Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I got a Subaru ascent limited and your help/feedback is greatly appreciated. Here is my problem: when I put the car in reverse, the car doesn’t reverse right away - it will roll for a few seconds and then you feel the car jump as the transmission shifts to reverse. Brand new car less than 100 miles - any ideas?

Thanks everyone

This is my first Subaru and I love it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chris,

What do you mean by "roll for a few seconds"? Sounds like your foot is not on the brake as you shift, and maybe that (and rolling) is keeping the car from engaging reverse?

I have my foot on the brake, car stopped, shift into reverse, and there's no substantial lag, at least not anything that bothers me. Under a second and it's ready to go.

F.S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi FS, thanks for the reply. I step on the brake to put the shifter in reverse (like any normal car) - the back up camera turns on - I see the lines move as I turn the wheel to the left and right. As I get off the brake to give a little gas the car does not respond for maybe 2 to 3 seconds. Depending if I am in a hill the car will either roll forward or backwards. After that “time” has passed you feel the car jump into reverse. It is kind of similar when you rev the engine (in neutral) and then throw the shifter in drive and you feel that bump and the car jumps/jerks forward. I do not do this with the new Subie, btw.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hmm, from that description, you or I wouldn't be able to duplicate that problem on my Ascent - it shifts and doesn't really have a period of being unshifted where it could roll somewhere.

I'd recommend bringing it in to the dealership. Anyone else have ideas?

F.S.

·
Registered
542 Posts
So its like driving a manual transmission vehicle? Its in reverse neutral, until 2-3 seconds, then it grabs?

That sounds like a serious problem if it happens every time. Maybe something with the CVT pulleys?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi FS, thanks for the reply. I step on the brake to put the shifter in reverse (like any normal car) - the back up camera turns on - I see the lines move as I turn the wheel to the left and right. As I get off the brake to give a little gas the car does not respond for maybe 2 to 3 seconds. Depending if I am in a hill the car will either roll forward or backwards. After that “time” has passed you feel the car jump into reverse. It is kind of similar when you rev the engine (in neutral) and then throw the shifter in drive and you feel that bump and the car jumps/jerks forward. I do not do this with the new Subie, btw.
A delay of about one second is normal. When you're putting your foot on the brake, is the car completely stopped before you shift into reverse? The back-up camera will come on BEFORE the transmission has switched.

Also, just turn on AVH and leave it on. That's Auto Vehicle Hold - when the car comes to a full and complete stop, it will keep the parking brake engaged until you put your foot on the gas, so the car won't roll backwards or forwards on an incline. The CVT won't let you do a really good bootlegger reverse turn. (Speeding backwards in the car, yank the wheel so it's into a slide, shifting into drive and heading off facing forward.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I will take the car to the dealership hopefully this weekend and see what’s going on ... for now what I am doing and putting the car in reverse and holding the breaker until I feel the car lower in RPM and then ease off the break and give it some gas to park....

·
Registered
43 Posts
With my Ascent no such thing, but before i had 2016 Legacy and it did exactly same thing. Got used to it, not a problem i guess. Drove it for 3 years. Although Ascent might be defferent story. Who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys I got a Subaru ascent limited and your help/feedback is greatly appreciated. Here is my problem: when I put the car in reverse, the car doesn’t reverse right away - it will roll for a few seconds and then you feel the car jump as the transmission shifts to reverse. Brand new car less than 100 miles - any ideas?

Thanks everyone

Hi, don’t know if you’re still having the same issue but I’d be interested to know if its a problem with the transmission or just automatics in general. I’m a manual transmission driver but I just got a new Ascent for the space and I’m struggling with this automatic. Yes, there’s a 2 or 3 second delay between reverse and drive which I find with most automatics and its terribly annoying and the main reason I didn’t want to get rid of my manual Forester. Other than that though the car is great. Just wondered if its the norm with this car or if I need to chat with Subaru service. Ill just have to get used to it if its normal for the Ascent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, don’t know if you’re still having the same issue but I’d be interested to know if its a problem with the transmission or just automatics in general. I’m a manual transmission driver but I just got a new Ascent for the space and I’m struggling with this automatic. Yes, there’s a 2 or 3 second delay between reverse and drive which I find with most automatics and its terribly annoying and the main reason I didn’t want to get rid of my manual Forester. Other than that though the car is great. Just wondered if its the norm with this car or if I need to chat with Subaru service. Ill just have to get used to it if its normal for the Ascent.
Hi Ascent Guys it's called the rubberband effect and it is common in cvt's but subaru's are not as bad as most I had had an xv since 2013 and it drives the same way you will get use to it in no time(Smile) My Ascent just had an Tranmission replaced last week (Aug build) did not know this thing had so much power before guess I fhought it was ok and normal before

·
Registered
260 Posts
There’s a slight delay in shifting from park to reverse — my non-CVT Forester does the same thing. It’s normal for a Subaru.

It’s a short delay though—I think a delay of 2 or 3 seconds is probably too long and worth getting checked out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you have AVH (Auto Vehicle Hold) on? This activates in reverse or drive and will make it feel like there is a delay until you hit the gas. I love AVH when you are at stop lights but dislike it when you are going in reverse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When in reverse use the brake pedal to release AVH, instead of the gas. You will have more control and the car will move slowly backwards. (Push and release the brake pedal and AVH will turn off). Use this same procedure to creep forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok... noticed something similar...but not similar.... LOL AVH auto puts on e-brake? Is that correct. I have the 2020. I noticed its on sometimes after I park and sometimes not...assuming that has to do with auto incline in hill or something? It auto turns on ebrake in AVH mode??

Does the ebrake come off if you try to accelerate but only have a few seconds? If thats the case...maybe thats also part of the confusion?

Just curious.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone

I have had several vehicles that acted like that and the problem always turned out to be a leaking torque converter. I would turn the car off and if the converter stopping at a certain spot it would then drain during the parked cycle. Then when I would start the car after being parked for a few hours it took a few seconds for the torque converter to refill before the car would move. So, since the 2020 Ascent doesn't employ a torque converter to my knowledge maybe it has something to do with an internal fluid chamber leak of some kind. Just guessing. Either way, I think it would be a good idea to have your Subaru dealer service dept check out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts