Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"...when I dip, you dip, we dip."

Yes, I spent the intermittent portion of my day dipping my "winter" wheels. With 4 wheels to try and find a color, I thought I'd take advantage of it. The final color has already been chosen after surveying 4 other people. It was unanimous, but I will save pictures as a surprise until later. This was part of my plan to chrome delete the Ascent, with the rocker panels. skid plate, hella horns, rear gate protector, and fog light trim to get the chosen treatment.

Anyways, here is a pic of the wheels laid out in the garage. I use a series of index cards to mask off the tires. It is a lot easier than taping. However, I did forget to tape off the valve stems. No big deal.

Each wheel got 3 base coats of black. The black wheel got an additional coat for 4 total coats. Each of the colored wheeled got 3 additional coats in their respective color. I would have done 4, but my hand got tired. When I do this again, I will be sure to buy the hand-held sprayer attachment.

Here is how "Black" turned out:

"Gold"

"Burnt Orange"

...and finally, "Copper".

I just thought I'd share as I haven't seen anyone dip the OEM wheels in anything other than the black as of yet. This was my first time ever using Plasti-Dip and it was really easy. Just a reminder to those who may try this to shake the can often and use short strokes. Keep the area dry and breeze free if you can. However, if you go with a color other than black, the VOCs in the other cans were pretty strong and you can see the vapors coming off the wheel. Take breaks when needed for fresh air!!!

Time to order my color, but for discussion's sake, which would you choose?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gold color looks good, seems pretty close to STI wheels
I like the gold as well, but gold looks like a better candidate for my 17 Impreza. I would just have to decide if I want to change the roof rails from silver to gold at the same time. It may look goofy with the two colors on there.

I would go with the black.
The black does look good, but my aftermarket rims are already black. With the dreary grey winters we have in WA, I need a bit of color!

·
Registered
14 Posts
They actually look like they came out great but keep in mind those cans are designed to spray vertically so putting you wheels at a angle and rotating them once or twice instead of flat on the ground usually creates way better results as well as keeping your cans warm with hot water between coats.
Some tire shine on the tires will make the dip not stick if you didnt want to mess with cards.

I'm a simple man and would go with the black but would find myself very tempted with that copper with your ascents color (y)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I must have different taste than the others.
  • I really dislike the gold
  • Black is becoming so standard - I only like black if on a black car. Nothing much better looking to me than what used to be referred to as "black on black on black" (Car Color/Convertible Top Color/Interior Color) In this case it would be Car Color, Wheel Color, Interior Color.
  • Initially I liked Burnt Orange, but I fear that after a while, the novelty would wear off and I would feel it is too much.
  • So for me, the win is Copper

·
Registered
913 Posts
Copper is my favorite.

My aftermarket wheels are a mix of black and gun-metal. They'd be even better if they were copper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
"...when I dip, you dip, we dip."

Yes, I spent the intermittent portion of my day dipping my "winter" wheels. With 4 wheels to try and find a color, I thought I'd take advantage of it. The final color has already been chosen after surveying 4 other people. It was unanimous, but I will save pictures as a surprise until later. This was part of my plan to chrome delete the Ascent, with the rocker panels. skid plate, hella horns, rear gate protector, and fog light trim to get the chosen treatment.

Anyways, here is a pic of the wheels laid out in the garage. I use a series of index cards to mask off the tires. It is a lot easier than taping. However, I did forget to tape off the valve stems. No big deal.
View attachment 945

Each wheel got 3 base coats of black. The black wheel got an additional coat for 4 total coats. Each of the colored wheeled got 3 additional coats in their respective color. I would have done 4, but my hand got tired. When I do this again, I will be sure to buy the hand-held sprayer attachment.

View attachment 946

Here is how "Black" turned out:
View attachment 947 View attachment 948

"Gold"
View attachment 949 View attachment 950

"Burnt Orange"

View attachment 951 View attachment 952

...and finally, "Copper".

View attachment 953 View attachment 954

I just thought I'd share as I haven't seen anyone dip the OEM wheels in anything other than the black as of yet. This was my first time ever using Plasti-Dip and it was really easy. Just a reminder to those who may try this to shake the can often and use short strokes. Keep the area dry and breeze free if you can. However, if you go with a color other than black, the VOCs in the other cans were pretty strong and you can see the vapors coming off the wheel. Take breaks when needed for fresh air!!!

Time to order my color, but for discussion's sake, which would you choose?
Freak Nasty !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts