Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I was hoping i could get some input on what y'all think about the trim level you bought. I was looking at the touring model, and I absolutely loved it. I wanted to give myself some more time to research before jumping in to see if the touring model was worth the extra money. I also looked for a white premium model, with the panoramic room and captains seats, but a cloth interior. I think i could live without the leather seats and the heated and cooled aspects but would still love to have the safety features. like blind spot, lane assist. I was just wondering if you thought the amount you get for paying $7-10,000 more was a sound decision. the reason i ask because the monthly payment for touring would make my budget alot tighter, and i am trying to decide if taking a 200+ extra monthly payment would be worth it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
We bought the Premium trim level.

All trim levels have Eyesight, adaptive cruise control, forward brake assist, lane keeping, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic assist, etc. I think the add'l safety nannies on the higher model are the rear anti-collision braking, not sure what else, if anything.

The Premium level has heated seats. Also HVAC controls for the 2nd row, and tinted side windows. And the additional Transmission cooler that gives it the 5000lb tow limit...Base model lacks that.

Basically, the Premium gives us everything we wanted. Granted, we don't crave luxury, but the Premium is almost too luxe for me. My wife specifically did NOT want the keyless push-button start, for instance. We geeked out more over the all-weather floormats that the dealer threw in, than almost anything else. I guess I have my own thoughts about people who'd pay $45k for a Subaru...and I'll keep 'em to myself.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I probably wouldn't have gotten the door molding, but that's because there's some graphics I want to put on the car, and, the door moldings are in the way.

(Touring, almost every option and accessory that was available on release date)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
My only regret is waiting this long to buy it... :)

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely love my Touring. Went from a Tahoe to the Ascent and am very happy with the Subaru. Not sure if the Premium has the headlights that turn as you turn a corner, but it makes a big difference. As with many luxury features you don’t miss it if you never had it. I thought the cooled seats were silly until we went on a 6 hour trip in the summer. It was nice to have the seats cool down quickly. Also love the push button start, I keep my keys in my purse, don’t need them to unlock the door, or hatch, or start the car. They just stay in my purse. It all depends on how much you are comfortable spending on your car.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is a loaded question with many responses based on what we as individuals like. If you like the premium with the few added things you mentioned and would be happy with that then by all means that’s what I would get.

I personally got the touring, mainly bc I wanted all the bells and whistles and love all the techy stuff. I just came out of a pretty basic Nissan Pathfinder that I had less than a year bc I hated the fact I didn’t have a sunroof and leather. I learned that was important to me.

If you don’t care about some options, then you likely won’t miss them or regret not having them. Like others have said all the safety features are on the lower models as well. Go with what your financially wanting to be at and spend the money you save doing things you might not could if you went more expensive.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We would have probably gotten the blue touring model, instead of the charcoal gray one that we purchased. We did not consider any other trim level.
A car is a depreciating asset, so consider what features you need, versus the features you want in the car, and weigh that against whether you feel you could use/enjoy/invest that $200 a month elsewhere in your life.
It's way too easy to get caught up in the purchase process, and/or to make a spur of the moment decision, so make sure you have your game plan before you go in to the dealership and you know which trim level you want.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
You're welcome...

This is a loaded question with many responses based on what we as individuals like.
Interestingly, Subaru sent me a survey asking me a gazillion questions on what I liked and didn't like about my Touring. I told them I think they should get rid of power everything.

Nah, just joking... there were questions on everything though, including EVERY SINGLE ITEM PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT HERE.

Literally.

So, folks, I said "yes" or "it's important to me" to a LOT of the things you all requested, such as power mirrors, more adjustments for the passenger seat, better lumbar support, 360° camera, approach unlocking, CVT changes (eg: I don't want the shifting) and MANY MANY MANY more things.

:grin: You're welcome. :tango_face_wink:

Seriously though, I was rather impressed. They seriously hit upon every single point of contention, suggestion and complaint. As I said before, they really listen.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For me I would still get the touring. I tend to keep my cars for a long time - Last one was a 2006 GMC with 330k miles and still in great shape. Also my daily commute is 100+ miles / about 2 hours a day. I am also a bit of a tech nerd. So with that in mind I get a lot of seat time so I want all the bells and whistles, the nicer /quietest interior and the max longevity (base model does not have trans cooler). So I go with the top trim level. My wife knows how much time I spend in a car so if I look at a lower trim she encourages me to pay more and get everything I want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only safety feature you can't get on the Premium is the front camera. RAB is optional with various packages (looks like it adds at least another $1460).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Had I known about all the gizmo/techs, I would've appreciated more on the $40.5K I spent on the Limited. Past 3yrs, I've been looking for a car to replace my classic 4Runner but w/ only $35K in budget, and I wasn't all that content with the purchased. Now, I think it's worth the purchase after owning it for about 3mo+, learning more about my car and its competitors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got the premium and could not be happier with it. I don't like leather seats so the higher levels didn't have much draw. The front camera would of been nice but its not something that i'm missing every time i drive the car. The one thing i wish was on the premium is the 120v outlet.

The only thing i would of done different when purchasing would of been adding the hitch from the factory instead of later at the dealer. More of an oversight on my part.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Just going to be that annoying person that says if you are worried about your budget being tight, then you can not afford it. I don't know you, but 200 bucks is a lot of money. 20 years ago, 200 bucks was the difference between me eating or paying rent.

Your question is not about how much it is worth it, but how much you can afford. If you have a stable job, you have as saving account with 40,000 dollars in it, and emergency fund that can over 6 months of expenses, zero other debt, and some retirement at the age of 30, then yes, you can spend 200 more dollars a month on the car.

On the other hand if you don't have any savings, zero emergency fund, and you are making minimal payments on massive debt, then no you can not afford the 200 dollars more a month.

So my final answer to you. If you have 6 months of expenses saved up in a emergency fund, then you can afford the 200 dollars. If you don't have it, then you can not afford it. And should put the 200 dollars in a emergency fund.

I am not going to go total David Ramsey on you...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a red touring that replaced a red 2011 outback 2.5 premium. I really wanted the front looking camera and rear view camera. I am extremely happy with it. It's not "perfect", but every vehicle has its its quirks. If it got totaled tomorrow, I would promptly order another one just like it. I did have paint protective film installed the front 1/3 of the hood and the fenders. If I had that to to over again, I would do everything from the base of the windshield forward. Its smooth, quiet, comfortable, even at 80MPH, and has enough room to carry all my stuff plus the kitchen sink! It also gets decent, not great, fuel mileage. I don't expect great mileage from a 4,800 lb vehicle that can be going 75 MPH up a 5% grade at 6,000 ft elevation and still have plenty power left to easily pass an 18 wheeler. The turbo motor is down right awesome in the mountains!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The only safety feature you can't get on the Premium is the front camera. RAB is optional with various packages (looks like it adds at least another $1460).
And the upper rear camera - some people consider that a safety feature. Great for larger families (indispensable with 6-7 people blocking the regular rear view mirror).

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
My big wish is that the passenger seat have the same power functions as the driver’s seat. At the very least, there should be a lumbar adjustment.
It was a question in the survey (both of those in one fashion or another). I said yes, it was important.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got a limited and found one at my local dealer with everything I wanted back in July when the Ascent was first rolling out. The only thing I personally would have passed on is the Subaru floor matts but they added it in and weren't willing to take them out and drop the price. I did end up picking up the Subaru cargo net and I love it. Keeps things from hitting the tailgate and keeps my groceries in place.

If they offered the front cam and the rear mirror cam on the limited I would have taken it. I like the touring, but have had bad luck with sunroofs and wanted to avoid them. I don't use in car nav since I have android auto and waze. I wanted black seats and 8 seat so that was a limiting factor. I didn't upgrade the radio speakers, my last car had 11 speaker Alpine system and I didn't see much of a difference. I also like matching mirror and handles.

It is a give and take sort of thing, but the limited hit 99% of what I wanted. I do wish there were more ala-cart options, but oh well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And the upper rear camera - some people consider that a safety feature. Great for larger families (indispensable with 6-7 people blocking the regular rear view mirror).
One of the most brilliant features I've seen. I can't believe that this hasn't been standard on SUVs for years as it now seems so obvious. I think you're spot-on that it can and should be considered "Safety", especially for large families or someone who's going to have it loaded to the ceiling a lot. I'm surprised that Subaru lists that under "Convenience" rather than "Safety" while listing high-beam assist under "Safety" rather than "Convenience". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE high-beam assist and always want it. I just think the rationale for it being listed "Safety" is much thinner than for the camera rear-view.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts