Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting to pick a 2021 Ascent Limited next weekend. I imagine that I'll eventually get an OEM hitch installed for a hitch-mounted bike rack, but for now, I have a RockyMounts Tomahawk (universal fit) for the roof.

I will want to add a cargo box soon for extra storage on long trips as well, so ideally, I'd like to fit a box + a single bike on the roof for right now.

Budget, bang-for-buck, aesthetics (I lean toward a more rugged look), noise, security, and gas mileage are all factors. What would you do?

Are OEM Aero bars enough (do not lock but hard to remove w/ star wrench)? Should I make the leap to Subaru-sold Thule Aero Extended bars (for width and lock)? Another option?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would still go with what I have now. Yakima Jetstream set up as the base and build from there. Without anything connected to them they are quiet enough. I wouldn't buy directly from Subaru for Thule products. I would wait for a Yakima or Thule sale at your local REI (outdoor shop) or bike shop to save some bucks. We use a Thule box (the Ascent model) that is 11 years old already. For bike trays, the Yakima ones we have are nice, I have 3 older tray types and one of the newest ones. All are the non take off the wheel type. I am curious about the 1Ups but not enough to replace anything. I would probably also look at the hitch versions from 1Up if I had to do it all over again. However, our Yakima Holdup hitch rack has been great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would still go with what I have now. Yakima Jetstream set up as the base and build from there. Without anything connected to them they are quiet enough. I wouldn't buy directly from Subaru for Thule products. I would wait for a Yakima or Thule sale at your local REI (outdoor shop) or bike shop to save some bucks. We use a Thule box (the Ascent model) that is 11 years old already. For bike trays, the Yakima ones we have are nice, I have 3 older tray types and one of the newest ones. All are the non take off the wheel type. I am curious about the 1Ups but not enough to replace anything. I would probably also look at the hitch versions from 1Up if I had to do it all over again. However, our Yakima Holdup hitch rack has been great.
Thanks! What size Jetstreams do you have?

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Oem aero bars can fit this rather large box + a kayak. However, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s nearly impossible to get into the box without removing the yak and difficult to get the yak on with the box attached. I only did it to move from one house to the next. Sorry, no pics of both attached...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oem aero bars can fit this rather large box + a kayak. However, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s nearly impossible to get into the box without removing the yak and difficult to get the yak on with the box attached. I only did it to move from one house to the next. Sorry, no pics of both attached...
Looks great xydadx3 ! To the OP, one benefit of going with longer crossbars is you have more flexibility. A camping trip with the bikes we generally will have the box off to one side of the crossbar and a bike tray on the other side. With the Yakima or Thule T-slots, I can maximize the space even more if the products I attach uses the T-slot system. I can probably install a shade system with just the medium length. I also can go longer or even heavy duty with the newest crossbars from Yakima.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. Right now, I'm leaning toward Subaru-sold Thule Aero Extended bars, but they are quite a price leap from the OEM Aero bars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Yakima Rocket Box that will fit alongside my Yakima 1 bike roof tray. Access into the box is a little limited. I also have a Rhino Rack Xtray basket that mounts 2 thru axle bikes. If I need to weatherproof gear on that setup I'll get a big duffel. Either of these setups fit on the OEM aero bars. Bonus with the XTray is that the basket blocks access to the roof bar bolts for those worried about security.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run a box with 2 bike trays one Thule 53 inch aero bars. Wouldn’t change anything. These are the same bars as Subaru Thule version. Get whichever can be best price if you go that route.

Some past discussions here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run a box with 2 bike trays one Thule 53 inch aero bars. Wouldn’t change anything. These are the same bars as Subaru Thule version. Get whichever can be best price if you go that route.

Some past discussions here.

Thank you! It was my assumption that the Subaru Extended Aero bars work with the factory rails. Do these as well, or do you have to buy Thule feet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
This Subaru part is an exact Thule parts kit. Towers and bars. Towers are Thule crossroads.

I have the evo towers with older aero bars. if I bought today I would get the EVO version of the wing bars to avoid cutting the t slot filler when mounting accessories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This Subaru part is an exact Thule parts kit. Towers and bars. Towers are Thule crossroads.

I have the evo towers with older aero bars. if I bought today I would get the EVO version of the wing bars to avoid cutting the t slot filler when mounting accessories.
also have found great deals on subarusource.com. i believe it's a subaru dealership in Norfolk, VA area

2014-2021 Subaru Extended Cross Bar Set Aero SOA567X010 | The Subaru Source

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can highly recommend my Yakima set-up which is really flexible - as others have noted, a longer crossbar allows you to shift mounts outward to fit more on the rack as shown in the attached pic. I picked up the Skybox 12 cargo box which is longer and skinnier - allows me to fit a surfboard or SUP at the same time. Got all of these from REI during one of their regular 20% off sales - totally the way to go especially if you also have an REI credit card for even more $ back.

• Yakima Timberline Towers
  • Yakima 60" JetStream Bars
  • Yakima Skybox 12 Carbonite
  • Yakima SUPDawg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks! I have found them for as low as $386, but shipping always pushes them over $400.
I got them for under $400. Not sure about current pricing though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can highly recommend my Yakima set-up which is really flexible - as others have noted, a longer crossbar allows you to shift mounts outward to fit more on the rack as shown in the attached pic. I picked up the Skybox 12 cargo box which is longer and skinnier - allows me to fit a surfboard or SUP at the same time. Got all of these from REI during one of their regular 20% off sales - totally the way to go especially if you also have an REI credit card for even more $ back.

• Yakima Timberline Towers
  • Yakima 60" JetStream Bars
  • Yakima Skybox 12 Carbonite
  • Yakima SUPDawg

View attachment 11452
Looks sweet! Now you have me second-guessing the Subaru Extended Bars from Thule.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, all! Just nabbed 4 Yakima Timberline towers in excellent condition for $100 on FB Marketplace.

Reactions: JoeyBear

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
367 Posts
I've been following this, and looking at the Yakima and Thule websites (and REI). I think I'm leaning towards the Yakima Skybox 12 with the Jetstream bars, although it kind of looks like every place everywhere is out of stock when it comes to so many of these kinds of things. I'm assuming Covid is to blame?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts