Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@GaryInMI, answering some questions. Also figured this would be a good topic, as I know some of you are fellow model airplane haulers.

My typical weekend load (2nd and 3rd rows flipped down):
  • 2000W inverter generator behind the driver's seat (perfect fit; yes I brought the generator with me on Test Drive day - I mean, what if it didn't fit? Can't have a generator up on the flat deck, risking tipping and spilling gas and crushing balsa and foam planes!).
  • Equipment and tools behind the passenger seat.
  • 100' AC extension on a reel, behind the folded 2nd row; sometimes a second reel if I am camping.
  • Equipment case between the folded 2nd row captains chairs
  • 2 folding chairs laying across the 2nd/3rd row gap, partially in it, allowing room for a layer of wing bags between the chairs and the fuselages
  • 2-3 ~60" wing span aerobatic RC planes (I'm a "3D" enthusiast), fuselages lengthwise on the deck with tails pointing forward, and wing bags underneath or in between. Rolled up towels for wheel chocks.
  • A 39" flat foamie plane laid across the top of the 60's.
  • Transmitter/tray at the back, along with an equipment bag, both with handles flipped under the bed liner to secure them in hard braking.
  • Bungied in the rearmost right cubby - Windex, carb spray (for the generator), ziplocks of cyanoacrylate glue and kicker.
  • Passenger seat footwell - lipo battery charger case
  • Passenger seat - daughter (in which case an RC truck is in the back behind the planes)
For camping weekends at the RC field, add a hitch-mounted storage box and a roof top tent.

As mentioned in another thread, the Ascent is an inch shorter externally than my dear departed Merc GL450, but several inches longer from back of the front seats to the hatch. This is much needed for my weekend haul! I think the Ascent's front seats are farther forward than the GL, facilitated by the flat-4.

Gary, yep the generator is for running my uber LiPo battery charger. Ever since good electric motors and batteries have been available, I haven't run nitro or gas motors in planes. If I ever ran gas, it'd be to have smoke, but that's a ways off (need much bigger planes than 60", and my RC budget is modest).

Anyone else hauling model airplanes?

F.S.

Here's a pic with a pvc rack I made to elevate the planes (fragile stuff) above the sleeping bags and camping gear (heavier non-fragiles). This isn't the weekend setup - more the over-nighter version.
Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

And here's the rain setup. Bring one plane, fully assembled, and tossable in the back if it starts to rain. (Hey I just noticed: this is a great photo of the ceiling/seatbelt recess-mounted LED light. Bright back there!)
Vehicle Yellow Car Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Years ago I was heavily into RC helicopters. I was a rep for Miniature Aircraft and Magnum Fuels. That was before electrics came to dominate. Love the smell of nitro in the morning! I built racks and provisions for my helis into the Ford Explorer I had at the time, and a Cessna 185. Also ran ham HF radios in the Explorer and 185. No current plans to reactivate those activities with the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
Built and flew RC aircraft when I was a teen...which was a long time ago. Wonderful hobby for sure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Merope, Lol, I was a rep for Schluter in the late '80s (living in D.C.). Made the trip to the New Years contest in Orlando a few times. Tidewater Nats, then they moved Nats to Muncie. Fun times. Been decades since I've had a heli running.
F.S.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
@FirstSubie - That's a very impressive setup!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Merope, Lol, I was a rep for Schluter in the late '80s (living in D.C.)...
You had me beat by about a decade. I was doing it mid to late 90's based out of San Jose CA and Reno NV. It was around 2001 when I got out of it entirely. I also flew full scale planes, gliders and helicopters.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
I also flew full scale planes, gliders and helicopters.
Ditto the full scale and gliders for me, was working on my commercial rating when my right eye imploded. Fooled around with war birds a little and rode with an airshow pilot once. My buddy was a police and Nat Guard heli pilot so had some exposure to that.

I started building electric R/C planes and doing aerial photo stuff as a retirement hobby in the very early days using NiCads and brushed motors long before GoPros. Still have only 1 store bought plane, a 2 meter glider, the other hundred or so I designed and built using 1/4 foam insulation and hardware store materials. Mostly as a challenge to see what I could get to fly.

Now with all morons doing stupid things with drones and the FAA jumping in I'm not sure if I want to get back into it again. Kinda got the itch though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.