Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the strangest issue so far!

So I bought my Ascent Limited last Nov from a dealership in California and also bought the maintenance plan along with it. Fast forward 6 months, time for my 6K Mile first service, booked an appointment with another dealership in my backyard. I turn up at the dealership and as part of the checkin process, they verified my name and I get the biggest shock! Subaru system has somebody else listed as the owner for my VIN number! Everything else in the system is correct: the model, the make, the date sold, the dealer that sold and even the sales agent name but their records indicate they sold it to somebody else in Georgia! Yes the other end of the country! After double and triple checking the VIN number and talks with their manager, they said they cannot honor the prepaid maintenance plan as it is under a different owner's name, but they will be able to still honor my service appointment if I pay for it. Else I had to get the owner name corrected and then come back in for the servicing.
I abandon my appointment and get in touch with the dealership that sold me my car. After about an hour they call me back and say that they don't know how the owner information is incorrect. They also tell me that some other dealership might have entered a VIN number incorrect and put in the wrong owner information. To rectify the issue they have to contact Subaru of America. I argued how is it possible for another dealership to enter or change the owner info when you are not able to update the owner info right now on the file! To which they gave me some weird explanation. So right now, they are getting in touch with Subaru of America to get everything sorted out. Its been 2 days since they said that and I am still waiting for an update.
In the meanwhile I contacted Subaru of America myself and wrote to them about the issue. Yet to hear back from them too.

I am worried that any communication that was intended to be sent to me, might have been sent to the incorrect owner. Should I be worried about anything else?

I already checked for any pending recalls on my VIN and found none.

I somehow don't have a good feeling about this whole thing and worried there is something else underneath the mess.

·
Registered
965 Posts

I abandon my appointment and get in touch with the dealership that sold me my car. After about an hour they call me back and say that they don't know how the owner information is incorrect. They also tell me that some other dealership might have entered a VIN number incorrect and put in the wrong owner information. To rectify the issue they have to contact Subaru of America.

I am worried that any communication that was intended to be sent to me, might have been sent to the incorrect owner. Should I be worried about anything else?

I somehow don't have a good feeling about this whole thing and worried there is something else underneath the mess.
Here's what happens when a vehicle is sold. You buy the vehicle, you're a happy person, you drive away. Finance sends the paperwork through in your name, so you're making payments for the proper vehicle.

Then whenever they get around to it (typically once or twice per week), the new car manager(s) at the dealership where you purchased the vehicle RDR the vehicle. (That means Report Delivered.) That has NOTHING to do with the finance portion, but everything with how the salesman gets paid his Subaru bonus money for selling you the car (which is typically $100, if he meets all other qualifications) plus the VERY small bonus he gets for selling you upgraded Starlink Safety and Security. ($5 - $25, seriously not much.)

The manager(s) have to record the name and VIN number correctly for the Subaru Added Security and/or free maintenance. So no, no other dealership messed up, their manager did. Yes, they have to contact SOA. It's actually a fairly easy fix - if they do it. You have to stay on them about it. And it's also something that DOES happen more often than you'd think - heck, everyone knows what I do for a living and it happened to ME. Went in for my six months free service on my Forester, it wasn't recorded.

The fun is when the VIN on the vehicles don't match. Is the actual VIN on the car that you're driving the VIN on all of your paperwork? If so, life is good. If not ... you're in for some fun times, and a dealership is in for a LOT of legal liabilities. There's a reason why we have a VIN verification form, where I have to write down the VIN off the car - paperwork DOES get messed up at times.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

So I bought my Ascent Limited last Nov from a dealership in California and also bought the maintenance plan along with it. Fast forward 6 months, time for my 6K Mile first service, booked an appointment with another dealership in my backyard. I turn up at the dealership and as part of the checkin process, they verified my name and I get the biggest shock! Subaru system has somebody else listed as the owner for my VIN number! Everything else in the system is correct: the model, the make, the date sold, the dealer that sold and even the sales agent name but their records indicate they sold it to somebody else in Georgia! Yes the other end of the country! After double and triple checking the VIN number and talks with their manager, they said they cannot honor the prepaid maintenance plan as it is under a different owner's name, but they will be able to still honor my service appointment if I pay for it. Else I had to get the owner name corrected and then come back in for the servicing.
I abandon my appointment and get in touch with the dealership that sold me my car. After about an hour they call me back and say that they don't know how the owner information is incorrect. They also tell me that some other dealership might have entered a VIN number incorrect and put in the wrong owner information. To rectify the issue they have to contact Subaru of America. I argued how is it possible for another dealership to enter or change the owner info when you are not able to update the owner info right now on the file! To which they gave me some weird explanation. So right now, they are getting in touch with Subaru of America to get everything sorted out. Its been 2 days since they said that and I am still waiting for an update.
In the meanwhile I contacted Subaru of America myself and wrote to them about the issue. Yet to hear back from them too.

LMAO ... I'm not sure if you were conscious of the situation but maybe you're being nice and polite to that stranger, or perhaps you didn't communicate (negotiate) effectively. That dealership, where you bought it from, screwed up and they're accountable to resolve the issue. It's simple - push back at them!!! So chill-out w/ contacting SOA, let the dealer take care of it.

Even though changing the name possibly be a lengthy process but it's an easy problem for the dealer to take care: change the records to reflect the purchase order. Obviously it's gonna be easier for the dealer to make the correction than you because they practice that process daily.

I got mine since december 2018 and no recall/TSB mail yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @Carl Abrams for laying out the sale process. Of course my first thought is that the dealership messed up with the records keeping. However on second thoughts I wonder how can they put in the address of a person who lives across on the other end of the country! I mean that doesn't make sense.

The other thing I am guessing is probably this car, was pre ordered by the other person but he backed out of it and the car ended up in a dealership in California and when I bought it, they forgot to update the owner info.

I am not sure thought what is the case exactly.

@Trey T: Well, I am not being any nice to them, I can tell you that. The reason I am contacting SOA by myself is not just to resolve the issue, but to hear from them as to who screwed up? Else I will just have to listen to what the dealership tells me. I also have the entire record printed out with me to prove they screwed up with the records.

Well 3 days until now and still waiting for an update.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Of course my first thought is that the dealership messed up with the records keeping. However on second thoughts I wonder how can they put in the address of a person who lives across on the other end of the country! I mean that doesn't make sense.
Simple when you think about it. The other person was also a customer at their dealership, was in the military, and had a home of record in another state. If you're in the military, you are NOT required to get a new driver's license just because you move from one state to another.

The sales manager has to enter (RDR) the information manually from a printed out spreadsheet that has the customer information on it. He screwed up - and so did the salesman, who should have been looking at the sold numbers punched (another term for RDR) by the manager to make sure he got credit for the sale. I look at our sales punches every day, because my bonus money depends upon it being entered correctly.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I've owned two Subies (my Ascent being the second). Neither was bought in my home state. The dealership I use has people who've traveled hundreds of miles to buy from them, so, their sales span many states.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.