Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I like about the factory hitch is that it sits high at bumper level. Some aftermarket hitches sit way low. This is nice for when I mount my old 4-bike tray rack, it allows the bike wheels to be high and away from the exhaust. This is especially good for carbon wheels and reducing the chances they would melt from the heat. The downside to this setup is that the bikes tend to block, obscure or whatever you want to call it the lights on the Ascent. This includes the upper brake light, and rear signals. With 4-bikes hanging 3' off the end of the vehicle, it can create an unsafe situation. I wanted to change this.

So today I upgraded the rear lights. Using the forums, I added LED Amber turn indicators and resistors to eliminate the hyper-flashing. I also added LED rear backup bulb. These were the cheap bulbs on Amazon. To help with brake intentions, I was pointed to a Facebook thread by Ryan Tabata. This thread showed how the bumper reflectors could be LED lights. So I ordered and installed them, too.

Here are some poor quality pics of the install and finished product. I will take pics next week for how it looks with the bikes. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I may look into trailer lights.

resistor mount to housing Splices behind housing

finished working lights

And no, my battery didn't die form having the gate open.....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Those resistors can get pretty hot. It’s best to mount them to a metal surface. As long as you don’t sit with your blinkers on for an extended period of time the plastic should be fine though.
I had not heard of the rear bumper reflector light thing. Can you post a link to what you purchased?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those resistors can get pretty hot. It’s best to mount them to a metal surface. As long as you don’t sit with your blinkers on for an extended period of time the plastic should be fine though.
I had not heard of the rear bumper reflector light thing. Can you post a link to what you purchased?
The resistor is actually mounted to the metal bracket. I have read that they run hot, but my blinkers are rarely on for longer than 30secs. Usually it's just for a lane change so I am not too worried. Search ebay for item number 302230890623. They come in smoke as well, but I wanted the safety over the looks.....one of the few times ever.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for the item number. I’m going to have to alternate cars each paycheck to keep up with these little projects!
I did a quick feel test when I used those resistors on my last car by just leaving the blinkers on while I worked on the other side. They did get way too hot to touch after a few minutes. I started using vlr-6 resistors from vleds.com in my Ascent.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won’t let me edit... just wanted to be sure the WRX ones do fit the Ascent?
Yup. The reflectors are the same size. The wiring length is just enough for the Ascent the way I routed it. I did have to notch out a small bit of the bumper so that the wiring would clear and the light would snap in firmly. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I was just thinking the tail as turn mod would make them even better. I haven’t heard of anyone doing it on their Ascent yet though

·
Registered
19 Posts
The resistor is actually mounted to the metal bracket. I have read that they run hot, but my blinkers are rarely on for longer than 30secs. Usually it's just for a lane change so I am not too worried. Search ebay for item number 302230890623. They come in smoke as well, but I wanted the safety over the looks.....one of the few times ever.
Any pictures of how you routed the wires for the reflector lights??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any pictures of how you routed the wires for the reflector lights??
Straight up and behind the plastic covers for the tail lights. Nothing fancy. The wires are just long enough if you do this. I dropped a plastic stick from above to fish the wires. That way I didn't have to remove the bumper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Straight up and behind the plastic covers for the tail lights. Nothing fancy. The wires are just long enough if you do this. I dropped a plastic stick from above to fish the wires. That way I didn't have to remove the bumper.
Just got the lights in the mail today just want to clarify the wiring in the picture above
Led reflector To Tail light harness
White wire To Red wire
Red wire To Yellow wire
Black wire To Black wire
Does this look correct?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the lights in the mail today just want to clarify the wiring in the picture above
Led reflector To Tail light harness
White wire To Red wire
Red wire To Yellow wire
Black wire To Black wire
Does this look correct?
yup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the item number. I’m going to have to alternate cars each paycheck to keep up with these little projects!
I did a quick feel test when I used those resistors on my last car by just leaving the blinkers on while I worked on the other side. They did get way too hot to touch after a few minutes. I started using vlr-6 resistors from vleds.com in my Ascent.
Where did you find room for the vlr-6 for the rears? The box is pretty large and I am not sure how you fit it behind the plastic housing of the turn signal.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Where did you find room for the vlr-6 for the rears?
There’s a decent gap between the light housing and the body. The adhesive side is stuck up against the body with the wire pointing aft if I recalI correctly. I can’t get a pic till Wednesday but I’ll put one up then.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There’s a decent gap between the light housing and the body. The adhesive side is stuck up against the body with the wire pointing aft if I recalI correctly. I can’t get a pic till Wednesday but I’ll put one up then.
Sounds like my setup. I had pictures posted here, but I'm sure they've gone missing like a lot of the older images that people uploaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you end up having to put a resistor on every turn signal bulb? I thought I read somewhere that some people only had to install one resistor per side. (Or maybe it was they only got hyperblink when the changed out the bulbs on the front and back, but didn't get the hyper-blink if they only changed out the front)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Did you end up having to put a resistor on every turn signal bulb?
I did do my rears first and (it’s been since Jan 2019) if I recall I did get hyper flashing when I put the LED’s in the front, before installing the resistors. So I do have resistors on all 4 corners.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts