Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
The resistor is actually mounted to the metal bracket. I have read that they run hot, but my blinkers are rarely on for longer than 30secs. Usually it's just for a lane change so I am not too worried. Search ebay for item number 302230890623. They come in smoke as well, but I wanted the safety over the looks.....one of the few times ever.
Thanks for sharing this!! I like the idea and I'm pondering how I could (cleanly) use the 4 wire trailer plug to power these as an alternative to wiring into the brake lights directly..... hmmmmm

·
Registered
641 Posts
Keep in mind if you’re stuck and need to use your flashers for an extended time (10m+) ya better have thought through resistor placement. Why take the chance? Don’t half-arse the install. It’s not just about a 1-2m turn lane.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One thing that I like about the factory hitch is that it sits high at bumper level. Some aftermarket hitches sit way low. This is nice for when I mount my old 4-bike tray rack, it allows the bike wheels to be high and away from the exhaust. This is especially good for carbon wheels and reducing the chances they would melt from the heat. The downside to this setup is that the bikes tend to block, obscure or whatever you want to call it the lights on the Ascent. This includes the upper brake light, and rear signals. With 4-bikes hanging 3' off the end of the vehicle, it can create an unsafe situation. I wanted to change this.

So today I upgraded the rear lights. Using the forums, I added LED Amber turn indicators and resistors to eliminate the hyper-flashing. I also added LED rear backup bulb. These were the cheap bulbs on Amazon. To help with brake intentions, I was pointed to a Facebook thread by Ryan Tabata. This thread showed how the bumper reflectors could be LED lights. So I ordered and installed them, too.

Here are some poor quality pics of the install and finished product. I will take pics next week for how it looks with the bikes. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I may look into trailer lights.

resistor mount to housing Splices behind housing
View attachment 1187 View attachment 1188 View attachment 1189

finished working lights
View attachment 1190

And no, my battery didn't die form having the gate open.....
Off topic. What chemical do you use on your bumper? Looks real nice in the picture.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The bumper lights come in a few other options. Rather than just running/brake lights, they also offer a version with turn signals and back up lights built in. The one with back up lights is a white/clear lens and there are white LED's for reverse, yellow for turn signal and red for brake and running lights. There's a smoke version that blends into the bumper, making them near invisible when not lit up. Check eBay and do the search. Look for the general shape of the light to get the right one for the Ascent. One shape covers most models of Subaru.
Here's a white one with reverse, stop and running lights;
White/Clear lens version

Smoke lens version;
Smoke

One of the listings says this is a replacement for;
  • Exact fit and direct replacement, Replacing OEM part# SU1185100 SU1184100 for 1 pair foglight
  • Exact fit and direct replacement, Replacing OEM part 84913FG420 for 1pc tail lamp
Quick note;
You do not need to route the wires all the way up to the factory lights. Just tap into the trailer wiring lights. There's wires for all your lighting needs right there, much closer I would think. Also, by tapping into the trailer wiring, your brake lights will also work as turn signals. (4-wire plug tap)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
@SkiPro3 i'm going to need you to stop posting links. I've already spent enough money this holiday period 😂
now back to reality, thank you for adding them. I was going to search anyway. I think i'm going to do the smoke as turn signals...after the holidays

·
Registered
335 Posts
@SkiPro3 i'm going to need you to stop posting links. I've already spent enough money this holiday period 😂
now back to reality, thank you for adding them. I was going to search anyway. I think i'm going to do the smoke as turn signals...after the holidays
I'm very good at helping others spend their money. I have a buddy that helps me spend mine on RC Rock crawler trucks. My greatest fear is my wife will find out what I really paid and not what I tell her I paid for this hobby. Ha!
RC crawlers

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here’s a link:
Just ordered 2 sets (F/R). 20% off.
Gonna be awesome. I’ll take some install pics/DIY.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here’s a link:
Just ordered 2 sets (F/R). 20% off.
Gonna be awesome. I’ll take some install pics/DIY.
These Tritons are what I bought a year ago. They're super bright. The front fit fine, but for the back you may have to do some modification to the Triton's heatsink to fit the socket holes (or to the socket holes themselves). I ended up putting that 2nd pair in my RSX and ordered the VLED non-Triton 7443 for the Ascent's rear signals just to save the hassle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also, if you use their VLR resistors on the Ascent, you only need 2. There's plenty of room in the engine compartment to mount them for the front signals, no need on the back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
^^ Good tips, thanks.
Yeah the rears are not exactly 744x.
Interesting about only one resistor per side..

So were the non-Tritons bright enough for you?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes even their next best non-Triton amber are blindingly bright for a signal light. My Ascent is fully VLED LEDs inside and out, other than the built-in LEDs and the rear gate LED from Subispeed.

·
Registered
2020 Suburu Ascent
5 Posts
Yup. The reflectors are the same size. The wiring length is just enough for the Ascent the way I routed it. I did have to notch out a small bit of the bumper so that the wiring would clear and the light would snap in firmly. No big deal.
Looks like you have the trailer hitch. Did you consider wiring the bumper reflector lights to the trailer wiring harness?

·
Registered
2020 Suburu Ascent
5 Posts
About to do a full VLEDS install on the Ascent. Just did my entire XTerra and it looks awesome. VLEDS is high quality stuff.
What did you order for turn signals? Wondering if the $175 v6 extremes that have the built in resistor are worth it and work without mods.

·
Registered
2020 Suburu Ascent
5 Posts
Also, if you use their VLR resistors on the Ascent, you only need 2. There's plenty of room in the engine compartment to mount them for the front signals, no need on the back.
Hmm.... only one set of resistors needed? That is really helpful, especially if there is available metal in the front. Cuts the cost by a lot.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts