Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four months ago we picked up our new Ascent Limited, two weeks earlier than promised. Even though I had been the proud owner of a 1985 GL for thirty years, I felt like a Subaru newbie. While we waited for delivery, I digested all the online manuals and watched all the YouTube videos I could find. I was mentally prepared to love the car but it has exceeded all my expectations.

Three days after we drove it off the lot, we had an untypical snowstorm. It was almost embarrassing how easily we drove around stranded cars and drivers struggling to climb the hill we climbed with ease. Sensing problems with out of control drivers, we diverted up a steeper hill, climbed and descended in X-Mode without a hiccup.

In February, we took our first road trip, a thousand miles to southern Oregon and back. We managed to try out all the features of the Ascent in typical winter weather. Our return leg of 520 miles took nine hours and twenty minutes, including lunch stop. That was a record for that frequently traveled route and I never felt any fatigue.

In spite of the horror stories I’ve read on this forum, we decided our travel this year would be a road trip. We planned a nineteen day, 4,000 mile excursion from our home in northwest Washington to the national parks of the southwest. And back. We added stops in Albuquerque, Tucson and Medford, Oregon to visit family and friends.

The Ascent performed flawlessly and we got a greater appreciation of how comfortable the car is. We traveled all kinds of roads in mostly good weather. Once we hit Idaho, we had eighty mile per hour speed limits. Mileage dropped a little below advertised at eighty plus. The ride was smooth and quiet even at warp speed. My wife commented on how we were hearing instruments in our vintage tunes we hadn’t noticed before. That was during our one foray above the 90 MPH mark. We noticed a little hood flutter when semis would pass us going in the opposite direction. Acceleration was great when we needed it on two lane roads. The only problem we encountered was an accumulation of bug splats on the windshield.

Without airline luggage limitations, we loaded the car for maximum comfort away from home. That seemed to have no effect on the ride or our mileage. Our last leg was mostly on level freeway and we had the best mileage of the trip, over 28 MPG. The worst mileage we got was with a tank of off brand gas.

We had our 6,000 mile service yesterday and everything looked good. They even removed the bug splats.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We just took possession of our Ascent Touring in April and have 3K+ on it already and our experience so far matches yours. The car is a dream to drive! It gets the advertised MPG for both City/Highway in spite of a more lead foot around our city. Gotta love that turbo!! It really smokes most of the other SUV's. But we got it because we have 2 dogs a son and we love to travel. So far no issues.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Great write up of your trip! It's nice to be reminded that most people are using and enjoying their Ascent as it was intended.

We did an 8,000 mile trip with 2 dogs and a load of stuff last winter, also with zero issues.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have similar experience here. Our Ascent is just about to hit 12k miles and we have taken it on a couple 10+ hour trips with a full load and the car performs very well. Our recent 12 hour round trip to the beach netted us 28 mpg with a hitch carrier on the back.

Thus far the only thing I can complain about is that I have taken a rock chip in the hood and will have to get some touch up paint ha. I'll probably spend the money on a clear bra for the front of the car in the near future.

I started liking Subaru because of my WRX, but the Ascent made me love Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
'Glad you had a great experience traveling! I'm very much looking forward to a little 2000+ mile round trip toward the end of the month to visit my mother in central Florida and see how the "highway-highway" performance is. Prior to retirement, I would have already known that because of frequent business travel, but most of my driving is "rural local" these days.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Four months ago we picked up our new Ascent Limited, two weeks earlier than promised. Even though I had been the proud owner of a 1985 GL for thirty years, I felt like a Subaru newbie. While we waited for delivery, I digested all the online manuals and watched all the YouTube videos I could find. I was mentally prepared to love the car but it has exceeded all my expectations.

Three days after we drove it off the lot, we had an untypical snowstorm. It was almost embarrassing how easily we drove around stranded cars and drivers struggling to climb the hill we climbed with ease. Sensing problems with out of control drivers, we diverted up a steeper hill, climbed and descended in X-Mode without a hiccup.

In February, we took our first road trip, a thousand miles to southern Oregon and back. We managed to try out all the features of the Ascent in typical winter weather. Our return leg of 520 miles took nine hours and twenty minutes, including lunch stop. That was a record for that frequently traveled route and I never felt any fatigue.

In spite of the horror stories I’ve read on this forum, we decided our travel this year would be a road trip. We planned a nineteen day, 4,000 mile excursion from our home in northwest Washington to the national parks of the southwest. And back. We added stops in Albuquerque, Tucson and Medford, Oregon to visit family and friends.

The Ascent performed flawlessly and we got a greater appreciation of how comfortable the car is. We traveled all kinds of roads in mostly good weather. Once we hit Idaho, we had eighty mile per hour speed limits. Mileage dropped a little below advertised at eighty plus. The ride was smooth and quiet even at warp speed. My wife commented on how we were hearing instruments in our vintage tunes we hadn’t noticed before. That was during our one foray above the 90 MPH mark. We noticed a little hood flutter when semis would pass us going in the opposite direction. Acceleration was great when we needed it on two lane roads. The only problem we encountered was an accumulation of bug splats on the windshield.

Without airline luggage limitations, we loaded the car for maximum comfort away from home. That seemed to have no effect on the ride or our mileage. Our last leg was mostly on level freeway and we had the best mileage of the trip, over 28 MPG. The worst mileage we got was with a tank of off brand gas.

We had our 6,000 mile service yesterday and everything looked good. They even removed the bug splats.
Are you still feeling the same?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.