Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
why doesn't the vehicle health status report include battery health or charging system?
Probably because that would require a proper load test - it's not practical. You can see your battery's voltage in the secret menu on the head unit, but that only tells part of the story. Somebody will chime in with how to get to the secret menu. I think it's hold down the power button and toggle the home button twice (or something like that).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Probably because that would require a proper load test - it's not practical. You can see your battery's voltage in the secret menu on the head unit, but that only tells part of the story. Somebody will chime in with how to get to the secret menu. I think it's hold down the power button and toggle the home button twice (or something like that).
Hold the Home button and double click the tuning knob.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's not practical for the vehicle to tell the mothership that the battery voltage at key on, engine off is 11.8? I had to drive the vehicle to the dealership for them to verify what I saw on my own multimeter... That does not require a load test.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
it's not practical for the vehicle to tell the mothership that the battery voltage at key on, engine off is 11.8? I had to drive the vehicle to the dealership for them to verify what I saw on my own multimeter... That does not require a load test.
You asked for battery health, not an instantaneous voltage reading.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would find a Starlink instantaneous voltage readout useful as I often check it in the secret menu anyway. It's particularly useful before I start the engine in the morning, because the static-off vehicle serves as a bit of an overnight load (unfortunately). If my voltage is significantly below 12.0v (say, mid 11's), I know my battery is having problems.

BUT Starlink would need some adjustments to give me this reading remotely, as it seems to pick off a moment of time right before (or maybe right after) I shut off the car at the end of the last drive. That would yield a charging or charged battery voltage - not so useful, except maybe to catch a bad alternator.

However, if I got what I wanted and they changed Starlink and the vehicle to give me a reading after sitting overnight while still off, that would just add to the overnight load that I worry about above.

So I should be careful what I ask for. (Or understand that I ask for it with no penalty. But that would make me unreasonable.) Yeah, I think I'm ok with my multimeter, or even better, with the secret menu.

F.S.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Battery health is partially determined by voltage reading.

Thanks, have a good day!
...which is exaclty what I covered in my first response to your initial post. To quote myself, "You can see your battery's voltage in the secret menu on the head unit, but that only tells part of the story."

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, thanks.

I don't see how or why I "need to access a secret menu" to get information that is highly diagnostic, useful, and subsequently hidden to the user...when there could be a section of the vehicle health report that at-least references it or gives that information to the dealership when they get it.

Knowing part of the story in diagnostics is better than knowing none of it.

FirstSubie's reply referencing "maybe catching a bad alternator" is case in point.

Thanks! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts