Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I drive another car every day to work, and the Subaru stays home. We take care of a couple grandkids during the week, so the Ascent at home with wife and grand kiddos is logical arrangement.

Then I drive it sometimes on a weekend, and it’s all smooth and gentle riding and mellow I bet my bp drops 5 or 10 points just from serenity. :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
It’s so smooth for me that I regularly find myself driving 10, 15 mph or more over the speed limit once I look at the speedometer (I usually try to stick with no more than 5 over). You just never get the sense that you’re going that fast.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
^^ yup. My fiancée got pulled over for “19 mph over the speed limit.” That’s what the cop nicely said anyway since here in VA 20 or more over is a misdemeanor.
My Ascent was new and probably just out of the break in period so she wasn’t used to it. And it is significantly smoother than her Jeep Compass. I made her use the cruise control the rest of the way home!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Once thing that adds to the smoothness is that the CVT will hold a low RPM while the car accelerates.

It'll do the fake gears while accelerating at the lower speeds (although you can finesse the pedal to get around those too), but between 40 and 60+ mph, if you are gentle on the pedal and ask for low smooth torque, it will park at 2000-2200 RPM while the speedometer rolls up 40, 45, 50, 55, 60... and then in a short while you are doing 65 without the tach having moved or any revving sound!

I love it, but drivers who aren't used to it have to forget about the audible RPM queues for speed. Got to see the speed in scenery going by, and feel the road. The stock Falkens are very smooth too and add to the effect.

F.S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts