Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I started in early September looking at sedans and maybe a rinky-dink crossover. Researched and drove just about every make in the segments. Almost settled on a CR-V, but found it too tight for our needs (camping, etc.). Eventually moved up the margin some more and it came down to a tight race between the Pilot, CX-9 and the Ascent. Kept coming back to the Ascent, got a price I liked, and finally made the decision. It's on order now; it'll be here in early March.

We went with the:

• Abyss Blue 8-passenger Ascent Premium
  • 12/RAB package
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Fog Lights
  • Body Side Moldings
  • 10 year/100K 0-deductible Gold+ extended warranty
Total taxable amount was $35,866, inclusive of dealer fees. The only thing to add is 8% tax and ~$75 DMV registration

On Subaru.com, the MSRP of the vehicle comes out to $37,840. Adding in the MRSP of the extended warranty ($2750) comes to a total MSRP of $40,410. That would include destination and delivery but not the ~$450 dealer fee.

So on paper it looks like I saved about five grand off MSRP, which seems pretty good. I know there's a lot of room in the warranty, but given the first-model-year jitters, it was a necessary part of going with the Ascent. I did search a lot of regional Internet offers and a couple local dealers, so I'm satisfied that it was the best I could do.

Thoughts? Care to welcome me to the Ascent On-order Waiting Room?

(On a side note, the dealer has an in-stock Limited for $4000 more. I'm tempted to jump up to the SRH, but I've already gone through a lot of margin creep. I guess the question is whether the original deal is a 'deal' per se, and whether the leap between Premium and Limited is a similar good buy (if at all).

·
Registered
113 Posts
The only thing to add is 8% tax and ~$75 DMV registration.
Welcome on board! Sounds like you made a good decision, even with the inflated extended warranty.

But 8% sales tax! Man, that’s a killer! And I cringed over 4.15% here in Virginia. What state charges this much if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome on board! Sounds like you made a good decision, even with the inflated extended warranty.

But 8% sales tax! Man, that’s a killer! And I cringed over 4.15% here in Virginia. What state charges this much if you don’t mind me asking?
I would have loved to have paid only 8% sales tax. In my county sales tax is 9.5%!! In total tax and license = 11.5%. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow! I started in early September looking at sedans and maybe a rinky-dink crossover. Researched and drove just about every make in the segments. Almost settled on a CR-V, but found it too tight for our needs (camping, etc.). Eventually moved up the margin some more and it came down to a tight race between the Pilot, CX-9 and the Ascent. Kept coming back to the Ascent, got a price I liked, and finally made the decision. It's on order now; it'll be here in early March.

We went with the:

• Abyss Blue 8-passenger Ascent Premium
  • 12/RAB package
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Fog Lights
  • Body Side Moldings
  • 10 year/100K 0-deductible Gold+ extended warranty
Total taxable amount was $35,866, inclusive of dealer fees. The only thing to add is 8% tax and ~$75 DMV registration

On Subaru.com, the MSRP of the vehicle comes out to $37,840. Adding in the MRSP of the extended warranty ($2750) comes to a total MSRP of $40,410. That would include destination and delivery but not the ~$450 dealer fee.

So on paper it looks like I saved about five grand off MSRP, which seems pretty good. I know there's a lot of room in the warranty, but given the first-model-year jitters, it was a necessary part of going with the Ascent. I did search a lot of regional Internet offers and a couple local dealers, so I'm satisfied that it was the best I could do.

Thoughts? Care to welcome me to the Ascent On-order Waiting Room?

(On a side note, the dealer has an in-stock Limited for $4000 more. I'm tempted to jump up to the SRH, but I've already gone through a lot of margin creep. I guess the question is whether the original deal is a 'deal' per se, and whether the leap between Premium and Limited is a similar good buy (if at all).
Are the accessories like side molding and fog lights coming factory installed or is the dealer installing them when they get the vehicle?

Sounds like a solid deal if it includes those accessories.

I am on the fence also between the premium and limited. A few extra features on the limited like the fog lights I want, but I know they can be added.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I would have loved to have paid only 8% sales tax. In my county sales tax is 9.5%!! In total tax and license = 11.5%. :tango_face_surprise
Thanks! Around the time we pick up I think I'll ask how he broke the prices down. By and large I was focused on the out-the-door price. I got a good feel for how certain things cost based on price differences between/among dealers. I have a good idea of the range of the extended warranty, but not specifically what it's adding to the otd price here. In the end, their final price for the vehicle, options and warranty was significantly lower than what I was getting elsewhere, so however they juggled it, it worked out well enough.

We're in New York. Tax rates are based on a combination of county and state, so there's a bit of variation. I'd shudder to find out how tax rates work inside the city!

Are the accessories like side molding and fog lights coming factory installed or is the dealer installing them when they get the vehicle?

Sounds like a solid deal if it includes those accessories.

I am on the fence also between the premium and limited. A few extra features on the limited like the fog lights I want, but I know they can be added.

Good luck!
Good question about the moldings/fog lights. The sales order doesn't make a distinction. I can't think of a reason to have a preference. As in, aside from problems (e.g. the moldings are put on crooked), is there any difference to me? If the dealer has a way of saving a couple bucks here or there, I don't mind --- as long as it doesn't affect the quality or longevity of the vehicle.

Come to think of it, my intuition is on factory-installed. For the dealer to turn a profit on the accessories, their price for the part would have to be significantly lower than their price to order. "Significantly" because they have to cover the labour of installing the part as well, both in direct time and opportunity cost. It may be small, but still needs to be there to make it worth the trouble of installing it themselves.

Every time I tempted myself with the Limited I kept going back to my compared feature list. One of my spreadsheet tabs had just the differences I valued (i.e. I don't care about mirror colors).

For me, it came down to:

• Cloth v. leather;
  • Halogen v. steering-responsive;
  • Standard dash v. indigo-like dash;
  • Turn signals in the mirrors;
  • 18 v. 20 inch wheels;
  • Heated second row seats; and
  • Heated steering wheel.

Have to say the Limited being in stock was also tempting, but factory-ordered means no/minimal test driving. So during the break-in period no one will have floored it to see how powerful the engine is, etc. (Again, I'm skittish about the first model year, so every little bit helps.)

I've had leather seats for several years in an Acura and an Infiniti. They're nice, but four thousand dollars nice? The headlights are really the main thing I want from the upgrade, but again, are they worth four grand? The other thing, like the leather seats, are nice but don't quite hold four grand in value -- for me. I can easily see a different list or a different way of valuing the differences.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good question about the moldings/fog lights. The sales order doesn't make a distinction. I can't think of a reason to have a preference. As in, aside from problems (e.g. the moldings are put on crooked), is there any difference to me? If the dealer has a way of saving a couple bucks here or there, I don't mind --- as long as it doesn't affect the quality or longevity of the vehicle.

Come to think of it, my intuition is on factory-installed. For the dealer to turn a profit on the accessories, their price for the part would have to be significantly lower than their price to order. "Significantly" because they have to cover the labour of installing the part as well, both in direct time and opportunity cost. It may be small, but still needs to be there to make it worth the trouble of installing it themselves.

Every time I tempted myself with the Limited I kept going back to my compared feature list. One of my spreadsheet tabs had just the differences I valued (i.e. I don't care about mirror colors).

For me, it came down to:

• Cloth v. leather;
  • Halogen v. steering-responsive;
  • Standard dash v. indigo-like dash;
  • Turn signals in the mirrors;
  • 18 v. 20 inch wheels;
  • Heated second row seats; and
  • Heated steering wheel.

Have to say the Limited being in stock was also tempting, but factory-ordered means no/minimal test driving. So during the break-in period no one will have floored it to see how powerful the engine is, etc. (Again, I'm skittish about the first model year, so every little bit helps.)

I've had leather seats for several years in an Acura and an Infiniti. They're nice, but four thousand dollars nice? The headlights are really the main thing I want from the upgrade, but again, are they worth four grand? The other thing, like the leather seats, are nice but don't quite hold four grand in value -- for me. I can easily see a different list or a different way of valuing the differences.

Yeah, I guess I don't really care who installs it either as long as it is installed correctly. I was just curious as I have seen a couple Premiums online with moldings but didn't know if they came from the factory or if the dealer added them. It is a an accessory that I do want. I would assume you are correct though that it is facotry installed because of the labor. I like the look of the moldings and I think the fog lights complete the front. I also like the turn signal mirrors and 20 inch wheels, but those are things I can probably live without. If I am not careful I get into the Limited price range. I can take or leave the leather since the cloth seats are heated, although a heated steering wheel might be cool to have. I am finding mostly Premiums.

I too am thinking it would be nice to have one that no one has driven. The one I test drove already had over 100 miles and the sales man said it was just from test drives.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I guess I don't really care who installs it either as long as it is installed correctly.
I think it’d make a difference if they weren’t designed with adding-on in mind. I worked at a body shop in the early 90s and there were two types of moldings. Most were adhesive-backed, but some had special retaining clips. Adhesive moldings could be put on at any time by anyone who knew what they were doing. The ones with clips were on vehicles that had them as part of their design, not as an option. I wouldn’t want anyone drilling through my door panel outside a factory, but as long as the moldings are on straight (definitely something to pay attention to!), there shouldn’t be a difference.

Same with the fog lights. If they’re done at a dealer, assuming all else is good I’d look at the dash where they removed cutouts for switch installation and the like. This is admittedly pedantic and possibly paranoid, but it’s the only difference I can think of factory/dealer-wise.

The turn signal mirrors and headlights were definitely the most tempting for me (though I hope I won’t regret the leather/cloth choice in coming years).

What makes larger wheels better? I’ve never made the choice before and in different vehicles couldn’t begin to guess at what size the wheels are. Do they handle/drive much differently? If you test drove two vehicles back-to-back without knowing which had which, would you be able to tell? Or is it a style/look thing?

The Premium/Limited choice sure is tough though. I did all of my pricing based on out-the-door numbers, but for this I peeked into the payment differences. A four-grand difference over five years at the 3.49 promotional rate is only about $73 per month. That’s not all that much broken down that way. But ... but four grand is a lot of other toys. Or heck, a big bump up in life insurance or contribution to the retirement fund, etc.

I too am thinking it would be nice to have one that no one has driven. The one I test drove already had over 100 miles and the sales man said it was just from test drives.
The more I’ve talked to people about the pick-up/order difference the more excited I am about being the first real driver of the vehicle. That part’s a bit silly, but I can’t say it’s not there. Kind of like buying a gift and choosing a box three or four deep instead of the one at the edge of the shelf. No fingerprints, no wrinkled cardboard from being opened, just a completely pristine item.

Plus, now that I’ve started thinking about it, I test drove at least ten different vehicles, from sedans to corssovers to SUVs at several different dealerships — and each one suggested testing out what the engine could do (ohh, feel the power!). Page 372 of the Ascent Owners Manual(PDF) says:
The performance and long life of your vehicle are dependent on how you handle and care for your vehicle while it is new. Follow these instructions during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):

• Do not race the engine or allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency. Do not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed, either fast or slow.
  • void starting suddenly and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency.
  • Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency.
All suggested “opening ‘er up” throttle-wise, and several wanted to show off their vehicles stopping power. Small potatoes maybe, but how many test drives in a hundred miles? With a new-model engine that hasn’t had all its bugs worked out, that could make a difference years down the line. Aren’t boxer engines known for head gasket issues?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts