Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone just happens to be taking apart their center console and have the illuminated cup holders, do you think that getting a picture of the wiring would be possible? I have a premium and ordered a few parts to convert mine, though I have nothing to connect the actual lamps to, and imagine there is a harness I am missing. There are a couple of harnesses available through subaru parts, though I have no idea of what they are for and everything is very vague.

Or if someone has done this to a premium and knows what exactly I need.

Thanks in advance!!

John C.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I don't have the part number for you, but any parts department can drill down to it. It's marked FIG 830 in this diagram. It plugs in up front near the cigarette lighter (perhaps into that harness), and has two little connectors for the tiny bulbs that light up the cup holder. The fourth connector (near screw 2) goes to the back for the light in the rear of the center console.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I saw that, but you know where it plugs in, I wasn't sure if that was for the rear usb's and power connector in the back of the console...That's what I needed!!

Too bad we can't find it online..:( I'll check at my local subaru..

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Also by meaning the rear of the console, you mean the heating and cooling panel for the second row?
Yes. On the Touring, it has a footwell illumination bulb for the center of the 2nd row floor.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I am working on getting you all a part number for the harness. I will let you know if my parts guy gets back to me.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Thanks again Robert, we appreciate all the help, it's kind of nice you have an in with a parts guy...:)
lol, lets see how much he still likes me after all the questions I keep asking him! :ROFLMAO:

Nah, to be serious for a second, I am lucky that my two favorite dealerships, @Liberty Subaru in Emerson NJ and Competition Subaru in Smithtown NY are BOTH utterly amazing, care about their communities (and give back in the form of numerous events and charity work), take care of their customers, AND keep answering my gazillion questions when it's things beyond my access level. ;):)

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Hey all, my friends at @Liberty Subaru responded.

Hi Rob,

Pretty sure this is the part number 81870XC20A.

Big shout out to Jason for finding the number for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I ordered it a couple days ago, though they have to get it directly from subaru..I'll let ya know if it's the one, it was kind of spendy 50$ and that was the cheapest I could find it.. www.bamwholesaleparts.com , others had it for 70$..I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it looks like this harness is just for items in the console and back it plugs in around the front of the console and is wired in the box itself. I imagine its the usb ports in back, the heater control for the rear seats and such, though this harness has one small connector that would work for the lights, where it is located on the harness, it would be tucked into the back of the glove box, near the heater controls and usb I guess. The wiring is all contained within the glove box, except for the part that plugs in just in front of where the two screws that hold it in.

Robert, when you said it plugged in up front near the cigarette lighter, you must have seen this right? There is only one more wiring harness in the center console diagram, though like the others, it's very vague and the picture is not so good.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Well it looks like this harness is just for items in the console and back it plugs in around the front of the console and is wired in the box itself. I imagine its the usb ports in back, the heater control for the rear seats and such, though this harness has one small connector that would work for the lights, where it is located on the harness, it would be tucked into the back of the glove box, near the heater controls and usb I guess. The wiring is all contained within the glove box, except for the part that plugs in just in front of where the two screws that hold it in.

Robert, when you said it plugged in up front near the cigarette lighter, you must have seen this right? There is only one more wiring harness in the center console diagram, though like the others, it's very vague and the picture is not so good.
I've seen the related diagram and some poor pics when I helped someone else find replacement parts for a damaged insert in their Touring (they tried cleaning it and broke parts trying to pull it apart), but it was a horrible view of it. Can you send me a pic of what you got? I may be able to disassemble my console this weekend to get some goods reference pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the big pics, then end of the cable with just the two connectors, the white one plugs into a harness about equal to the front of the glove box and goes towards the back, and inside the glove box itself, as you see the other connectors are all on the other end, including the small one that actually fits into one of the lights. When I checked the cable in there now, the number was the one that was being sold for the premium. I mean to make sure that's where it plugs in, and mine goes into the glove box and back usb and second row heater control.

The black connector that is on the same end as the white one, I couldn't figure it out, as there is nothing there on my premium, maybe the secondary harness plugs into this...but I have nothing next to the white connector on my premium harness.

Cable Eyewear Glasses Metal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is something to be said for that secondary black connector, as it seems to have the colors that are in the small connector that would fit the light, so I imagine there is a good chance that your harness could plug into this connector and power the cupholder lights.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Do you have rear climate control on the back of the center console? I suspect you aren't going to be using all of the connectors. Among other things back there, there's also 110V AC, dual USB, climate control and center puddle light for 2nd row on the Touring (and that's a Touring harness).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, with the two usb ports down below, but where the white main connector plugs in, the black one (The one next to the white one on the new harness) 1st picture, is only a number of inches away, so it couldn't reach anything beyond the front of the glove box. I imagine all those extra connectors on the other end would go to those items.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts