Subaru Ascent Forum banner

I bought TWO ASCENTS! Here's why!

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  RobertD 
#1 ·
It amazes me too, to be honest. We purchased our first Ascent in April 2019 Metallic Silver Touring (Canadian trim). At that time I was lurking in the forums and was not a member. I did the research, the wife and I did our diligence and test drove many competitors at that time. It was a no brainer for us then. This was to be HER car, the family hauler. We had twin boys summer 2019 (and one older son) hence the reason for the vehicle.

We just purchased a second Ascent, a 2020 Grey magnetite Touring with no charge 20" wheels included.

In 2019 every chance I had I drove her car. I loved it. With her permission, I began the modification process, and it looks and drives nothing like a stock Ascent anymore :) I've posted elsewhere the list of mods.
I drive a 2014 Outback Touring 6spd MT that was, shockingly, boring me now. So we began the process of looking for a new vehicle again. I would take the current Ascent from her, we were looking for another mid size SUV for her.

Here are some notes about the ones we seriously considered. Many we did not even look at based any many factors, including much information available in these threads of competitors. Many I did not mention below were considered and also test driven.

It really came down to CX-9, Highlander, and XC-90.

CX-9: It handled the best out of any of the vehicles in this category as @Percy Garris has noted as well. It was tight in corners, great suspension, very fun to drive. The Turbo on that 2.5 I4 was horrendous. Or maybe it was the transmission. It felt very confused at most speeds. The tachometer was dancing all over the place. The engine noise was very intrusive. It was also the most cramped in all rows and the smallest vehicle we looked at.

Highlander: I really wanted a Highlander. I wanted the reliability of the name, 3.5L V6 NA engine, and their 6 and 8 speed autos. It is cosmetically appealing outside and in. The center console is laid out WAY nicer than the Ascent (ie cord management), and the cup holders will actually hold a bottle of sorts. It drives very nicely, predictably, and handled well. The new 2020 (Limited trim only?) has a terrain-select feature which I do not think is available on 2019 and previous. I am not suggesting that the typical AWD or even this terrain-select feature parallels the Ascent, but I think it's nice to have for a full time road vehicle. ie My ascent is the road tripper, soft-roader, camping vehicle. I also like the Hybrid systems they have available, should some folks want that tech, but not for me. The only problem is PRICE. Wow, for a comparable feature trim/packages/accessories I was paying $8000 CAD more than the ascent. So looking at used vehicles I would be getting a 2017-2018 with 30-50000Km on it. Not worth the premium to me. I was bummed. We had our heart set on a new HL.

XC-90 - WAY too expensive, breaching luxury territory. TO ME, not worth it.

Pilot- Big, spacious, very pedestrian (cheap) looking inside and out. Again, comparable features, was $4-6000 more. I think it's iVTM AWD is leaps and bounds above everyone else and maybe getting closer to Subaru.

Explorer - comfortable seats was the only good thing I have to say about it... enough said.

In the end we both surprised ourselves. Throughout the process, it's important to consider many options, have fun, do research, don't make snap decision, and prepare to change your mind/perception about certain brands and your pre-conceived notions.

Anyone else out there have TWO ascents? :0)

See less See more
#2 ·
We don't have two Ascents, but as of this past Saturday, Professor Dr. SWMBO now drives a 2020 Forester Limited which, for all practical purposes, is a "mini-me" of my Ascent in almost every way. :) It's even the same exterior color. LOL

It sounds like you made the best choice for your family and that's the bottom line!

Reactions: gmatt1000
#8 · (Edited)
The Metallic Grey Magnetite is my preferred color for sure. I don't think it is the BEST mid-SUV in its category, but the factors that I value, including price, it was impossible to beat. Just buy it! ha

Other than that you'll have to be a lot more specific, but there are likely answers to many of the questions you have in this forum. Happy Reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.