Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... But I'm hoping to get one! Yep, I'm new to the Subaru community and have checked out the Forester and Outback. Both have pros and cons for my family of 4. And after some searching, it appears the Ascent may be the match! Now I've just got to get the "right" price on one. How long will that take? I don't know.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
... But I'm hoping to get one! Yep, I'm new to the Subaru community and have checked out the Forester and Outback. Both have pros and cons for my family of 4. And after some searching, it appears the Ascent may be the match! Now I've just got to get the "right" price on one. How long will that take? I don't know.
Hi Jim,

In South Carolina, the demand is likely a lot less than up north here, but, since they're built to order, it's still a couple months to get one - unless a dealer near you has one in stock that fits your desires. There's probably a little bit more dealer stock in your area than in mine, so, that's a bit of a bonus for you. If that's the case, you can grab one within the span of time it takes to agree on a price, finalize the order & financing and have any additional accessories installed.

I loved my 2010 Outback and I am loving my Ascent even more - hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed the two Subies I've owned/own.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you want cargo space and towing capability, then the Ascent is a great choice. If you don't need to tow and only have 4, the Outback might be a better choice if fuel economy is important.

I've had 2 Outbacks and loved them both, but traded my 2nd one and my truck in for one vehicle that could do it all, hence the Ascent is my choice. I can now tow my 3500 lb camper with ease with the Ascent.

If you order one, you're looking at about 2 months or so. If you happen to find one on a lot that is close enough to what you want, you can grab it quick. They are selling FAST.

If you do get one, I'm sure you'll own many more. This is Subaru #5 for me and it won't be the last!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jim,

In South Carolina, the demand is likely a lot less than up north here, but, since they're built to order, it's still a couple months to get one - unless a dealer near you has one in stock that fits your desires. There's probably a little bit more dealer stock in your area than in mine, so, that's a bit of a bonus for you. If that's the case, you can grab one within the span of time it takes to agree on a price, finalize the order & financing and have any additional accessories installed.

I loved my 2010 Outback and I am loving my Ascent even more - hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed the two Subies I've owned/own.
Great to hear and thanks for the advice! I guess demand is a little lower. The selection isn't huge but I can find a few Limiteds at each dealer around here. It's not quite what you see for the Forester or Outback, though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want cargo space and towing capability, then the Ascent is a great choice. If you don't need to tow and only have 4, the Outback might be a better choice if fuel economy is important.

I've had 2 Outbacks and loved them both, but traded my 2nd one and my truck in for one vehicle that could do it all, hence the Ascent is my choice. I can now tow my 3500 lb camper with ease with the Ascent.

If you order one, you're looking at about 2 months or so. If you happen to find one on a lot that is close enough to what you want, you can grab it quick. They are selling FAST.

If you do get one, I'm sure you'll own many more. This is Subaru #5 for me and it won't be the last!
It's mainly about cargo space and the ability to tote kids (and their cargo). Since I don't really tow anything, an Outback might be something I should look at. I just wish a new update wasn't right around the corner :plain:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would suggest you look at the options available and make a list of your "must haves" and then as soon as you find one that meets those requirements, snap it up. Also if you're more flexible on colors, you'll have more options.

Since I wanted the trailer hitch and a fairly basic model (Blue Premium with only a couple options) I had to special order or pay $4k more for options I didn't want/need. So I did a special order.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our main thing is leather interior and 2nd row bench. After that, it's the 14-speakers are the only option I care for.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Our main thing is leather interior and 2nd row bench. After that, it's the 14-speakers are the only option I care for.
8 Seat Limited then... keep us posted!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this isn't necessarily easy to answer, but what price should I look to pay? (ie what is a good price)

·
Registered
21 Posts
For us it was the 3rd row seating and cargo space. Both are great cars, my son in Colorado Springs is now driving the used Outback while attending school their. It was perfect for him since he is an avid skier. My wife and I absolutely love the Ascent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went through the exact same things you are going through. I started by thinking I was going to buy the new forester, drove 2 of them, then test drove an outback, then drove 4 ascents over a 3 month period. The final decision came after we just recently drove the new forester, and then a final ascent test drive (4th one). The decision is hands down, the forester cannot compare with the ascent. Now, of course, they are two different animals, and it is almost unfair to pit the forester against the larger vehicle. We want comfort, along with cargo space, and the ability to carry 5 people with the third row down for cargo. So, for us, it is the Limited, with the bench seat in the middle. We made the final decision based somewhat upon the posts within this forum - it has been a learning experience. With luck, there will be a new tungsten limited in Clermont, Florida next week...... We are buying through the ASPCA VIP program at 2% below invoice, and I strongly suggest you seek out a dealer that will honor this program. For a $500 donation, we are saving $3500 (net) off MSRP. Plus you are helping a wonderful organization.

Happy car hunting..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is invoice the best price going right now?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Is invoice the best price going right now?
It's really variable. Some are getting MSRP, some are getting a little over MSRP, some are getting a little under MSRP.

I'd search the forums for various pricing threads... you may find something very helpful to your purchasing endeavors. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I was able to find Grand Subaru in Illinois from another thread. They actually deliver and seem to provide a very good price.

For a Limited with Package #23 ... How is $40,848?

(I believe MSRP is $42,920)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Jim, I answered you in the other thread, but I didn't know the dealership you contacted. If you're looking in Illinois, see what Berman Subaru in Chicago will do on the price. PM me if you need additional contact info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.