Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance premium went up $200 dollar on Geico policy . Limited package 23 . Had to switch company now I’m paying the same as I was on my pilot. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
I had an increase as well. Less than $100/6mo but noticeable. I kind of expected it because the Ascent is much nicer than the previous vehicle but I was hoping the safety features would’ve offset it a bit more.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Regardless of the cost, here in Denver we have 5 insurance companies I would definitely not use - poor claim service and limited coverage on home insurance (actual cash value rather than the preferred replacement cost coverage). Some insurance companies are switching customers over to ACV plans without specifically telling them other than in the fine print on the renewal.

Those five in no particular order: Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, American Family, and Fred Loya.

Also, shop for insurance coverage every two or three years. There is NO advantage to staying with a company for many years - their rates will always creep up and the coverage may even be less.

I switched from Safeco (was with them for over 10 years) to Travelers and saved $3,500/yr on premiums for 5 vehicles/1 home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
New Ascent is CWP Touring, I previously had an 08 Buick Enclave, net increase was $72. Auto-Owners had it as an Outback on my paperwork, they new it was wrong, but said as long as the VIN is correct thats all that matters. It had all kinds of little discounts for all the safety features.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Mine went up can't remember how much but I was going from a 13 year old car worth nearly nothing (2,500) to a brand new car but I remember not being to worried about the change.

The way I view it yes the new car has the features to prevent accidents but my old car would have been totaled and they would have paid me little.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was with Geico, and my premium went up by $48 per month when adding the Ascent. Switched to Progressive and saved $190 per month from what I was paying on our cars before the Ascent. Mad at myself that I kept Geico so long, but happy with the new savings. Morale of the story, shop around every few years!

·
Registered
240 Posts
My premium with GEICO went up over $200/6 months also. Glad to hear its not just me.

Like others... I believe I will shop it around. Considering all of the additional safety features, that increase is ridiculous.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was with Geico, and my premium went up by $48 per month when adding the Ascent. Switched to Progressive and saved $190 per month from what I was paying on our cars before the Ascent. Mad at myself that I kept Geico so long, but happy with the new savings. Morale of the story, shop around every few years!
I replaced a 2015 Rogue SV with an Ascent Limited with op 23 & Geico increase was $30+/month. We switched to Progressive as well & saved $200/6 month policy. Esurance was similar price as Progressive so if we need to switch again they’ll be the first one I get a quote from.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So, I just called GEICO to get some more information. My mother worked for an insurance agent when I was a kid, so I knew some of the lingo they'd probably throw at me, and I have a feeling that what they told me is probably 100% correct.

Basically, the Ascent is such a new vehicle that they don't have enough data to properly "rate" it yet. These are rating that generally come in over a period of time from multiple 3rd parties, and it takes time to gather that data and properly rate the vehicles. For example, the IIHS Safety Ratings were just published in the last couple of weeks. I imagine that could potentially affect the vehicle's rating.

What I'm guessing happened (and this is speculation on my part) is that, in the absence of all of the necessary data, each insurance company probably chooses a similar vehicle to base its information on. That would explain why @Stubaru said "Auto-Owners had it as an Outback on my paperwork, they new it was wrong, but said as long as the VIN is correct thats all that matters.". Maybe Auto-Owners rated it similar to an Outback, while GEICO rated it similar to a higher-end vehicle? Who knows for sure.

Its entirely possible that within 6 months, GEICO's rate on the Ascent will come down, while everyone else's goes up. IN the meantime though... I think I'm switching to Progressive, which will save me about $300/year on my 2 cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I just called GEICO to get some more information. My mother worked for an insurance agent when I was a kid, so I knew some of the lingo they'd probably throw at me, and I have a feeling that what they told me is probably 100% correct.

Basically, the Ascent is such a new vehicle that they don't have enough data to properly "rate" it yet. These are rating that generally come in over a period of time from multiple 3rd parties, and it takes time to gather that data and properly rate the vehicles. For example, the IIHS Safety Ratings were just published in the last couple of weeks. I imagine that could potentially affect the vehicle's rating.

What I'm guessing happened (and this is speculation on my part) is that, in the absence of all of the necessary data, each insurance company probably chooses a similar vehicle to base its information on. That would explain why @Stubaru said "Auto-Owners had it as an Outback on my paperwork, they new it was wrong, but said as long as the VIN is correct thats all that matters.". Maybe Auto-Owners rated it similar to an Outback, while GEICO rated it similar to a higher-end vehicle? Who knows for sure.

Its entirely possible that within 6 months, GEICO's rate on the Ascent will come down, while everyone else's goes up. IN the meantime though... I think I'm switching to Progressive, which will save me about $300/year on my 2 cars.
Yeah our geico insurance went up an outrageous amount when I quoted for the Ascent. I was shocked! I had a feeling it was because they hadn’t discounted the Subaru yet for safety features etc. USAA is already discounting it and quoted my $110 cheaper a month for way better coverage. So I’m definitely switching. Geico needs to get on it because they are going to lose a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts