Registered
2020 Subaru ascent premium 2003 Jeep Wrangler freedom edition
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

none of these problems have happened to me but idk mine is a 2020 his is a 2018

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Wow, what a piece of work this guy is. Most of these problems are due to his ineptness.

He complains about his lease. Apparently, he has no idea about negotiating with the dealer for better terms or the differences between leasing and buying. No one should be taking advice from this crybaby. The Ascent is an excellent value at its price compared to similar vehicles when properly purchased.

If he opened a case with SOA about the brakes, they probably would have resolved the issue for him. My dealer resolved the issue permanently at zero cost to me. This guy apparently does not know how to get things done.

To stop the chime, simply buckle your seatbelt. So difficult.

Apparently, he never read the manual on how to turn off the Lane Centering by simply pressing the on/off button. And if he got close enough to a vehicle in front of him to set off the auto braking, he should be thanking Subaru for saving him from a potentially serious collision, not complaining about it.

OEM tires are rarely great on any car. Once they go you simply buy a set of good tires and you're set for another 50,000 miles or more. Par for the course.

Unless you have a lead foot, the Ascent's gas mileage is in the mid-20's not the teens. I easily get 26 mpg or better around town.

The Ascent has a 19.3 gallon gas tank, that's excellent for a car this size. At ~23 mpg, that gives it a range of 450+ miles. How many miles does this guy drive? He says he's filling it up twice a week. That's close to a thousand miles a week. How is that Subaru's fault?

The seatbelt in the back folds up out of the way. Again, read the manual. If you don't obstruct the back door with crap floating around it will open and close just fine. Maybe he could organize his cargo?

If this nitpicker is so annoyed by such things, wait until he buys his Tesla or Range Rover! Then he'll have real problems to cry about, LOL.

There's no substance or fairness in his criticisms. He nitpicks about some minor issues, which are mostly his fault, without once mentioning a single thing about the Ascent's many superb attributes. Totally unfair and one-sided.

Apparently, he's willing to diss an excellent car simply to gain revenue from an annoying, over-long ED commercial.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
472 Posts
This seems like a glorified Facebook post of someone ranting. I didn't make it past the chime and brake rant.

BTW - his comment of "anything after 2010 should be reliable"....uhhhh, stuff is. Look at the rest of the lineup that was before 2010 and now after 2010. This is a new model, so its like having a todler, not a full grown adult.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
472 Posts
Also, he is complaining about the Ascent while driving his NSX after he blew up his other car? And yea, the super long ED stiched in ad, good grief.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, what a piece of work this guy is. Most of these problems are due to his ineptness.

He complains about his lease. Apparently, he has no idea about negotiating with the dealer for better terms or the differences between leasing and buying. No one should be taking advice from this crybaby. The Ascent is an excellent value at its price compared to similar vehicles when properly purchased.

If he opened a case with SOA about the brakes, they probably would have resolved the issue for him. My dealer resolved the issue permanently at zero cost to me. This guy apparently does not know how to get things done.

To stop the chime, simply buckle your seatbelt. So difficult.

Apparently, he never read the manual on how to turn off the Lane Centering by simply pressing the on/off button. And if he got close enough to a vehicle in front of him to set off the auto braking, he should be thanking Subaru for saving him from a potentially serious collision, not complaining about it.

OEM tires are rarely great on any car. Once they go you simply buy a set of good tires and you're set for another 50,000 miles or more. Par for the course.

Unless you have a lead foot, the Ascent's gas mileage is in the mid-20's not the teens. I easily get 26 mpg or better around town.

The Ascent has a 19.3 gallon gas tank, that's excellent for a car this size. At ~23 mpg, that gives it a range of 450+ miles. How many miles does this guy drive? He says he's filling it up twice a week. That's close to a thousand miles a week. How is that Subaru's fault?

The seatbelt in the back folds up out of the way. Again, read the manual. If you don't obstruct the back door with crap floating around it will open and close just fine. Maybe he could organize his cargo?

If this nitpicker is so annoyed by such things, wait until he buys his Tesla or Range Rover! Then he'll have real problems to cry about, LOL.

There's no substance or fairness in his criticisms. He nitpicks about some minor issues, which are mostly his fault, without once mentioning a single thing about the Ascent's many superb attributes. Totally unfair and one-sided.

Apparently, he's willing to diss an excellent car simply to gain revenue from an annoying, over-long ED commercial.
Seriously again I like him but he does not know enough about the ascent

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, he is complaining about the Ascent while driving his NSX after he blew up his other car? And yea, the super long ED stiched in ad, good grief.
For real

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

none of these problems have happened to me but idk mine is a 2020 his is a 2018
Also like he owns a luxury car business ofc it’s not to his standards

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to come here for this. Was blown away by how out of touch the guy is. The Ascent isn't my favorite vehicle ever, but it is a solid choice among competing vehicles.

Next video, Rob is complaining about a Dominos pizza that he accidentally paid full price for, from a shady franchise that skimped on toppings and delivered it cold.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
Sounds like the video equivalent of "click bait"....

Reactions: -MIATA-

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to come here for this. Was blown away by how out of touch the guy is. The Ascent isn't my favorite vehicle ever, but it is a solid choice among competing vehicles.

Next video, Rob is complaining about a Dominos pizza that he accidentally paid full price for, from a shady franchise that skimped on toppings and delivered it cold.
For real like wait till he has a Tesla or Volkswagen he will make this times 20 it’s fucking crazy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why are we even talking about this. Rob isn't a credible source on Subarus, let alone half of the vehicles he rents.
Yes and no definitely not Subaru but other brands like luxury

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chime drove me insane as well, I disabled it. I don't know how people keep that thing enabled. I do agree about how bad the MPG is as well, I mainly get 17-19 mpg. We fill up twice a week as well since we get horrible gas mileage. We fill up every 300 miles ish. I do have a lead foot, but that is because it doesn't make a difference on this car. Even if I drive the best I can, I barely see a 20 unless I have a downhill road with a backwind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chime drove me insane as well, I disabled it. I don't know how people keep that thing enabled. I do agree about how bad the MPG is as well, I mainly get 17-19 mpg. We fill up twice a week as well since we get horrible gas mileage. We fill up every 300 miles ish. I do have a lead foot, but that is because it doesn't make a difference on this car. Even if I drive the best I can, I barely see a 20 unless I have a downhill road with a backwind.
This
I can baby the accelerator and drive in perfect conditions on the highway and can only achieve 20-21 MPG at most. This is the only thing that I don't like and since everything else is pretty great for me I can live with it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This
I can baby the accelerator and drive in perfect conditions on the highway and can only achieve 20-21 MPG at most. This is the only thing that I don't like and since everything else is pretty great for me I can live with it.
Greetings,
This has to be one of the great mysteries of the universe. Why such different experiences in this regard?

In my 2019 Limited, I've gotten near (and I think in one case above) 30 MPG when interstate driving. Even with a box on top I've exceeded 25. Putting around town with all the stop and go (but rarely a true jam) drops me to ~19, with another -2 or so when it is cold (for reasons I do not understand).

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
773 Posts
Ours tops out at about 27 mpg on a good day on the interstate. We've seen as low as 24 mpg in "hauling the mail" mode. It interesting how different cars have wildly different results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Greetings,
This has to be one of the great mysteries of the universe. Why such different experiences in this regard?

In my 2019 Limited, I've gotten near (and I think in one case above) 30 MPG when interstate driving. Even with a box on top I've exceeded 25. Putting around town with all the stop and go (but rarely a true jam) drops me to ~19, with another -2 or so when it is cold (for reasons I do not understand).
Wow! I am always so jealous of all of you with that kind of mileage to the gallon. As I have stated in other threads, I have owned several types of cars and a couple of turbo vehicles including a twin turbo S4 and Legacy GT. I have always beaten the MPG stated by the manufacturers up until my Ascent 😕. Ah well it is awesome for my family and my wife loves it so all good.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
My trick is two-fold.
  • I watch the driver's "instant" gauge (the bar at the top of the driver's cluster) or the numeric representation in the info portion and work on beating my current.
  • I watch the "Accel" (which is actually "pedal") to moderate my pedal usage.
What hurts the most is non-linear pedal pressure and accelerating & decelerating over and over again. When I am easy on lowering the pedal for re-accelerating, I use less gas. When I find a lane where I can go a consistent speed, I do considerably better.

It takes a lot to get the Ascent moving once it's slowed down. Inertia sucks.

And, finally, I have ridiculous control over my pedal, by not having my foot on (covering) it. Only my toes and front edge of my foot is ever covering the pedal, and only making contact at the lower end of it. That also enables me to smoothly accelerate, from a stop or from any speed, where, others have complained about dead zones, bogging and other issues.

I dunno who this guy is, but, this is what I do...

This guy is me... it also makes it easier to swivel my foot (toes) to hit the brake pedal.

When my foot covers the pedal, there seem to be dead zones, bogging and all the rest. There's a LOT less range of motion available, so, there's a LOT less precision. This ALSO eats gas, for that same reason.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
171 Posts
I'm both struggling and pleased with my mileage, for at times it seems like 2 different cars. I've never had one vary to this degree. If we're just doing in town driving (we live downtown, and it's a bit hilly) our mileage is blech, averaging 17 at best and sometimes as low as 14 or 15. If we are doing more around town driving, like out in the suburbs, we can get 23 - 25 on a good day if we hit more green lights than red. And out on the highway this car seems great, getting 29 or 30 cruising along at 65 or 70. My ultimate conclusion is that this car is a bit like me, doesn't like getting up and going very much, but once I'm up and around (and caffeinated ) then sure, lets go on a 5 mile hike or whatever, that's not nearly as difficult as getting out of bed and walking the dang dogs. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts