Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took home a 2021 Ice Silver Ascent Touring today!

I've been part of a Subaru family since grade school but won't bother going down the list of who had what and when. Long story short, my BRZ is on vehicle dollies, and will be for a month or two, so naturally the conversation of finally getting an SUV resurfaced. One of the sayings that reinforced our decision to go this route was, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Three rows when the recently-retired in-laws are in town has increasingly become one of those needs.

This is our first SUV and first time buying new, so perusing this forum to get real-world reviews was immensely helpful and certainly helped ease the transition from (essentially) a 2-seater to a 7-seater.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Very nice and welcome!

A lot of folks seem to initially overlook that a "3-row" like the Ascent isn't just about more seats. I didn't need the seats, although they have been taken advantage of a few times for a meal out with guests. "3-row" also means more cargo area when the seats are down. That was the kicker for me.

Enjoy your new Ascent!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,195 Posts
Very nice and welcome!

A lot of folks seem to initially overlook that a "3-row" like the Ascent isn't just about more seats. I didn't need the seats, although they have been taken advantage of a few times for a meal out with guests. "3-row" also means more cargo area when the seats are down. That was the kicker for me.

Enjoy your new Ascent!
And towing. Most of the 2 row SUVs have reduced their towing capabilities to 1200 to 1500 range. I couldn't buy anything with less than 3500 capability. Accent's 5000 provides headroom for what I already need plus some future upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
And towing. Most of the 2 row SUVs have reduced their towing capabilities to 1200 to 1500 range. I couldn't buy anything with less than 3500 capability. Accent's 5000 provides headroom for what I already need plus some future upgrades.
Comparing similar sized SUVs, there are a number that support 5K in this class, although not necessarily as elegantly as Ascent.And Grand Cherokee is 6200 with the V6 and 7200 with the V8...similar size, albeit 2-row currently except for the Durango variant...which is at the upper end. WDH required over 3500 with them, however.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,195 Posts
Comparing similar sized SUVs, there are a number that support 5K in this class, although not necessarily as elegantly as Ascent.And Grand Cherokee is 6200 with the V6 and 7200 with the V8...similar size, albeit 2-row currently except for the Durango variant...which is at the upper end. WDH required over 3500 with them, however.
I had a '96 Grand Cherokee. Thankfully it was leased. Never had a vehicle that required more trips to the dealership for significant issues as the JGC. I should have known better than to buy a Chrysler product. Never again.

Even the Telluride/Palisade which has a 5000# tow limit doesn't really because they only have a 350# tongue limit.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
There is zero comparison with those old generations of the JGC and current generations. What's being sold today is the same platform as the Merc ML350. Next gen, due later next year, is an Italian derived platform.

We now return you to your regular new-member thread. :) :D

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, thanks Jim and Titan for the towing discussion—that feature was definitely overlooked since we've never had a need to tow anything in the past.

Although, if things go according to my clandestine plan, I may just make my BRZ a dedicated track car, throw it on a trailer, and tow that to events...

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
Although, if things go according to my clandestine plan, I may just make my BRZ a dedicated track car, throw it on a trailer, and tow that to events...
That will work as long as the combined weight of the trailer and BRZ doesn't exceed 5000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue weight. OEM hitch receiver recommended for sure...but you'll pick that up in the forums here. ;)

Reactions: geezycreezy

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, when I saw the title my first reaction was. "He must not have use protection". 😆😅😂🤣
Hahaha, it's a natural inference and one that we heard at least 3 separate times the day we picked it up: from the salesman, finance guy, and teller at the bank. They also happened to be the 3 lucky people who saw the lock screen of my phone:

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those were precisely my thoughts. Nice car collection! Feel free to share more details about the boosted BRZ...inquiring minds...
Sure! What would you like to know? For starters, it's running the Edelbrock kit which I installed myself over July 4th weekend (my most ambitious car-related project at the time). Got it tuned at PTuning where it made 245 hp to the wheels (which adds about ~80 hp from stock) and 201 ft/lb of torque. It's got an unequal length JDL catted header, Nameless axleback delete, and Nameless OP/DP combo on the way. Wheels are 18x9.5 with 265/35 Michelin PilotSport 4s on all four corners which, on the front, was only made possible by the Tien Flex Z coilovers.

Other than that, I've done misc. cosmetic/convenience upgrades including, unashamedly, Plasti-dipping my wheels—a much more successful undertaking than my attempt at a chrome delete on the Ascent last night (note the floating fa20 engine):

·
Registered
262 Posts
Edelbrock Supercharger kit I imagine? What is the car used for? Just a fun daily or do you track it? Glad to see you were able to get 18x9.5 in there on 265's...my theoretical setup (since i don't have the car) would be 17x9 and 255 all around. I am a track junkie and sold my last track vehicle in 2014. Amongst the cars I'm considering destroying (as no track car ever has a happy life) is the BRZ. Engine is out because it went pop or for upgrades?

More pics!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Indeed! It was priced a fair bit higher than the other SCs I was researching, but the fitment and R&D was obvious once it came to installing it. I have yet to take it to the track, or even just AutoX, but as it's my daily, I didn't want to run the risk of being without a car for any extended period of time. Ironically, that very situation happened anyway about three weeks ago—I got a blinking CEL and very notable engine shudder about 30 miles from home. Ended up towing it back and pulled a misfire code in cylinder 3 and upon inspecting the plugs (which I had just done at the same time as the SC install only ~3,000 miles prior), had a good amount of oil on both it and within the spark plug well. After removing the valve cover, things only got worse. One of the rockers managed to dislodge itself and ended up tearing the plug seal. Did a compression test and it was in the normal range at 140 psi, but the cams as well as the valve cover needed to be replaced regardless. This prompted the engine removal and, ultimately, the purchase of the Ascent.

Speaking of, just got tints on the driver and pass. side windows as well as the windshield. But the real reason I went to this particular shop was to get started on the chrome delete:

But yea, definitely take a test drive in a BRZ (or FRS, or GT86) if you haven't already. You definitely know more about tracking one than I do so I can't give much more advice other than to join the Facebook Marketplace group. There are FS ads being listed every day all around the country so you may be able to find a good deal on a high mileage MY13 in your area that you can beat on for sure.

Here's some of damage:
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Metal Automotive super charger part
Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Pipe Metal
Auto part Hardware accessory

What had you been tracking previously?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Damn...a rocker coming loose? That is odd and I'm surprised more things didn't get damaged. Are those mechanically adjusted or hydraulic? Is it a common issue among those motors? That simply shouldn't happen unless if you over-rev the hell out of the motor.

What have i tracked...so I started autocrossing in 2002 with my daily driver, a 2000 Nissan Sentra SE. Cool car, torquey, limited slip. I eventually put that car on the track and got hooked. In 2005, I went to the Solo Nationals in Topeka, KS with a friend in his 2000 Audi S4. V6, twin turbo, AWD animal that made 450whp and 500wtq. We were running 285/30-18 all around. He placed 11th and I placed 14th out of 41. Not bad for a heavy pig. I eventually bought a pristine (poor car) 91 Honda Civic Si around 2004. The slippery slope began, it got gutted out, roll cage, etc. I built the stock 1.6l SOHC motor which was 108hp from the factory into an 8,200RPM 12:1 CR little monster. It did 152whp or just about 180 at the crank...pushing 1800 lbs around the track. I had EVERY intention of turbo charging that motor (it was built for it...even at that CR) expecting to make around 230whp/230wtq. But, life, kids, divorce have a way of changing your plans. The photo below shows the Civic the day i sold it. I've been jonesing lately to buy another toy...let's see what the cards have in my favor!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice! I really do need to get out there, it's never too late to start, right? And hey, if you want, I can Photoshop an Ascent towing your Si. :LOL:

Far as the FA20, I have yet to further diagnose the issue. I'm fortunate to have a neighbor who works at a Subaru specialty garage so I have him to tap for any lack of knowledge or specialty tools (both of which I don't have much!).

Have you done anything else to your Ascent? I replied to an old post talking about spacers—threw some 20mm's on over the weekend as a sort of consolation prize to the failed blackout, hehe. Also placed an order with Nameless Performance for their 5" axleback, though delivery won't be for another 7-8 weeks.

·
Registered
2020, Ascent Limited CWP, 2010 Legacy Limited SWP, 2013 STI Hatchback PBP
10 Posts
im also from the DMV area, and had to go through my STI the same way a year ago.Here is a flyer my friends from work made me and some carnage of a spun rod bearing. Shes all built now thanks to Yates Auto, Andrew Yates is well known in the area for Subarus if you need some help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't done anything to Ascent...it is mainly the wife's vehicle. Cobb accessport is on my list of to-do though.
Very nice. Please post updates on how the AP does. Watched a very detailed (and long) video by RalliTEK putting the OTS 87+ Stage 1 tune through its paces—gains were impressive on paper, but we all know butt dyno is what really counts!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts