Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my wife came in the house in a panic because she almost rolled fwd into the garage while in reverse trying to back out of the driveway. I went out and sure enough in reverse running and stuff it's going to go forward with even the gentle slope we have (gentle enough slope that in some things like my truck you can back out into the street at idle).

AVH wasn't AVHing. Hmmm...

So I've been experimenting and it seems if you are indecisive, and let's say touch the brake even once after you remove your foot, even if you haven't touched the throttle, AVH will disconnect and say not a word about it.

My interpretation of what happened is she followed her steps of foot on brake, remove parking brake, put in reverse (or reverse then pb, whichever) remove foot from brake, then instead of throttle I bet she hesitated, maybe touched the brake again because unsure of this tech, habit because she's used to non AVH cars so you typically foot on brake in gear if not ready to go, whatever. Once that happens, the Ascent will readily roll fwd while in reverse. I was made to understand by the dealer that it held brake until throttle application, but I can replicate this at will now. Put in gear, take foot off brake, and you are held by AVH. BUT, touch the brake even a whisker, by accident, because you have to do something else, whatever, and wheee, off you go. It does seem that if you press and hold firmly for a small count, maybe 3 seconds or so, it will then re-engage AVH.

I dunno how I am going to articulate this to her with the AVH trust circle broken already. Practice, practice, practice. The fix for Subaru is to hold AVH until throttle application has begun. They should realize most drivers by habit and muscle memory will err on the side of brake application. Not good that it kicks AVH off so easily.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I learned that too, after pulling out of my driveway (forward), stopping on the hill in front of my house, and watching my gate close before moving off. I braked, let up while I impatiently waited for the gate, pressed on the brake again, let up... and rolled backward. Whoops.

I think the articulation is, "AVH will hold the hill the first time you let off the brake, but not after that. So get going." That's what I told myself, and no missteps since.

F.S.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I learned that too, after pulling out of my driveway (forward), stopping on the hill in front of my house, and watching my gate close before moving off. I braked, let up while I impatiently waited for the gate, pressed on the brake again, let up... and rolled backward. Whoops.

I think the articulation is, "AVH will hold the hill the first time you let off the brake, but not after that. So get going." That's what I told myself, and no missteps since.

F.S.
:thumbsup: I'm going to use that interpretation in explaining to her what the car is doing.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
AVH actually alerts you on the dash (symbol changes to standby) and, if you are on the Eyesight systems screen on the center upper display on the trims that have it, there as well.

But, yes, like explained in the manual, AVH turns on at full stop with normal or stronger pedal press. And, it turns off if you tap the gas or brake a second time, and then back on the next full press, etc, etc.

By turning it off with a brake tap, it allows you to go back to old school crawl mode.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ya I misunderstood = she got bum scoop from me. I did investigate and understand the little circle symbol under the AVH. I plan to use that to tell her no circle = no bueno. But really, once yer rolling your head is on a swivel, not looking at the dash for an answer. Less that 2 weeks in, and a lot to digest. I think this incident would have been less dramatic if it wasn’t so willing to roll fwd while in reverse. I totally get the drag in the converter that allows my truck to idle out up the slope with no throttle is really indicative of drag that equates to suboptimal fuel consumption sitting in traffic, etc., and no converter drag helps them be competitive without that heinous thing some manufacturers resort to - stop/start. Universally despised by everyone in my office that has that on by default in their cars!

Much to adapt to here, and I note I wasn’t the only one that got caught by the brake release of AVH.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
There's a lot to learn. I've started a while video series that summarizes everything and then has segments that go into detail on everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts

F.S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The other day my wife came in the house in a panic because she almost rolled fwd into the garage while in reverse trying to back out of the driveway. I went out and sure enough in reverse running and stuff it's going to go forward with even the gentle slope we have (gentle enough slope that in some things like my truck you can back out into the street at idle).

So I've been experimenting and it seems if you are indecisive, and let's say touch the brake even once after you remove your foot, even if you haven't touched the throttle, AVH will disconnect and say not a word about it.

My interpretation of what happened is she followed her steps of foot on brake, remove parking brake, put in reverse (or reverse then pb, whichever) remove foot from brake, then instead of throttle I bet she hesitated, maybe touched the brake again because unsure of this tech, habit because she's used to non AVH cars so you typically foot on brake in gear if not ready to go, whatever. Once that happens, the Ascent will readily roll fwd while in reverse. I was made to understand by the dealer that it held brake until throttle application, but I can replicate this at will now. Put in gear, take foot off brake, and you are held by AVH. BUT, touch the brake even a whisker, by accident, because you have to do something else, whatever, and wheee, off you go. It does seem that if you press and hold firmly for a small count, maybe 3 seconds or so, it will then re-engage AVH.

I dunno how I am going to articulate this to her with the AVH trust circle broken already. Practice, practice, practice. The fix for Subaru is to hold AVH until throttle application has begun. They should realize most drivers by habit and muscle memory will err on the side of brake application. Not good that it kicks AVH off so easily.
I experienced something very similar and I’ve realized it’s just like the auto start/ stop. Once you’ve come to a complete stop the car will turn of but let’s say you need to move up a little bit for some reason once you come back to a complete stop the car will not turn off again.I guess they make them that way so it doesn’t put that much stress on whatever mechanism

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
660 Posts
AVH actually alerts you on the dash (symbol changes to standby) and, if you are on the Eyesight systems screen on the center upper display on the trims that have it, there as well.

But, yes, like explained in the manual, AVH turns on at full stop with normal or stronger pedal press. And, it turns off if you tap the gas or brake a second time, and then back on the next full press, etc, etc.

By turning it off with a brake tap, it allows you to go back to old school crawl mode.
"Normal" is very subjective. I was in a traffic jam and tested AVH for sometime. For me, AVH only engadges with a strong press of the pedal. It requires a bit of motion of the pedal before you see it kick in.

Otherwise, I could drive like normal and never have AVH ever engadge. Its actually nice as you can actually control if you want to use it or not with just your foot.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I experienced something very similar and I’ve realized it’s just like the auto start/ stop. Once you’ve come to a complete stop the car will turn of but let’s say you need to move up a little bit for some reason once you come back to a complete stop the car will not turn off again.I guess they make them that way so it doesn’t put that much stress on whatever mechanism
The Ascent does not have Auto Start/Stop on any model year (to date) on any trim level. So, whatever you're experiencing is not normal for an Ascent.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I tend to keep AVH off unless I'm sitting in a drive thru.. not a fan of the acceleration from a stop to overcome AVH.. I usually use the brake to move forward in the drive thru.
Just tap the brake. That disengages AVH without use of the throttle.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
It shouldn't take acceleration to overcome the AVH under normal circumstances with the gas pedal. In fact, you should be able to tap the gas and have AVH release the brakes without the car moving forward at all, at least not any faster than if you simply let off the brake. It doesn't take but just the slightest movement of the gas pedal. I often will give it a quick tap-and-release to release AVH (which feels no different from the release of the brake pedal if I didn't have AVH on), and then, separately, press on the gas pedal to move off from the stop. Or, I'll depress it just slightly, wait for AVH to disengage, and then continue with more gas to accelerate.

AVH is nice, but its release does take a half beat or so. If you mash the gas expecting instant release and acceleration, then it may indeed not be very smooth in that case.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

Avh does communicate its status. When engaged it has a ring around the avh letters right in front of the driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts