Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this today and waiting to hear from Subaru Canada.

I really thought that it was solid chrome.

Plastic covered with tape! My car has 2850 km only.

Regards, Alain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That explains something to me. The top of the grill is textured. I asked my dealer if that was supposed to be that way so we looked at other Ascents and they were textured too. I was wondering how chrome would stay / last with texturing. Now I know it’s a really a sticker I can see how it will not be an issue. But I still wonder why texture that surface.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a disappointing revelation. Wonder how well we can expect it to hold up to the elements. Not great to already be seeing bubbling.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think I prefer the chrome tape over chrome paint/dip on plastic. I hope those wrinkles are made by robots and not the American workers... lol

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just saw this today and waiting to hear from Subaru Canada.

I really thought that it was solid chrome.

Plastic covered with tape! My car has 2850 km only.

Regards, Alain
I'm not aware of any car in the market that uses real chrome in their grill anymore. I've seen $100,000 Escalades with worse looking "chrome" grills.

But even with that being said, you shouldn't have any blemishes on the car.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Should hold up pretty well.

That's a disappointing revelation. Wonder how well we can expect it to hold up to the elements. Not great to already be seeing bubbling.
My former 2010 Outback's chromed plastic held up to over 220,000 miles, a chunk of which were on ocean beaches.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I am the only one so far, which is good. Probably a third part supplier with one in a thousand chances or more of this happening. Likely an area of the molding with some sort of contamination and or an process error of applying the sticker. It will get sorted out! Happy driving.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Real chrome on metal for such nonstructural parts would be far too heavy for today's vehicles and is a thing of the past. Although yours is showing an obvious defect which I'm sure Subaru will cover, we're all far better off gas-mileage wise with plastic parts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
yep, It is not a sticker - Chrome Plated Plastic ... it is a very different process , used on cars for over 20 years now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts