Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,385 Posts
Seems like a nice solution! Congrats.

Reactions: englishsteel

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
The Annex room is separate… but I agree… Excited to get out there for more #ascentadventures
Look, STOP with the pics!!! PLEASE!!! You're making me rethink my entire camping setup!!!! 🤣 😞 😉 😣

Seriously though, share more pics please!!!!

Do they have a floor option? What's it like in the sleeping/roof area? What's the MPG hit? Do tell!!! Please!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,500 Posts
Look, STOP with the pics!!! PLEASE!!! You're making me rethink my entire camping setup!!!! 🤣 😞 😉 😣

Do they have a floor option? What's it like in the sleeping/roof area? What's the MPG hit? Do tell!!! Please!
your not the only one playing ping pong with this choice. It would be easier if Subaru had a larger roof weight spec (I know they increased it, but it is still tight). If I go for the RTT, I will go with a hard shell for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I can fondly gaze at this contraption with safety to my wallet since I couldn't' climb up there anyway. :) :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Haha! You’ve been leading the way with your inspirational setup and adventures ;) I just want to #belikerobert I just got the tent yesterday so will update as we get some nights in it! The Annex Room is on the way and there is no floor… inside is very spacious and warmer than a conventional tent (anecdotal thoughts after hanging out watching a movie with my kids for a bit).

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! And, wow, that definitely looks bigger on the inside than I'd expected for a rooftop tent! I like the weight of it too! I was looking at another, but it was really heavy, and not any bigger than the iKamper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep going back and forth between a hard lid rtt and a flat rack or basket. What cross bars are you using? Wind noise (any tunes other than Dixie)? Mileage reduction?
Too early to tell on MPG… I’m using the “Aero extended” setup but Thule all black instead of the Subaru co-branded setup. No wind noise yesterday at highway speeds (or lower). A flat rack would add more weight to the dynamic limit… unless you dropped a Prinsu on there? I think the tent at 165-175lb (have seen various weights posted)… maxing out capacity. Will keep posting here as I have fun and learn.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,500 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! And, wow, that definitely looks bigger on the inside than I'd expected for a rooftop tent! I like the weight of it too! I was looking at another, but it was really heavy, and not any bigger than the iKamper.
Robert,

I thought you always towed your Hilton with you.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I'm not that far gone...fortunately. But I'm more inclined to stay with my mistress Marri Ott or her various cousins while traveling. LOL

In all seriousness, that rooftop setup and accessories is pretty darn kewel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, warning, dumb question coming.... Am I reading the wright limits wrong on the roof? Is the 150 lbs on stock rails for dynamic driving conditions? Or 150 per rail, then the iKamper adding 170 leaving 130 for people to sleep? I know I am missing something here. But looks really cool!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts