Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how well Ascent does on crash test ratings? Haven't been able to find the info on IIHS' site and stickers on Ascents at dealerships had 'none' or something to that effect filled-in.

I know Subaru has a stellar safety reputation, yet would've been nice to see a rating.

On a different note on IIHS' site (), Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe are TSP+ picks.:tango_face_surprise Huh! Who would've thought?

·
Registered
597 Posts
It hasn't been tested yet but they said the goal is TSP+ and Subaru wants that as it is a huge selling point. They apparently also tested rear collisions because they wanted to make sure the third row was safe. This is something that worried me in some of the other vehicles like the Mazda CX9 where someone's head is right next to the rear glass.

I have to admit I'm still getting used to the auto lane assist which can sometimes try and keep me in the center of the lane when I'm trying to move close to the outside line.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I have to admit I'm still getting used to the auto lane assist which can sometimes try and keep me in the center of the lane when I'm trying to move close to the outside line.
I'm beginning to love it, now that I am used to it and am learning how much force it takes to do what I want instead of what it's nudging me to do.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm beginning to love it, now that I am used to it and am learning how much force it takes to do what I want instead of what it's nudging me to do.
I will say that the nudge in the Ascent feels a bit more ‘noticeable’ than on previous model foresters. When on lanes with terribly painted lines I will turn it off so it’s not nudging me of beeping when I’m in a safer location than it suggests.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
184 Posts
As another post mentioned - Subaru tried to build to 'rear crash specs' and none exist. Just think about that; in anything short of a panel van the rear-most pax are the most fragile (bcuz least room) - what kinda pants-on-head nonsense yields no testing!?!?!

I'm not related to SOA in any way except as an OB and an Ascent owner - it would take a major fubar for me to not trust Ascent safety.

YMMV

·
Registered
581 Posts
I find this is only good to use on straight roads, curvy roads don't work so well and it will try to fit you , causing over correction. turn off when not on straight roads.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As another post mentioned - Subaru tried to build to 'rear crash specs' and none exist. Just think about that; in anything short of a panel van the rear-most pax are the most fragile (bcuz least room) - what kinda pants-on-head nonsense yields no testing!?!?!

I'm not related to SOA in any way except as an OB and an Ascent owner - it would take a major fubar for me to not trust Ascent safety.

YMMV
Subaru has done this for a long time. Mainly to maximize their platform life regarding future crash standards. Future ie expected crash standards aren’t secretive. Subaru did this with roof strength standards many yrs ago. 3rd row crash safety will essentially face the same review regarding passenger area staying intact, passengers being protected from hitting hard points and curtain air bags preventing ejection etc.

One rear ender crash factor is increasing the chances of the rear ender going under the back of the Ascent vs through the back etc. granted you get hit by a truck its a different deal.

·
Registered
184 Posts

YMMV
Subaru has done this for a long time. Mainly to maximize their platform life regarding future crash standards. Future ie expected crash standards aren’t secretive. Subaru did this with roof strength standards many yrs ago. 3rd row crash safety will essentially face the same review regarding passenger area staying intact, passengers being protected from hitting hard points and curtain air bags preventing ejection etc.

One rear ender crash factor is increasing the chances of the rear ender going under the back of the Ascent vs through the back etc. granted you get hit by a truck its a different deal.
Good to know. Thx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It hasn't been tested yet but they said the goal is TSP+ and Subaru wants that as it is a huge selling point. They apparently also tested rear collisions because they wanted to make sure the third row was safe. This is something that worried me in some of the other vehicles like the Mazda CX9 where someone's head is right next to the rear glass.

Do you mean to say that the eyesight system is literally forcing the car toward the center line when you're driving safely within the lane? I have to say if that is the case, I will just turn it off. I prefer to drive close to the shoulder fog line, and the idea that the eyesight system is overriding generally safe driving which requires the driver to wrestle control from it seems dangerous frankly.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Do you mean to say that the eyesight system is literally forcing the car toward the center line when you're driving safely within the lane? I have to say if that is the case, I will just turn it off. I prefer to drive close to the shoulder fog line, and the idea that the eyesight system is overriding generally safe driving which requires the driver to wrestle control from it seems dangerous frankly.
Well I haven't verified how close I get before it pulls back to the center but I'm hoping to do that soon.

I also think that you can adjust the sensitivity of the cameras but I haven't looked into it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
In a situation like you're describing, it's the Lane Keep function of the Eyesight system that would potentially move you over slightly. You're ALWAYS in charge of whether that's on or not, it's on the thumb control on the right side of your steering wheel.

People are using the generic Eyesight label - which is primarily designed for collision avoidance - to describe the individual components of the system and it's a bit misleading.

The WHOLE Eyesight system is for:
1: Collision Avoidance - this is the primary duty of the system. It's on when you start the car and you have to consciously turn it off.
2: Adaptive Cruise Control - you're in charge of whether that's on or not, and it does the description
3: Lane Monitoring / Lane Sway - are you crossing over the lines without signalling or 'ping-ponging' because you're sleepy? This is to alert you.
4: Lane Keep - you're in charge of whether it's on or not, and it does it's description - if you're going to inadvertently cross a line, it will gently nudge you back into your lane
5: Throttle Management - help cut the throttle to keep you from running into a wall when you accidentally put it in drive instead of reverse

Hugging the right side fog line is a learned behavior because we can adjust our right side mirror to see it and know where you are in the lane. I learned how to do this as well when growing up, and it was very convenient when pulling a trailer because it was wider than my truck.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I've found my Lane Keep Assist is fine with me hugging a lane line, as long as I don't drive AT the line and adjust. If I do that, it's a bit more aggressive.

I also find that if I use the system as intended, I do not pinball. It is not designed to drive the car. The driver NOT trying to steer (and relying on it to steer instead) will cause it to pull you back into a lane (or back towards center if it thinks you're going to cross a line) and then do the same thing on the other side of the lane. That's not a flaw in the system - it's a flaw in the driver. :tango_face_wink:

On the other hand, if you participate in the driving, it will smoothly assist you in staying in your lane on straightaways and in curves.

And believe me, as any of you who've driven on Long Island and NYC parkways can attest to, I know quite a lot about driving around senseless, dangerous, misplaced curves (Southern and Northern State Parkways) with lanes that continuously change widths to the point where there's only inches from wheel to line on either side (Ocean Parkway, anyone?) or lanes that are soooo narrow that your mirrors WILL be hanging over a line, no matter what you do (northern section of the Bronx River Parkway).

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
931 Posts
I emailed them a month or two ago after the cars started being delivered, and it sounded like they were trying to get something posted by August/September. They are exceptionally thorough, which I appreciate...
@Robert.Mauro -

I'm unfamiliar with LKA - I imagine that if you use your turn signals there's no impact to LKA, but if you are one of those drivers that doesn't like to give away your move, LKA will make you apply more effort into changing lanes, right?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I emailed them a month or two ago after the cars started being delivered, and it sounded like they were trying to get something posted by August/September. They are exceptionally thorough, which I appreciate...

@Robert.Mauro -

I'm unfamiliar with LKA - I imagine that if you use your turn signals there's no impact to LKA, but if you are one of those drivers that doesn't like to give away your move, LKA will make you apply more effort into changing lanes, right?
No, not really. It may seem that way though. LKA applies about the same force - enough to get the job done if you're not applying counter force. I have, on multiple occasions, at the dead of night on a totally empty road, not signaled and changed lanes - it's very easy to overcome LKA, even in those instances.

And as you guessed, using either signal turns off LKA until a few moments after you've turned the signal off.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm wondering if they got one of the bad weld cars and have to wait for another car? They just published the 19 RDX results

1 - 20 of 103 Posts