact same phone. Sony Xperia XA1 ultra with android 8.0. She mostly uses Android auto and this works 100% ok. Dont have much data on this freezing happening with her in non AA, non USB, just Bluetooth synced mode. Tried a few times with her phone yesterday to freeze up the system after the update, but it's good.

My phone, non AA, non USB. I've had this issue 70% of time whenever I drive it. Bluetooth audio music streaming has never been an issue.

Occasionally I get a call, or I start a call from recent calls. It will go thru and then screen goes into error mode. Just says handsfree system is loading. Must turn off car and open driver door to turn off system.

Other issue which still happens. If I'm on an active call with Bluetooth on, then start the car the call will transfer to ascent in a few seconds, head unit shows the seconds, all looks ok. But audio does not transfer, meaning I'm still speaking thru my phone mic and earpiece.
Still does it now.

I did a reset of my phone network settings and Bluetooth cache. Will sync up with ascent tonight and repeat test again

Oh, and the losing the radio presets seems to be gone after the software update.

A

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the 2019 Subary Forester a couple of months ago and it was fine until today.
Today it froze for the first time.
I could NOT lower the radio or turn off the radio, the knobs didn't work at all.

I called the dealership and was told to shut the car off and lock the doors for 10 minutes and it will unfreeze.
That is crazy! This is a new car!!!
I was a bit heartened to hear that there is a Subaru software update that might help.
Anybody know the "lemon" policy or are all the subaru cars with Car Play behaving this badly?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Just got the 2019 Subary Forester a couple of months ago and it was fine until today.
Today it froze for the first time.
I could NOT lower the radio or turn off the radio, the knobs didn't work at all.

I called the dealership and was told to shut the car off and lock the doors for 10 minutes and it will unfreeze.
That is crazy! This is a new car!!!
I was a bit heartened to hear that there is a Subaru software update that might help.
Anybody know the "lemon" policy or are all the subaru cars with Car Play behaving this badly?
I'm not sure if you are aware, but this isn't the Forester forum. That's at:
https://subaruforester.org/

That aside, you already noted there's an update that addresses compatibility issues with Apple's ever changing Carplay. So, why do you think any lemon law would come into play?

Alas, I don't know why Apple has such variations to how Carplay works, but reading the related forums will give you an idea of what people go through.

When Carplay or Android Auto don't let go of their audio connection, the volume freezes. Restarting the radio will resolve that. Press and hold the power button for at least 11 seconds until the logo re-appears.

For more specific help, suggestions and advice, perhaps you may wish to post in the Forester forums.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts